TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Found this in a pile of old pictures

mark.barton

I was looking through some photos that I took in April, 1983 at the Formula 1 Long Beach Grand Prix and stumbled across this one. It is a picture of Rene Arnoux, then driving for Ferrari (a Goodyear customer), talking with a gentleman that looks like Carroll Shelby, but I am not 100% sure. What do you think?

Mark

Rene Arnoux 1983 LBGP.jpg

Rene Arnoux 1983 LBGP.jpg

I was looking through some photos that I took in April, 1983 at the Formula 1 Long Beach Grand Prix and stumbled across this one. It is a picture of Rene Arnoux, then driving for Ferrari (a Goodyear customer), talking with a gentleman that looks like Carroll Shelby, but I am not 100% sure. What do you think?

Mark

attachicon.gifRene Arnoux 1983 LBGP.jpg

Nope not Carroll.

Nope not Carroll.

It was one of those "30 years have passed and I haven't seen a lot of pictures of Carroll from the 80's without a hat", so Goodyear vest + Goodyear race tires + Shelby Enterprises was/is the race tire distributor for the West Coast + Formula 1 = Carroll Shelby. Oh well.............

Mark

The other symbol may be of Dan Gurney's Eagle Racing Team. It is not Dan Gurney but possibly someone from his organization. And Goodyear was a sponsor of Gurney.

That Eagle logo is part of Goodyear. The Eagle name was Goodyears line of hi-performance tires back in the 1980's. Think Gatorback although Gatorback was never the real name of the tire, they were actually Eagle VR or Eagle ZR, etc.

Steve

Archived