TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New Boss 302S

mikeljgt500kr

But I guess there is no way to make them street legal, so still just a SCCA type track version of the NHRA Cobra Jet?

No real way to put these on the street. They are purpose built race cars with no VIN number. The S cars started in 2008 with the FR500S built specifically for the Ford Racing Mustang Challenge Series. It was so much fun. I was an official for that series from Grand Am for the entire time from 2008-2011. After the FR500S, they started the Boss302S which is allowed to race in the SCCA World Challenge series and a few other series in NASA AI, etc. There was also the FR500R with the Cammer 5.0 motor run the Grand-Am Continental Challenge series which was followed up the by the Boss302R. These cars are all very special. There are a few Team Shelby members here who own ex Mustang Challenge FR500S cars for track cars. All of these will most certainly be extremely collectible Mustangs in the future. Here's a good intro to the original FR500S.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/mustang/herocard2.asp

All of these will most certainly be extremely collectible Mustangs in the future.

Maybe, but you may have to wait a long time. I remember a friend buying a '95 Cobra R and leaving it in the wrapper, less than 20 miles. He is still waiting for it to appreciate very much.

Maybe, but you may have to wait a long time. I remember a friend buying a '95 Cobra R and leaving it in the wrapper, less than 20 miles. He is still waiting for it to appreciate very much.

I have quite a few friends with 93 and 95 Cobra R's. I don't think those will be very saught after for many, many years. They will be, but not anytime in the near future to make anybody rich, that's for sure! Getting investment back in this generation may even be tough. That's a different class however I believe. Those are street cars. The FR500 cars are factory built race cars. They will be collectible no doubt as there will only be so many left after all the completed race action, which does not necessarily mean that they will be worth much in the short term. Right now most are selling for 1/3rd to 1/2 purchase price. The value is in getting them cheap today and enjoying them and appreciation will come down the road. Appreciation from original purchase price will probably not happen in 20-30 years.

But I guess there is no way to make them street legal, so still just a SCCA type track version of the NHRA Cobra Jet?

The car doesn't even get a VIN.

That's what I understand, so an impossible car to drive, except maybe on and off a trailer for shows? :happy feet:

Its built to be raced, plain and simple. There are collectors of these cars but I guess I don't understand why completely. Collect it yes, but don't put it in a garage.... drive it. Its a toy.

• 3 months later...

No real way to put these on the street. They are purpose built race cars with no VIN number. The S cars started in 2008 with the FR500S built specifically for the Ford Racing Mustang Challenge Series. It was so much fun. I was an official for that series from Grand Am for the entire time from 2008-2011. After the FR500S, they started the Boss302S which is allowed to race in the SCCA World Challenge series and a few other series in NASA AI, etc. There was also the FR500R with the Cammer 5.0 motor run the Grand-Am Continental Challenge series which was followed up the by the Boss302R. These cars are all very special. There are a few Team Shelby members here who own ex Mustang Challenge FR500S cars for track cars. All of these will most certainly be extremely collectible Mustangs in the future. Here's a good intro to the original FR500S.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/mustang/herocard2.asp

When I attended the Boss Track Attack in June one of the instructors stated that Miller Motorsports Park will be selling off their FR500S cars sometime in 2014. He did not know what the new platform was going to be. Maybe Focus ST. Might be a good opportunity to pick up a FR500S school car for a decent price. 2014 is also the last year for the Boss Track Attack.

• 3 weeks later...

Can you request a vin? I would buy a 302S but for lack of being able to drive it on the street. There must be a way to get them street legal even if just as a collector car

Not from Ford. I suppose you could modify the car and make it fully emissions compliant, street legal with turn signals, etc. and try to get a state issued "home built" VIN. Depends on the state where you live I suppose. You wouldn't be able to do this in Colorado. You can only accomplish this on old street rods etc. here. I forget the year, but the car has to be older than 1970 I believe. You could try to pass it off as a kit car or something possibly. Again, probably depends on the state where you live on how you could accomplish that.

I think you would be really hard pressed to get a VIN. A better route might be to contact Watson Engineering (how makes the 302S) and see if they would take a GT and give it the 302S treatment.

:headscratch:

Doesn't make any sense to make a street legal car out of a dedicated track car.

I can see the other way around, but once you've modded your street car to the point of a 302S, you have eliminated the street legal part of it anyway.

I am with Jeff, it is a 90K toy built for a specific purpose.

Archived