TEAM SHELBY FORUM

1989 CSX-VNT #104. Help needed from Shelby experts.

vgibbs1

Hello all...I'm new to Team Shelby.

I'm the owner of 1989 CSX/VNT #104. I bought it 8 yrs ago from the son of the original owner. It has been in storage ever since. Since I recently retired from the Air Force, I am now in a position where I have the time and space to start the process of "gathering it up." It's mechanically sound but needs TLC, so I have a few questions from those "in-the-know".

1) I have the original invoice. Sold 06/02/89 from Salsbury's Dodge City, Inc. in Baton Rouge, LA. On the invoice under "Optional Equipment" is lists: #1 Recaro Sport Seats - Front w/Shelby Cloth. Yet, I don't think the seats in the car are the Recaro Seats. How can I tell for sure?

2) Fiberrides are structurally sound, but need to be cosmetically refurbished. They have scratches, dings, etc. and somebody put steel weights on the outer flanges...uggggh! Any suggestions on who is capable of restoring these wheels?

3) Steering wheel needs to be re-furbished. Any suggestions on who to use for this job?

4) Door window felts/sweeper/weatherstrip is dry rotted. Can't seem to find replacements. Any suggestions?

5) If anyone has any database information on #104, it would be greatly appreciated.

Again, new to the site. So, If I am posting in the wrong place or if this information already exists on the site, apologies up front. Thanks for any and all info/help.

Hello all...I'm new to Team Shelby.

I'm the owner of 1989 CSX/VNT #104. I bought it 8 yrs ago from the son of the original owner. It has been in storage ever since. Since I recently retired from the Air Force, I am now in a position where I have the time and space to start the process of "gathering it up." It's mechanically sound but needs TLC, so I have a few questions from those "in-the-know".

1) I have the original invoice. Sold 06/02/89 from Salsbury's Dodge City, Inc. in Baton Rouge, LA. On the invoice under "Optional Equipment" is lists: #1 Recaro Sport Seats - Front w/Shelby Cloth. Yet, I don't think the seats in the car are the Recaro Seats. How can I tell for sure? Easiest way is to look at the seat hinge plastic covers to see if they say Recaro on them. They will also be black plastic instead of the Chrysler gray plastic. Recaros also have quite large side bolsters along with different shaped head rests compared to OEM Shadow seats.

2) Fiberrides are structurally sound, but need to be cosmetically refurbished. They have scratches, dings, etc. and somebody put steel weights on the outer flanges...uggggh! Any suggestions on who is capable of restoring these wheels? Minor damage can be repaired by someone experienced with fiberglass. Again thats only for minor cosmetic damage. Anything more than that should be considered structural damage.

3) Steering wheel needs to be re-furbished. Any suggestions on who to use for this job? Any shop that has experience re-wrapping leather steering wheels should be able to handle that. A Google search for SW restoration should give you some leads.

4) Door window felts/sweeper/weatherstrip is dry rotted. Can't seem to find replacements. Any suggestions? Unobtainable. There is a seller on ebay that has some "inserts" for sale. From what I can tell they are not exact but if you have chunks missing from your sweeps they may be something to consider.

5) If anyone has any database information on #104, it would be greatly appreciated. A CarFax report may provide some info but if you purchased the car from the original owners family I'm not sure what info others would have on this car.

Again, new to the site. So, If I am posting in the wrong place or if this information already exists on the site, apologies up front. Thanks for any and all info/help. I've moved your thread to the Dodge Shelby section. Much better chance of being seen there by other CSX owners.

Welcome to Team Shelby, glad you found us.

I've posted some answers above in red ink to your questions.

You may want to register your Shelby with the Shelby American Registry. See my signature link below for a link to the factory Shelby Registry.

Steve

Steve,

Thanks for the welcome and the info. Seats are NOT Recaro. Now wondering why the invoice lists them, but it doesn't have them?? Hmmmmm....

Thanks for the other info as well, I'll keep the thread updated as I get more info.

Steve,

Thanks for the welcome and the info. Seats are NOT Recaro. Now wondering why the invoice lists them, but it doesn't have them?? Hmmmmm....

Thanks for the other info as well, I'll keep the thread updated as I get more info.

I just checked some factory records and 1989 Shelby CSX #104 is a NON-Recaro car. If you want to post here or email me a copy of the invoice I'll be glad to take a look at it.

Steve

Attached is a copy of the invoice. Thanks for taking the time. Very interested in why the conflict. In the meantime, I'm going to see if the dealership is still in business. If so, perhaps they still have some records regarding the transaction.

post-41595-0-20310400-1374186782_thumb.jpg

post-41595-0-20310400-1374186782_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info Steve. Unfortunately, I don't have the window sticker. I'll pull the back seat today to see if I get lucky enough to find a build sheet. The dealership is still in business. I sent them an email to see if they kept records, maybe they can shed some light on the situation.

Also, I ordered the door window sweeps (from ebay vendor) you pointed me to. I will keep the board posted on how these work out.

Out of curiosity, where do you access the "factory records" for your info? Thanks again for your help!

Virgil

Thanks for the info Steve. Unfortunately, I don't have the window sticker. I'll pull the back seat today to see if I get lucky enough to find a build sheet. The dealership is still in business. I sent them an email to see if they kept records, maybe they can shed some light on the situation.

Also, I ordered the door window sweeps (from ebay vendor) you pointed me to. I will keep the board posted on how these work out.

Out of curiosity, where do you access the "factory records" for your info? Thanks again for your help!

Virgil

Very few records survived from Whittier days and those records that did survive are not accessible to the general public.

Steve

Archived