TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SPP Track Pack

TurboGT

Just picked the car up from having the full SPP(CorteX Extreme Street) Track Pack installed so I'll post an initial review and follow ups as I get more driving experience with it. I added the following items to my install: Steeda X5 ball joints, FRPP extended tie rod ends (instead of the bump steer kit) and Whiteline "anti dive" front control arm bushing kit. I had already installed a brake upgrade prior to the suspension install.

The initial settings on the watts link (second hole from the top on the diff cover), shock rebound and front alignment settings are very neutral (conservative) to start with & I'll play with them on the track in coming weeks. For the moment I still have the OEM GY F1 tires, but tomorrow will have the Michelin Pilot Super Sports (285-35ZR/18) tires put on the OEM rims which should make a big difference.

Initial impression is that the car feels much firmer - not stiff at all but more "sure footed" both in turns and over uneven terrain. As you might expect - the watts link seems to have eliminated the sketchiness of the rear end over bumps. Instead of the annoying sensation of the rear end wanting to skip out to the side in turns it seems to be wanting to plant itself squarely on the pavement. This alone is a vast improvement over the OEM suspension and was immediately apparent on the street. Probably 75-80% of the parts are aimed at improving the rear end handling so I will vouch that it is well worth the focus in that area. The front end also feels more planted and when turning you can spend more time pointing the front wheels where you want to go without wondering if the rear end will follow.

With only about 15 miles of street driving there seems to virtually no increase in NVH inside the car.

The only negative thing is that you cant see any of the parts - and they're so nice I want to show them off! Looks like I'll have to let the car speak for itself.

More to come...

With those tie rods, did you have to purchase the high temp seals to go with them?

No you do not have to purchase the seals separately . The silicone high temp seals come on the M-3130-R2 tie rod ends .

Please note that you only use the extended tie rod ends in conjunction with an extended LBJ ( like the Steeda X5 ) so that you have made the necessary correction to the steering linkage in order to match the suspension modification .

Got the new tires mounted today & although I haven't gotten to drive it hard, I know they will be a huge improvent over the OEM F1's. I now have a "square" setup with 285/35R18 on all four corners. With the new offset front dampers & smaller diameter springs there is plenty of clearance for bigger tires. The initial set up is conservative - but corners like its on rails now. No more wallowing in tight turns or wondering when the car is going to try to swap ends. This is a completely different handling car now & handles like it's much lighter.

I'm very happy with the parts and very grateful to Injected Engineering in Kennesaw, GA for doing such a meticulous job on the install.

I have a bunch of pics to post but just need to figure out how to post them.

P.S. Big THANK YOU to Albino500 for guiding me through the process and putting up with all my questions. :-)

No you do not have to purchase the seals separately . The silicone high temp seals come on the M-3130-R2 tie rod ends .

Please note that you only use the extended tie rod ends in conjunction with an extended LBJ ( like the Steeda X5 ) so that you have made the necessary correction to the steering linkage in order to match the suspension modification .

Any idea what the difference is between the x5 and x11 ball joints, besides the x11 are for '10 and up and the x5 are for 05-09?

Well the Track Pack lived up to its billing today at Atlanta Motorsports Park. The suspension and Michelin PSS tires transformed the car from a sliding, yawing, rolling beast into a very predictable, sure footed road car easily keeping up with the 911's in the turns and passing them on the straights. My tire pressures were high, front alignment is neutral and watts link is set with a pretty high roll center while I get used to the way the car handles with the new underpinnings. Whoever doubts that these earlier GT500s are only for the drag strip is welcome to take a ride and see what you think after a couple of laps.

Trying to figure out how to post a short video and a couple of photos.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived