TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Just a coincidence? (Petersen Museum and the Mullin Museum)

Is it just a coincidence that the new Chairman of the Petersen Museum, the person who started selling off of over a third of the current Petersen collection, is wanting the Petersen Museum to now focus on French vehicles and antique motorcycles?

Seems like more of a conflict of interest rather than a coincidence.

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/petersen-car-sales-20130716,0,5054449.story

After reading the above article click on the link below.

http://www.mullinautomotivemuseum.com/the-foundation.html

Like many other enthusiasts I feel that this change in the museums direction is not what Robert Petersen would ever approve of. But then again look at how many automobile museums have been raided in the past. It's sad that Mr. Petersen didn't foresee this possibility.

Steve

This is really bad news. I am flying out to LA next April for my daughter's wedding and by that time possibly a lot of the cars I won't get to see. I've never been to the museum so I kinda bummed.

Does not sound like coincidence to me. Looks pretty calculated

Might be a good deal on a series 1 coming up

I was thinking the same thing. I need to do some research to see how the Petersen Museum came upon CSX5075, meaning did Bob Petersen/Petersen Museum purchase the car or did possibly Carroll gift the car to them.

Steve

I was thinking the same thing. I need to do some research to see how the Petersen Museum came upon CSX5075, meaning did Bob Petersen/Petersen Museum purchase the car or did possibly Carroll gift the car to them.

Steve

The articles mentioned that some of the cars were gifted. I would be p****d if the sold a car I gave them without it being offered back to me first

I just found this link to the museum's response on the SAAC forum.

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2013/07/18/petersen-museum-responds-to-concerns-about-change-in-focus/

Thanks for the link. Sadly all I see is a lot of double talk and not directly answering the questions posed by Hemmings.

I find it very interesting that Mr. Karges previously spoke on a radio program about the selling off of the Petersen cars but when Hemmings points out that what he said in that radio interview doesn't match whats really happening suddenly Mr. Karges says he's prohibited from speaking about the sell off due to Museum policy. Unbelievable.

I also like how Mr. Karges mentions that Bruce Meyer is still on the Petersen Board of Directors but fails to mention that Meyers is also on the Mullin Museum Board of Directors.

And this quote sums it up "While we’d like to see more than an occasional exchange of cars with the Mullin Museum, our focus will be on far more than just French cars"

Hmmm.... I'm sure you would like to see MORE than an occasional exchange, perhaps you would like to see purchases from Mullin.

Its sad to see this happening. All I can say is follow the money, follow the money.

Steve

There's a new LA Times article in regards to whats going on with the Petersen Museum and how this current board of directors is not adhering to accepted museum standards.

According to the LA Times, Bruce Meyer Meyer has declined to answer additional questions, and museum Board of Directors have refused to release a full list of the cars being sold.

Why the secrecy and circling of the wagons? Again I suspect we will only get the truth by following the money.

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-petersen-sales-ethics-20130720,0,7179182.story

Steve

Is it just a coincidence that the new Chairman of the Petersen Museum, the person who started selling off of over a third of the current Petersen collection, is wanting the Petersen Museum to now focus on French vehicles and antique motorcycles?

Seems like more of a conflict of interest rather than a coincidence.

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/petersen-car-sales-20130716,0,5054449.story

After reading the above article click on the link below.

http://www.mullinautomotivemuseum.com/the-foundation.html

Like many other enthusiasts I feel that this change in the museums direction is not what Robert Petersen would ever approve of. But then again look at how many automobile museums have been raided in the past. It's sad that Mr. Petersen didn't foresee this possibility.

Steve

Can't see how someone like Bruce Meyer would let this happen. He has enough clout meaning enough friends with big money to prevent this but being on the board of both museums seems not in the best interest of either

Do you know if that car is going to the Burbank auction?

Steve

Wow! Need to get to collecting cash then....and making airline reservations to Bob Hope, one way of course.... :happy feet:

PS, I don't know but have a friend at Auctions America (the Burbank one) and will find out.

Edited by mikeljgt500kr

Steve

From what I could dig up. it appears that Bob Petersen purchased this Series One from an auction with the proceeds going to the CSCF. So at least it wasn't a gift from Shelby although I still believe that neither Bob or Margie Petersen would be pleased with this collection sell off.

Steve