TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford cutting back on NHRA Racing

robertlane

• 2 weeks later...

Think swithing more to grass roots racing support is a good thing. They sink a lot of money into "big time" racing like NHRA and NASCAR and the products running really have nothing to do with Ford. All the NASCAR vehicles are the same with just different manufacturer stickers... Maybe going back to more grassroots racing, supporting the true consumers of your performance products will equate to a return of the"win on Sunday, sell on Monday"

Uh-oh. I hope it is not 1970-71 again.

Yes, the more I see of all car companies trying to de-size engines and HP, as well as disavowing any racing interests. I suspect the HP wars are over, and you won if you bought recently or soon, the future is not bright for performance.

I think Ford may see the writing on the wall. They probably sink more money in to NASCAR than any other sport and where is the return? You don't sell more Fusions because of NASCAR. Actually it is to sell more F 150's, etc. But I could see a cut back in NASCAR on the horizon. And NASCAR has only themselves to blame after they make it a Chevrolet show year after year. Dodge is already gone. If Ford drops out, as they did in 1970 or 71, it would be the end of NASCAR.

Yes. I was watching Meechum Auto Auctions and saw the last year for a Hemi Cuda convertible. It went for 750,000.00. I was in shock. Now apparently there were few of the last year hemi convertibles and of that particular color but the bidding was insane.

I wouldn't compare the Hemi Cuda convertibles (of which there were only 14 in 1970 and 7 in 1971) to the current GT500 (of which there were thousands built). I think the GT500's will hold their value better than most cars and one day may actually increase in price but nothing like the Hemi Cuda Verts or other super limited rare musclecars.

Yes. I was watching Meechum Auto Auctions and saw the last year for a Hemi Cuda convertible. It went for 750,000.00. I was in shock. Now apparently there were few of the last year hemi convertibles and of that particular color but the bidding was insane.

Yes, there were only 11 built (ten still exist it is thought), because that is all that were ordered, nobody wanted one really.

http://news.barrett-jackson.com/barrett-jackson-scottsdales-2013-salon-collection-to-include-rare-1971-plymouth-hemi-cuda-convertible/

The Hemi Chargers were just as rare, only 63 were built, and the Hemi Challengers, only 71 produced, no convertibles.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see the cars of today being worth what the classics are worth due to numbers made. My dad had a 70 Coronet R/T only 2200 made, that today is worth between $20-$100k depending on how well restored it is. However EPA and Obama are pushing for alternative fuel or electric cars. That being the case Cars of to day will only be bought by super rich in extremely small quantities, because of outrageous fuel prices. The electric car is taking over, and the high power cars we have may be museum piece, like my fathers old R/T. Cars of today that roll of the assembly line are not rare enough to hold value, but cars that are built by Shelby American are very limited, and will hold value, as long as the market is willing to accommodate. Me personally am using the car I bought.

Maybe true, even though there is not an oil shortage and it is now thought that the US may have more oil than the middle east. But strangely there will continue to be shortages so the price of oil stays very high. Or should I say it is a contrived shortage so that the democrats and republicans can be bought by the oil companies to keep the oil cost high. Again, there is no shortage. But if you limit where you can drill then there is a shortage. A contrived, manipulated shortage. Of course we will be told it is about the EPA and air pollution and global warming. The hand is faster than the eye. Diversion.

I think Ford may see the writing on the wall. They probably sink more money in to NASCAR than any other sport and where is the return? You don't sell more Fusions because of NASCAR. Actually it is to sell more F 150's, etc. But I could see a cut back in NASCAR on the horizon. And NASCAR has only themselves to blame after they make it a Chevrolet show year after year. Dodge is already gone. If Ford drops out, as they did in 1970 or 71, it would be the end of NASCAR.

I wouldn't loose any sleep if Ford dropped out of NASCAR at all. I might even throw a little party! :drool::shoppingcart_::wub2: :bandance: :happy feet:

I love watching Fords race and win. But in the GM cup series that is few and far between for cars that are supposedly created so equal. So while I used to love to watch NASCAR, going back to the mid-60's, it is certainly waning for me and many others also. I don't think I would buy stock in NASCAR. It's future, in my opinion, is tenous. And they deserve it. Dodge has already left and if Ford leaves they are really going to be hurting. I think Ford only stays in to sell F-150 trucks.

Archived