TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT duct bezels!

The bezels are available with the brake duct kit from SPP. While it does show out of stock, I don't think the kit is being discontinued, unless I missed something. If it does turn out to be an item that is no longer available let me know, I have an extra set of bezels and the mounting brackets for the lights. I bought my bezels 2 years ago and then when I got my brake cooling kit this past xmas they came with another pair.

http://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/s6m-2004-b.htm

The brake duct bezels are not currently available alone, or in kits.

Jer

• 2 weeks later...

Jer,

I finally got around to installing the brake ducts on my supercharged SGT. Here's my review:

I think this is a great set up for someone with a NORMALLY ASPIRATED car, but it's a PITA for those of us with superchargers and heat exchangers! With the heat exchanger in place, you have near zero space for the brake duct!

I did a few modifications, including removing and replacing the power steering cooler and remounting the heat exchanger further back, (closer to the radiator), yet this still only gave me about two inches of clearance. I had to squish the hoses down so much that I'm uncertain as to how good the airflow to the brakes will actually be!

I realize this setup was most likely designed for a normally aspirated SGT, so I would suggest SPP advertise it as such, or at least say something about possible extreme modifications if you have a supercharger/heat exchanger!

I also would suggest a second, "improved" design: Mount the lights inboard and have the ducts outboard. Looking at the layout, this appears to provide a lot less interference with radiators and heat exchangers, and gives the air a more or less straight shot to the brakes.

Maybe I'm speaking out of my a&%, if that's the case, I'd love to see some pics of installations done by Shelby or other members to get an idea of where I went wrong!

Still a loyal Shelby owner!

With humor,

Sam

PS: I do have a spare set of original bezels - I can't make up my mind if I want to modify them, (mount lights inboard as I said above), or sell them. If I decide to sell, I'll post something on the forum!

Jer,

I finally got around to installing the brake ducts on my supercharged SGT. Here's my review:

I think this is a great set up for someone with a NORMALLY ASPIRATED car, but it's a PITA for those of us with superchargers and heat exchangers! With the heat exchanger in place, you have near zero space for the brake duct!

I did a few modifications, including removing and replacing the power steering cooler and remounting the heat exchanger further back, (closer to the radiator), yet this still only gave me about two inches of clearance. I had to squish the hoses down so much that I'm uncertain as to how good the airflow to the brakes will actually be!

I realize this setup was most likely designed for a normally aspirated SGT, so I would suggest SPP advertise it as such, or at least say something about possible extreme modifications if you have a supercharger/heat exchanger!

I also would suggest a second, "improved" design: Mount the lights inboard and have the ducts outboard. Looking at the layout, this appears to provide a lot less interference with radiators and heat exchangers, and gives the air a more or less straight shot to the brakes.

Maybe I'm speaking out of my a&%, if that's the case, I'd love to see some pics of installations done by Shelby or other members to get an idea of where I went wrong!

Still a loyal Shelby owner!

With humor,

Sam

PS: I do have a spare set of original bezels - I can't make up my mind if I want to modify them, (mount lights inboard as I said above), or sell them. If I decide to sell, I'll post something on the forum!

Sam,

We are in the process of designing new bezels, these are no longer available. The new ones will address all the issues, be a MUCH easier install, and will retrofit to anyone who has the old ones installed.

BTW, this is the Item Description from our Web site:

Designed by Shelby American, these service only bezels were used on Shelby GT and pre-2011 Mustang California Special models. One inlet was used to house PIAA driving lights while the other was used for brake inlet cooling.
Notes: Mounts in the lower valance. Some supercharger intercoolers lack the clearance needed to easily install brake cooling hoses. Check your setup before ordering.

Can I make an even trade for the new ones with my spare set?

Sam

Essentially, yes.

If you'd like, send me an email and I'll take them off your hands. Then, save that money in a coffee can on top of your fridge until the new ones are released. Then buy them with that money.

Does that work for you? B)

Jer

Essentially, yes.

If you'd like, send me an email and I'll take them off your hands. Then, save that money in a coffee can on top of your fridge until the new ones are released. Then buy them with that money.

Does that work for you? B)

Jer

and I will gladly buy his old ones. please sir, can I have some more........

Ive already done some custom work to make the olds ones fit........and Im not redoing it to accomodate the news ones...

having an extra set of old bezels would be awesome.......

My Solution to the Great Bezel Dilemma. GBD affects us all, but there is a cure! Chicken wire and a hole saw, file and sandpaper. Race shop style, followed by some VHT bumer black and POW knocks out GBD in a snap!

post-9886-0-99658000-1374264771_thumb.jpg

post-9886-0-94422100-1374264772_thumb.jpg

post-9886-0-69858500-1374264773_thumb.jpg

I will admit to some figuring installing the hoses, but with help and turning lock to lock it gets sorted out...also the hoses will fit with the sc intercooler if you mount like we did...

Rock On!

post-9886-0-99658000-1374264771_thumb.jpg

post-9886-0-94422100-1374264772_thumb.jpg

post-9886-0-69858500-1374264773_thumb.jpg

Jer,

I am interested in lower driving lights and am hopeful you can come up with a simpler solution on mounting and installation with a factory look, I liked the set up on the GT-H but the kit and lights seemed to always be in and out of stock. I would even opt for a light only down in the area and skip the air opening. I didn't like the installation process and instructions,,,,,,,,,,,,

How bought posting what they might look like so you can generate some interest.

GG

I just ordered the PIAA lights to finish my installation. It's a slow process...sometimes it is time restrained, sometimes it is money restrained. Too bad I don't have an unlimited supply of both!!!

Andy.

Hey Jer,

The link for the Installation Instructions here and on the SPP site is broken. Can someone correct this?

Thanks,

Andy.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/81626-spp-installation-directions/

Jer,

I am interested in lower driving lights and am hopeful you can come up with a simpler solution on mounting and installation with a factory look, I liked the set up on the GT-H but the kit and lights seemed to always be in and out of stock. I would even opt for a light only down in the area and skip the air opening. I didn't like the installation process and instructions,,,,,,,,,,,,

How bought posting what they might look like so you can generate some interest.

GG

They will be brake duct / driving light bezels, very OEM-looking, easier to install, too. I'll post details when they are available, which is likely to be very late in the year.

Jer

I hope you come up with a better way of mounting the lights, drilling through the flange on the frame just plain sux.

I'm fairly confident that step will no longer be neccessary.

Jer

I'm fairly confident that step will no longer be neccessary.

Jer

Jer,

Should I have waited to order the PIAA lights at this point until the new set-up comes out? Will they work with the older duct bezels or will you need the entire new kit?

Thanks,

Andy.

Jer,

I can't read! :lol:

I told you I might be talking out my butt!

Can I make an even trade for the new ones with my spare set?

Sam

and I will gladly buy his old ones. please sir, can I have some more........

Ive already done some custom work to make the olds ones fit........and Im not redoing it to accomodate the news ones...

having an extra set of old bezels would be awesome.......

Sam / Wick,

If you two can work it out, I can pick them up from Sam on my way thru Jax next week and bring them to Wick at the Nats....

Let me know if I can help.

Jer,

Should I have waited to order the PIAA lights at this point until the new set-up comes out? Will they work with the older duct bezels or will you need the entire new kit?

Thanks,

Andy.

Too soon to tell, but I hope to replace the entire assembly with a new setup. HOWEVER: I have NO ETA on this, it's still very early on, so I advise everyone enjoy what they have and DON'T wait for me on this -

Jer

Jim / Wick / Jer,

I appreciate the offers, but I think I'll hang onto the second set for now, at least until SPP comes out with the new version. That way I can get a look-see before turning the old ones loose!

On another subject - Jer, that transmission scoop was probably the easiest mod I've ever done! It's a shame you can't see it because it sure looks pretty under the car!

Sam

Jim / Wick / Jer,

I appreciate the offers, but I think I'll hang onto the second set for now, at least until SPP comes out with the new version. That way I can get a look-see before turning the old ones loose!

On another subject - Jer, that transmission scoop was probably the easiest mod I've ever done! It's a shame you can't see it because it sure looks pretty under the car!

Sam

Cool! Glad you like it!

Jer

Archived