TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby brake reservoir caps.. chewing up plastic?

After running the Shelby billet caps, I noticed that pieces of the plastic that 'locks' down the plastic brake fluid reservoir are starting to get ground off due to the 'sharp' edge of the billet tabs under the caps. Has anyone else had this problem?

Not looking forward to having to replace that reservoir. Might just go back to the stock plastic cap. :drop:

5s3z_2162_sl_sd_2005_2009_mustang_gt_bil

After running the Shelby billet caps, I noticed that pieces of the plastic that 'locks' down the plastic brake fluid reservoir are starting to get ground off due to the 'sharp' edge of the billet tabs under the caps. Has anyone else had this problem?

Not looking forward to having to replace that reservoir. Might just go back to the stock plastic cap. :drop:

While not familiar with your cap issue I'm curious how often are you removing the cap? Every time you remove the brake reservoir cap you're allowing moisture to enter the system. This is one of the reasons manufacturers switched to plastic reservoirs so that brake fluid level could be checked without removing the cap.

Are these sharp edges something that could be ground down with say a Dremel tool?

Steve

While not familiar with your cap issue I'm curious how often are you removing the cap? Every time you remove the brake reservoir cap you're allowing moisture to enter the system. This is one of the reasons manufacturers switched to plastic reservoirs so that brake fluid level could be checked without removing the cap.

Are these sharp edges something that could be ground down with say a Dremel tool?

Steve

Removed whenever bleeding the brakes. I was running quite a few track events per year with the car. It is possible they could be dremeled, although one would think when paying $50 for a cap it shouldn't need to be modified in any way.

The edges can definitely be felt by running your finger around them under the cap.

Removed whenever bleeding the brakes. I was running quite a few track events per year with the car. It is possible they could be dremeled, although one would think when paying $50 for a cap it shouldn't need to be modified in any way.

The edges can definitely be felt by running your finger around them under the cap.

No disagreement there, was just offering a possible solution to your dilemma.

Steve

Any chance you can snap a picture of the bottom of the 321 brake cap? The Shelby piece has sharp edges due to the shape it was cut.

Will get under the hood on Friday for sure.

Will get a pic for you.

Steve

Yeah, my thoughts exactly.

I'm not in CO but when I get back I plan to check my caps and if they are sharp, will take a small file to the underside and chamfer the edge a little.

Easy peasy.

Phill

Are these caps snapped on? My billet Shelby GT-H brake reservoir cap is a twist on 1/4 turn or so. I do realize this is a GT-500 but would think the reservoir is similar if not the same.

Reservoir is the same.

The cap screws on the same as what you are describing.

attachicon.gifIMG_0374.jpg

Hope this works.

Excuse the piece of paper that managed to fall into the cap as I took the pic.

Will try and get another one posted.

Have to re-size it quick.

Looks good to me. So it looks like the 321 cap reuses the stock cap and simply covers it? That would be the best design choice for the reservoir.

The 321 cap is a complete unit exclusive of the stock one.

The entire set came complete, I didn't use anything from any of the stock caps except the power steering one.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I have not experienced any plastic reservoir damage, but I did buy a MOROSO brake reservoir cover, had the "MOROSO" removed, powder coated the aluminum 20% gloss black, slipped it over my M/C reservoir and put my cap back in place. The aluminum MOROSO cover protects the plastic and also matches the dark Shelby coolant tank look. <<And the powder coat will hold up against brake fluid somewhat better in comparison to spray paint in a dark color. For powder coat longevity, it would probably be wise to unscrew the cap, slip the M/C cover off of the M/C, do whatever needs to be done with the brake fluid and then put the cover and cap back in place, just to preserve the powder coat on the M/C cover.

005-9.jpg

0032-6.jpg

If you research a M/C cover, you will find that there is a "B4 and after" production date that splits in 2008 (I think). SPP offers the "after" production date cover which has a different shaped plastic M/C reservoir. The MOROSO M/C cover shown above is for the "B4 production date" cars.

Shown below are the two different M/C covers, "B4 date" shown first (which is on my 2008)...............

MOR-74221_zps7a82a23c.jpg

"After date" which is also offered by SPP...........

MOR-74222_zps94449866.jpg

R

I just purchased the entire set of GT500 Billet Caps and installed them a few weeks ago. Car is still in storage, however.

I also purchased (have not arrived yet) coolant tanks from Revan Racing, that will be powder coated and then painted a gloss piano black and the etched aluminum brake resevoir cap from SA.

Will check all mine for burs and remove such, however it should not matter on the coolant tanks.

Thanks for the heads up on this topic.

I may be one of the very few who have the aluminum brake reservoir cover for my '09 GT500KR.

Unbeknownst to me and many others, the brake reservoir for the '08 and '09 cars are different. The '08's are bigger. SAI made brake reservoir covers for KR owners and as far as I know, only made them in one size.

I'll have to remember to post a pic here.

I may be one of the very few who have the aluminum brake reservoir cover for my '09 GT500KR.

Unbeknownst to me and many others, the brake reservoir for the '08 and '09 cars are different. The '08's are bigger. SAI made brake reservoir covers for KR owners and as far as I know, only made them in one size.

I'll have to remember to post a pic here.

Scroll 2 posts above, the pictures are there. The "B4 and after" production change is in the middle of 2008 if I remember correctly, so some earlier 2008's will have different M/C reservoirs from other/later 2008's.

The MOROSO cover shown on my car is the earlier design, not offered through SPP.

R

Scroll 2 posts above, the pictures are there. The "B4 and after" production change is in the middle of 2008 if I remember correctly, so some earlier 2008's will have different M/C reservoirs from other/later 2008's.

The MOROSO cover shown on my car is the earlier design, not offered through SPP.

R

Robert,

I was talking about a cover made specifically for KR's because of the inscription GT500KR engraved on them. I saw the Moroso covers before.

I checked my pictures and I don'y have one of the cover. I'll have to go in the garage to take a pic

Robert,

I was talking about a cover made specifically for KR's because of the inscription GT500KR engraved on them. I saw the Moroso covers before.

I checked my pictures and I don'y have one of the cover. I'll have to go in the garage to take a pic

I also noticed that now SPP has both M/C covers listed for sale for the B4 and After applications. I may have to get one for my Super Snake from SPP now that it is available!!

I saw both variations for the GT500KR also.

R

Archived