TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Thinking of purchasing an oil catch can (JLT)

venom

I see that many of the members here are running JLT oil catch cans on their passenger side.

So what's the best price and place to order and are there any private sales codes or promotion codes I can use to order?

I see that many of the members here are running JLT oil catch cans on their passenger side.

So what's the best price and place to order and are there any private sales codes or promotion codes I can use to order?

Wait till JLT gets the new filter approved for market. This new catch can is anticipated to perforrm much better than existing catch cans. The new style was to be released in early July, but filter supplier problems has delayed it release.

Wait till JLT gets the new filter approved for market. This new catch can is anticipated to perforrm much better than existing catch cans. The new style was to be released in early July, but filter supplier problems has delayed it release.

I have noticed it does not seem to catch much. For those of us that already purchased it, any idea on if there might be an option to puchase just the "cans" and/or filter media that goes in the "cans" at a reduced price from the full kit?

I have noticed it does not seem to catch much. For those of us that already purchased it, any idea on if there might be an option to puchase just the "cans" and/or filter media that goes in the "cans" at a reduced price from the full kit?

From my readings on another website, there will be an option to replace the filter wiithout replacing the entire unit.

From test results posted on youtube, the Shelby model is just a copy of the JLT with the bottom made a little differently to get around any patent issues. Neither seem to work well at all when compared to other manufacturers. Regardless of what you put on the drivers side, it will catch very little, if any, oil. Passenger side is a different story. Do some research on other sites and you will quickly find which make works the best. It is designed very differently from the majority of those on the market.

I had JLT catch cans installed on both passenger and driver sides of my 08 GT500. I had the issue with the broken fittings that a lot of folks had.

A photo and quick email to Jay and I had new fittings a few days later. (All units are now shipped with better Alum. fittings so no worries there). When I was replacing the broken fittings on the passenger side separator I noticed there was oil trapped in the filter media at the top of the can but hardly anything at all in the can itself. There was also oil in the hoses on both sides of the can. It appeared to me that the oil was moving right across the top of the separator and not much was getting collected in the can itself. Although it does collect some oil I had a suspicion that more was making it past the separator. A short time later I see where Jay is developing a new filter media that is supposed to be an improvement over the original and was planning to go that route, but in my haste, after a couple of late night clicks of the mouse, I had me a Bob's oil separator sittin' on the bench. Now, I had never liked the idea of hanging a big canister off the side of the engine. The JLT catch can installs easily and looks fantastic. Jay is a stand up guy that I would do business with again, but in its current configuration the JLT oil separator IMO does not collect the amount of oil that the Bob's does. My test was not scientific. I simply put about 500 miles on the car driving the same way I normally do and noticed that it was catching more oil than I had ever seen in the JLT. I still really do prefer the look, quality and ease of installation of the JLT unit and to be fair and to satisfy my own curiosity I will still pony up for the new filter media when it makes it to market. If it works better than the current unit I will switch back. On a side note, I didn't consider the Shelby unit as it looked like a knock off of the JLT and I figured it would perform the same.

Chip

These threads seem like broken records on the forums. I'm no engineer but one can look at the design of the Bob's separator in comparison to others and understand why it is superior to the other designs and why it collects more. Changing filter media in the others may help, but I don't believe it will catch more oil than the Bob's units even after this upgrade due to them not changing the overall design. Shelby should have copied Bob's and not JLT's in my opinion. I waited and waited for the Shelby unit and then the day they released it and I saw it's design I ordered the Bob's unit. I should have just ordered Bob's right away and called it good. I waited for nothing on that one.

Dare I say, but comparing Bob's separator to JLT/Shelby is like comparing a carbon fiber driveshaft to an aluminum one. Both are better than stock, but one is still better than the other the same amount the one (aluminum/JLT/Shelby) is better over stock configuration.

Archived