TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shift Boot Retainer Color and Install for GT500 Shift Knobs

ShelbyLee

For those who have gotten one, what color (black or silver) retainer did you get and does the boot somehow fit into the groove? Am I supposed to remove something from the boot first? Sorry....I slow today.

I am going to assume your 2012 is just like my 2011....

If you turn the shift boot inside out on the shift rod, it looks like this. There is a factory installed ring....

IMG_0323_zps4932674a.jpg

So, all I did, was jam one end of the retainer down into the shift boot from the outside, then threaded the shift ball on, and snugged down against it. I should note that when I did it, I had replaced the factory shift rod with a short straight shaft. It's diameter is bigger than the stock shift rod. So I had to drill out the retainer. You will not need to, so the retainer will actually thread onto the shift rod....

Finished product looks like this...

IMG_0333_zps1f8cb344.jpg

IMG_0332_zps6101ec33.jpg

IMG_0330_zpsb57b0f05.jpg

Hope it helps,

Mike

I am going to assume your 2012 is just like my 2011....

If you turn the shift boot inside out on the shift rod, it looks like this. There is a factory installed ring....

IMG_0323_zps4932674a.jpg

So, all I did, was jam one end of the retainer down into the shift boot from the outside, then threaded the shift ball on, and snugged down against it. I should note that when I did it, I had replaced the factory shift rod with a short straight shaft. It's diameter is bigger than the stock shift rod. So I had to drill out the retainer. You will not need to, so the retainer will actually thread onto the shift rod....

Finished product looks like this...

IMG_0333_zps1f8cb344.jpg

IMG_0332_zps6101ec33.jpg

IMG_0330_zpsb57b0f05.jpg

Hope it helps,

Mike

Mike, You did a great job on the install instructions.

The small groove on the bottom has to be decorative only. I got it to snug down but there is no way to get the boot around and into this groove. Unfortunately I can't view Gotoatz's photo's. They only show up with a box and a ? inside the box. Anyone know what settings I need to change to view?

The small groove on the bottom has to be decorative only. I got it to snug down but there is no way to get the boot around and into this groove. Unfortunately I can't view Gotoatz's photo's. They only show up with a box and a ? inside the box. Anyone know what settings I need to change to view?

That's odd.....Did you try right clicking the box and ? then clicking "show picture"?

Mike

• 1 year later...

Test fit it first. You don't want the top of the ball touching the stick or you could crack the knob it with additional twisting. Twist the retaining boot up to the ball and get everything snug.

Once you are ready to put it on for real, use some BLUE Loctite (not RED) on the threads.

BEWARE: Do not get Loctite on the console...it strips the color off the plastic. Ask me how I know :doh:http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/81942-loctite-disaster/

• 10 months later...

Black one. I think the groove sticks up a bit, but I dont pay too much attention to it.

Sorry for reviving a old thread but I have a new ball I need to install with a new boot retainer. Dis you have any issues un attaching the old retainer/ball combo from the boot or will it just come right off. It looks attached. I have a 13 as well

Archived