TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Has anyone installed a hide a plate bracket on their Shelby??

lsquared

Still haven't installed my front license plate on my 13' Shelby. Required to have one here in Virginia. I've been driving it since December without it but I'm trying to solve the problem before it becomes one, Want to install something that is not visible but easy to show the plate when needed. I've seen videos with brackets installed on other mustangs but no 13" Shelbys. Surely someone has some experience with this...

Still haven't installed my front license plate on my 13' Shelby. Required to have one here in Virginia. I've been driving it since December without it but I'm trying to solve the problem before it becomes one, Want to install something that is not visible but easy to show the plate when needed. I've seen videos with brackets installed on other mustangs but no 13" Shelbys. Surely someone has some experience with this...

You might also check out "No drill" brackets sold by fellow GT500 owner Craig. Details are available at http://ccmustangbrackets.com/welcome-to-craigs-custom-mustang-brackets/.

I just went through Norton's signature and bought all that applied to my needs. Including the Craig front plate bracket.

Thanks Norton! I have one question for ya tho- your Bobs Oil separator. I see they are available for driver side and passenger side, which is better?

I just went through Norton's signature and bought all that applied to my needs. Including the Craig front plate bracket.

Thanks Norton! I have one question for ya tho- your Bobs Oil separator. I see they are available for driver side and passenger side, which is better?

LOL! Glad I could help!

Most users report little (if any) oil in their driver side separators, so passenger side is definitely the higher priority. (I get ~1oz for every 1K miles driven out of mine.) Also, please learn from my mistake (and the extra cost I incurred)... Just get the Ultimate Separator from the beginning. I didn't, figuring standard hose and clamps would satisfy me. They did not. Thankfully, Steve (from Bob's Auto Sports) took pity and cut me a deal when I contacted him to get the hoses & fittings that come with the Ultimate. While greatly appreciated, I still have extra hoses and clamps that I paid for (but will never use) in my garage... :banghead:

BTW- I have bought and destroyed three of the hide a plate electrics with remote.

One scrape, the wire that is attached to the little motor breaks, and it becomes a very flimsy non electric hide a plate. I also had one that bent down during, oh, shall we say...."spirited" driving, and did quite a bit of grinding off the top of my front plate. On the plus side, it didnt rip completely off and damage anything else, so I guess it could have been much worse. But seriously, you have one scrape in the life of a 150.00 bracket, and that gets fairly expensive.

BTW- I have bought and destroyed three of the hide a plate electrics with remote.

One scrape, the wire that is attached to the little motor breaks, and it becomes a very flimsy non electric hide a plate. I also had one that bent down during, oh, shall we say...."spirited" driving, and did quite a bit of grinding off the top of my front plate. On the plus side, it didnt rip completely off and damage anything else, so I guess it could have been much worse. But seriously, you have one scrape in the life of a 150.00 bracket, and that gets fairly expensive.

You can purchase just the bottom track and motor ass'y from Altec for $80 + shipping.

You can purchase just the bottom track and motor ass'y from Altec for $80 + shipping.

Thanks! For me, 80 bucks a scrape is still too much. But I always appreciate new info!

On second thought, since a ticket for no front plate is less, im thinking just going without might be cheaper than a hide a plate. Lol

• 4 weeks later...

Just installed the Sto n Sho bracket on my 13 GT500 and it's perfect. You can't see the bracket unless you look under the car and with the plate installed it's nice looking and sturdy. Takes about 15 seconds to install/remove the plate once the bracket has been installed. Bracket installation took about 10 minutes. It installs below the front spoiler. A different install kit comes with the bracket depending on whether you have installed the additional spoiler. Try it, you'll like it. I've tried others, this is the one you want..

Just installed the Sto n Sho bracket on my 13 GT500 and it's perfect. You can't see the bracket unless you look under the car and with the plate installed it's nice looking and sturdy. Takes about 15 seconds to install/remove the plate once the bracket has been installed. Bracket installation took about 10 minutes. It installs below the front spoiler. A different install kit comes with the bracket depending on whether you have installed the additional spoiler. Try it, you'll like it. I've tried others, this is the one you want..

I'm interested in something like this but, given how low the front splitter is on its own, I'm concerned about clearance. How much lower are the bracket and your license plate?

Like Norton I was interested/intrigued by the Sto N Sho, if memory serves you have the option of drilling a hole or using the existing screws (2 of them) under the front fascia. If that is correct, I probably wouldn't opt for the drilling (just my preference). How did you set yours up? And like Norton, I'm curious, any issues w/clearance?

Thx.

The Sto N Sho comes with the hardware for your particular application and there is no need to drill anything. Simply remove four screws replace with four supplied screws and spacers and you are done. The mounting bracket sits back about 3 inches from the front of the splitter. It's about an 1/2 inch lower than the splitter but since it sits back I believe the splitter will hit first. The mounted license plate sits in front of the splitter by about 1/2 inch as well as 1/2inch lower. It will certainly hit anything before the splitter will. My plan is not to mount the plate unless absolutely necessary(to prevent a ticket). It is very easily and quickly installed/removed and very sturdy. I also have one of the Craigs brackets but the Sto N Sho fits my needs better.

lsquared, any idea what the speed rating is on the Sto N Sho, I believe it's 140mph (for a short period of time) on Big Mike's. Just curious if the Sto N Sho is the same, worse or better.

Thx!

Have no idea of a speed rating on the Sto N Sho. It's so easy to remove, you can take it off if you have the need for that much speed. It does sit in the area of the intercooler, not much but some, if I was going to try to hit that magical 200 mph I would definitely remove it. I think it will withstand as much speed as any of the other alternatives that I have seen.

Thx.

Doubt I'd be pushing 140mph+ w/a plate on but it was more of heads up question than a real concern.

I'll probably pull the trigger on the Sto N Sho while I'm gone and fit her on once I get back.

Thx again.

I'll be THAT guy-

If you are worried about your license plate staying on at 140 MPH, do you really need to care about HAVING a license plate to begin with?

In other great, punt a puppy kind of news- Texas just reinstituted a 200.00 fine for no front plate today.

.....bastards.

I'll be THAT guy-

If you are worried about your license plate staying on at 140 MPH, do you really need to care about HAVING a license plate to begin with?

In other great, punt a puppy kind of news- Texas just reinstituted a 200.00 fine for no front plate today.

.....bastards.

Dubbs,

Someone is always THAT guy, no worries.

Do I care? No. But the Polizei do and they don't :censored: around. But if there's a no drill option out there that will withstand high speeds for a sustain rate, I'm in.

When I get back from Afghanistan, I'll push the envelope (after proper break-in of course) on the Autobahn...and yes, w/out the plate :rockon:

Cobra

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Got a ticket in va. for not having a front plate ( $100 ). I now have Sto N Go.

If you have a Sto-n-Go type of removable front plate (but say you have it in the trunk of the car after leaving a car show), and you are pulled over for no front plate, can you then just open the trunk, grab the plate, insert it into the front bracket, apologize to the LEO and avoid the citation/fine?

-Pockdog

• 2 weeks later...

In Ottawa Canada you can get a custom front plate mount that bolts right in at CAMPBELL FORD on carling avenue.The SVT part manager has them custom built. (613)725-3611. They run for 110 dollars canadian or 80 usd because our exchange sucks lol

post-47332-0-75114900-1486304850_thumb.jpg

Archived