TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Should I get this option when I order my 2014 GT500

Hi, I am new to this forum and have a question, I am going to be ordering a 2014 GT500 Convertible. I will not be tracking car at all, but will be doing some spirited driving. Do I really need the Equipment Group 821A-SVT Performance Package? I was going to order a no option car, are there any other options that I should consider? Does any one have any recomendations for a dealership in the Chicago or Detroit area? I have not decided where to order the car yet. When is the cut off date to order a GT500?

Thanks,

Terry

Welcome to the forum. Majority GT500 have SVTPP, Track Pkg, Electronics Pkg, & Recaros. I'm scratching the Recaros from my order. The non-option car would still be one heck of a ride. If your are anyway concerned about resale value...might want to add the normal packages.

Better act soon....allocations to get one built are getting hard to find. Don't let some random dealer tell you they can order the car if they don't have an allocation to get it built. Happened to me on 11 May and a few days ago found the dealer was lying to me all along. Took me off the market for almost 2 months...working now to secure allocation. Good luck.

Based on your description, do you really need the track package? Also, for what's in the electronics package, you could go aftermarket for much cheaper. I have the PP, and like the adjustable dampers, but not a necessity.

The "majority package" mentioned above Is the best bang-for-the-buck, even if you don't now plan to track it. I felt the EP was useless & got the Shaker Pro instead, but the EP is best for resale I've heard.

Save your EP money for a better set of tires!!! With the torque of this beast, the OEM tires are only safe for a hot track or street temps over 70*!

I've bought and sold two Shelby's before this last one. I got every option but the glass roof this time, which doesn't affect you, but I kicked myself on the others for leaving this or that out. Im very happy with a loaded '14 this time around except maybe the Shaker Pro was not the best value option to get. There are options like a JBL sub that fits perfectly in the spare well that are cheaper and better.

All that aside, if I wanted a convertible, I would be searching the country for available '13 verts, and by one of those. The '13 vert you may be able to get cheaper than a '14, and probably even with options you didn't plan to get. PLUS the '13 is the 20th anniversary of SVT. Maybe you can't, but its worth looking around!

Thanks guys for all the advice, I thought I could order it from any dealership, did not no about allications. I dont mean to ask a dumb question, but how do I know if a dealership has a allication for a GT500? Do I need to call and ask? Is this info posted on any website? I did look at some of the 13s but could not find a no option car. Does any one know when the cut off date is to order a GT500?

Thanks again for all you help.

Terry

Call around and ask. SOME dealers think their allocation is worth $10K-$50K (yes, that is FIFTY K) over MSRP. Don't fall for it, find another dealer that will sell AT or BELOW Manufactures SUGGESTED Retail Price (MSRP).

They're out there, all over the place. There are a couple that frequent this forum and you can find them by putting a Wanted To Buy (WTB) ad in the classified section.

I used e-bay to find the car I wanted and contacted dealer/sellers privately to see if they had one or could get one (they might not have THE car listed you're looking for but many can get it).

I found a couple of cars that were exactly what I wanted (Kona Blue, white stripe, loaded) at a number of dealers within easy driving distance of me, all at or below MSRP. There are also dealers that weren't within easy driving distance that were willing to ship or drop ship.

I ended up finding the exact one I wanted at my local dealership (Phil Long-Motor City) by using the "build one" page on the Ford.com site. Someone orderd it and bailed on the purchase. I let them know ahead of time that my "line in the sand" was MSRP, and that I wouldn't pay a DIME of Added Dealer Mark-up (ADM or ADP), or pay for extra "add-ons" (another 'ploy' dealers will use to jack up the price).

They were more than happy to sell it to me at MSRP and in fact, I might'a got it for less if I wanted to haggle, but I didn't (haggle or want to haggle).

My best advice would be, be patient. There are LOTS of cars out there....For now. I have a feeling they're going to get scarce with the end of production and no new ones reportedly being produced after 2014 (new body style and engine is slated for 2015).

Phill

You may find it very difficult to find a dealer with an allocation that would let you order with no options. They all want to maximize their sale / profit amount as noted by the abundance of ADM out there on these limited production cars. I paid MSRP on my fully loaded (no glass roof) Shelby. If you can get it, great for you but don't be surprised if they pass on a no-option order at this time....

You may find it very difficult to find a dealer with an allocation that would let you order with no options. They all want to maximize their sale / profit amount as noted by the abundance of ADM out there on these limited production cars. I paid MSRP on my fully loaded (no glass roof) Shelby. If you can get it, great for you but don't be surprised if they pass on a no-option order at this time....

Nice color combo grob!

My thoughts on this:

I'd go with the 2014 being its the last year for this body style & engine.

Although I like fully loaded cars and the SVTPP is a great option, it seems like every GT500 has that package so you would probably end up with a rarer car by not ordering this package.

As Phil and probably others already mentioned, just because a dealership salesperson says they have an allocation you really need to verify that. Also even if they have an allocation beware that the clock is ticking and that there is a possibility that an allocated car wont be built.

Either way you go you'll need to act quickly.

Steve

Steve is right. They dont even tell the guys on the line what the cutoff date is until it would be too late to order one, so the chances of ANY dealer employee knowing that would be zilch. That said, Ford will be cutting 2014 short for retooling for the new model, and new engines. 2009 was cut short with just a couple body changes for the mustang, not the whole car, so I get the feeling dealers will either be playing it safe and ordering soon, or some will hold on to theirs too long and leave it unused.

Steve is right. They dont even tell the guys on the line what the cutoff date is until it would be too late to order one, so the chances of ANY dealer employee knowing that would be zilch. That said, Ford will be cutting 2014 short for retooling for the new model, and new engines. 2009 was cut short with just a couple body changes for the mustang, not the whole car, so I get the feeling dealers will either be playing it safe and ordering soon, or some will hold on to theirs too long and leave it unused.

Warren, those are my thoughts exactly. I have a feeling that when Ford does make an announcement it may catch many by surprise.

Steve

Warren, those are my thoughts exactly. I have a feeling that when Ford does make an announcement it may catch many by surprise.

Steve

They cut the 13's off short last year. I know my dealer wasn't prepared for it.

Phill

Thanks again for the replies, I have contacted some dealerships today, some had no allications, and a couple said they needed to contact their rep to see if they could get an allication, and left a message with a salesman that I know from a dealership as well. So hopefully I should here something tomorrow. I am ready to order the car ASAP. I really do not want to miss this opportunity.

Hi, I am new to this forum and have a question, I am going to be ordering a 2014 GT500 Convertible. I will not be tracking car at all, but will be doing some spirited driving. Do I really need the Equipment Group 821A-SVT Performance Package? I was going to order a no option car, are there any other options that I should consider? Does any one have any recomendations for a dealership in the Chicago or Detroit area? I have not decided where to order the car yet. When is the cut off date to order a GT500?

Thanks,

Terry

I didn't order the SVTPP on my vert as I don't plan to go to the track. In person, I actually like the look of the stock wheels better than the SVTPP which are darker. I would reccomend the Recaro seats, they are amazingly comfortable and look cool. the electronics package/nav makes the center stack look a little more modern. I also have the shake audio but think you can do better after market.

My thoughts on this:

I'd go with the 2014 being its the last year for this body style & engine.

Although I like fully loaded cars and the SVTPP is a great option, it seems like every GT500 has that package so you would probably end up with a rarer car by not ordering this package.

As Phil and probably others already mentioned, just because a dealership salesperson says they have an allocation you really need to verify that. Also even if they have an allocation beware that the clock is ticking and that there is a possibility that an allocated car wont be built.

Either way you go you'll need to act quickly.

Steve

Thanks Steve,

Just curious, how do I verify that the dealer has an allocation?

• 3 months later...

All I ordered was the SVT performance package and Recaros as all I wanted was the better suspension stuff and the SVT wheels. Since I had no plans to ever track the car the track pack seemed like a waste of money to me not to mention the fact I didn't want that oil cooler hanging there to receive a hit from a sharp rock and risk looseing oil pressure. I even kept my car cover (still in the bag) that came with my 2012 and saved a few more bucks. Good luck, it took just a few days shy of six months to get mine that I ordered on April 11th.

Thanks guys for asking,

I ordered a no option convertible, I just received the car two days ago, good news is it came in before the snow and went directly into climate controlled storage, bad news is I will not be able to drive the car for 7 months. Its been fun just to look at it. The dealership was great to deal with, I instructed them to not drive or dealerprepp the car when it came in, they even took some pics and video of the car coming off the transporter.

69216 10153004714430392 1506084963 N

I'm wondering as well when they stop taking orders on these. Also wondering how many Ingot Silver with Red Striped 2014's there will be, which is mine.

I only went with SVTPP and Recaros on mine as well. To me in 20-30 years, it isn't going to matter what gps is in the thing, and I think the glass roof just adds weight. Track pack is cool for those who really use it. I may regret not getting it later, but I don't foresee needing it now, so why chance regretting getting something that I don't end up using?

I got mine through the military exchange program for a great price. I wasn't going to dare pay MSRP, but that's me. It worked out fantastic and only took about 2 months to get it in.

I checked, all orders were called in about 10 days ago.

I got the SVT,NAVI and Recaros also. I would have liked to have the track pack, but I would have to pay much more than the cost of the package since those in the color combo I wanted were at MSRP and got one for 3 under.

I plan to put on a torque arm & Watts link and was not sure they would clear a track pack differential cooler. I can address engine and tranny cooling if a problem occurs.

Archived