TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How many were built?

Forgive me if this has been asked before. I attend many shows in my area and am asked this question often. How many Super Snakes were built in my year.? I know that my SS070038 was made very early on. Is there any current data as to how many snakes were built per year? How many convertibles Vs. coupes? I think that my car was the second convertible built but I don't know for sure. Maybe some one could find out and post it here.

Also, What were the differences in the first production models compared to later models of the same year. I think my hood is different than cars with a higher CSM. Any light would help me sound more intelligent at shows when asked.

Thanks

Forgive me if this has been asked before. I attend many shows in my area and am asked this question often. How many Super Snakes were built in my year.? I know that my SS070038 was made very early on. Is there any current data as to how many snakes were built per year? How many convertibles Vs. coupes? I think that my car was the second convertible built but I don't know for sure. Maybe some one could find out and post it here.

Also, What were the differences in the first production models compared to later models of the same year. I think my hood is different than cars with a higher CSM. Any light would help me sound more intelligent at shows when asked.

Thanks

There have been some production numbers given, like 1000 for 2007, 1000 for 2008 and 500 for 2009, but as far as I know, until those numbers are met the production goes on. For instance, if you currently have a 2007 GT500 with lets say 50K miles, you can send it today and have a Super Snake upgrade done on the car and you will get the next CSM number toward the 1000 build limit.

R

Thanks

This is a question that, like others is usually left unanswered. Mostly due to the fact that like Robert M stated it is still available as an upgrade. I guess your answer is there are less than 1000.

There are those of us out there with the GT/SC package that have asked the same question, how many have been made up to this point in time? :lurk:

Thanks

As already mentioned the 2007 Super Snake program is still open so until this program closes or the maximum build of 1,000 cars is reached, there are no build numbers for release.

CSM #07SS0038 does appear to be a very early SS build.

Steve

As already mentioned the 2007 Super Snake program is still open so until this program closes or the maximum build of 1,000 cars is reached, there are no build numbers for release.

CSM #07SS0038 does appear to be a very early SS build.

Steve

Maybe I was not clear in my question. I just wanted to know "to date" How many have been built. Can you also tell me the differences in my hood and other equipment compared to other 2007's and when in the number sequence were the changes made? Can you at least maybe tell me if I am the first or second convertible built?

Thanks

Maybe I was not clear in my question. I just wanted to know "to date" How many have been built. Can you also tell me the differences in my hood and other equipment compared to other 2007's and when in the number sequence were the changes made? Can you at least maybe tell me if I am the first or second convertible built?

Thanks

One of the several reasons that SAI has a policy of not releasing build numbers during an active build is due to what I call the, you cannot unring the bell scenario. History has shown that when owners want this type of build info its usually so that they can tell others how rare their car is and by telling others that usually means a car show display board, a webpage, a for sale ad or some sort of other announcement. And right there will start the confusion that possibly can last forever in regards to how many cars were actually built.

I can guarantee you that if SAI started releasing build numbers stating that this many cars were built as of such and such date and no matter how many times we stress that this number was only accurate that day and will certainly change the next day, week or month, people will take that build number and have the previously mentioned car show boards, websites, signature lines, reflect that their car is one of such and such number leaving out the part that build number was only a snap shot in time. Or better yet an owner has his Shelby featured in a magazine article who then prints this snapshot number as fact. How do you recall all those magazines that will taken as gospel by other less informed enthusiasts? Thats why I call it you can't unring the bell.

On a somewhat related note just the other day I was dealing with a Shelby enthusiast who read some incorrect info on Wikipedia and because they read it on the internet, in their mind it had to be true. If the Shelby American Registry is going to have any value to Shelby owners then it is a must that any and all build numbers must be as reliable and concrete of a number that it humanly possible. Guesstimated numbers, preliminary numbers or numbers of such and such date will only muddy the waters until final, audited build numbers are available.

Its not like this policyis unusual. Try calling Ford and asking how many GT500's have been built as of June 28th. You will not get an answer other than they will have final build numbers several months after the last car comes off the line.

Hope this helps explains things a little bit.

Steve

There are other reasons Shelby doesn't share that information, but you won't hear those until they finish thinking of them.

Lol

Sorry Steve, couldn't pass up the chance! I still love ya!

One of the several reasons that SAI has a policy of not releasing build numbers during an active build is due to what I call the, you cannot unring the bell scenario. History has shown that when owners want this type of build info its usually so that they can tell others how rare their car is and by telling others that usually means a car show display board, a webpage, a for sale ad or some sort of other announcement. And right there will start the confusion that possibly can last forever in regards to how many cars were actually built.

I can guarantee you that if SAI started releasing build numbers stating that this many cars were built as of such and such date and no matter how many times we stress that this number was only accurate that day and will certainly change the next day, week or month, people will take that build number and have the previously mentioned car show boards, websites, signature lines, reflect that their car is one of such and such number leaving out the part that build number was only a snap shot in time. Or better yet an owner has his Shelby featured in a magazine article who then prints this snapshot number as fact. How do you recall all those magazines that will taken as gospel by other less informed enthusiasts? Thats why I call it you can't unring the bell.

On a somewhat related note just the other day I was dealing with a Shelby enthusiast who read some incorrect info on Wikipedia and because they read it on the internet, in their mind it had to be true. If the Shelby American Registry is going to have any value to Shelby owners then it is a must that any and all build numbers must be as reliable and concrete of a number that it humanly possible. Guesstimated numbers, preliminary numbers or numbers of such and such date will only muddy the waters until final, audited build numbers are available.

Its not like this policyis unusual. Try calling Ford and asking how many GT500's have been built as of June 28th. You will not get an answer other than they will have final build numbers several months after the last car comes off the line.

Steve

Ok, so it explains why you don't want to give out build numbers. Can you answer my question about my hood and other differences that my car might have being built early on VS. cars built later? And can you at least tell me if my car was the first or second convertible? I would even accept this in a private message or email.Thanks.

Yes your SS appears to be one of the first few retail Super Snakes built. Until a build audit takes place I'm not sure exactly where your SS falls in regards to its build position.

The Super Snake program has evolved over the last five years so there have been some subtle build changes during this time. Horsepower ratings along with the corresponding supercharger are easy changes to spot. Subtle changes by some parts suppliers or changes that streamlined the build process, not so easy to spot. Does SAI have a list of changes made thru the years? Not that I know of.

Steve

• 8 months later...

Steve

Utterly ridiculous rationale. Also, Your comparing SAI production to Fords? Really? No reason quarterly production numbers can't be produced for customers and the interested public.

Utterly ridiculous rationale. Also, Your comparing SAI production to Fords? Really? No reason quarterly production numbers can't be produced for customers and the interested public.

What I hear Steve saying is, the number is ever changing. He could give you a number today and next week it won't be valid.

If he said there are 158 2007 Super Snakes built as of today, SOMEONE is going to take that number and run with it. Put it on their display board or e-bay (SUPER RARE, ONE OF 158 SUPER SNAKES BUILT!) and then next month, that number is false.

I can understand why Shelby won't release them. I don't agree with it but I certainly understand it. it's a BUSINESS DECISION and we (the General Public) are NOT privy to ANYONE'S *business* decisions.

Period. Respect that and you too will accept the fact that they don't release production numbers.

Phill

What I hear Steve saying is, the number is ever changing. He could give you a number today and next week it won't be valid.

If he said there are 158 2007 Super Snakes built as of today, SOMEONE is going to take that number and run with it. Put it on their display board or e-bay (SUPER RARE, ONE OF 158 SUPER SNAKES BUILT!) and then next month, that number is false.

I can understand why Shelby won't release them. I don't agree with it but I certainly understand it. it's a BUSINESS DECISION and we (the General Public) are NOT privy to ANYONE'S *business* decisions.

Period. Respect that and you too will accept the fact that they don't release production numbers.

Phill

Something else that also figures into this "number built to date" is that fact that each of the modification centers (including the Las Vegas Mod Shop) get different ranges of build numbers, for example Las Vegas Mod Shop 001-199, Tasca may be 200-349, Quantum Performance (now defunked) may have been 350-399, I would guess that the numbers not used by Quantum are now assigned elsewhere. Mod Shop may have had 400-599 added to it's build numbers when the demand was high and the numbers shot over their original 001-199 and then whatever numbering plan Sean Hyland Performance in Canada has assigned to them for their Super Snake builds.

Giving a number is not as easy as it would seem to be when looking form the outside. It is not like each individual Super Snake CSM number from Las Vegas is handed out in order from 001-up every time a deposit is placed for a Super Snake build. As outlined above, each center is assigned a range and they individually assign from that number range for a car built at their specific location.

^^^^This is how it was explained to me quite a few years ago..........I think by Bud.

Now also added into this are the specific model years, CSM07SSxxx, CSM08SSxxx, CSM09SSxxx, etc. plus the builds coming from those multiple locations. I would guess that this total number is "fluid" and would be somewhat (if not very hard) to keep up with while the build process is still ongoing? Once all centers have exhausted their numbers, it is simple math, before that? the numbers are probably all over the place.

The only build numbers I remember are the specific totals from 2007, 2008 and 2009. <<<I remember they started out higher, but last time they were publicly quoted, I believe it was 2007=1000, 2008=1000 and 2009=500. <<This number for each year would reflect entry level power, optional big hp, Coupes, Coverts., earlier cars with lesser options (because there were not many options for the earlier cars), all the way to now and all of the Cool options that have been added to the build list.

Since the Super Snakes can be built with a wide variety of Super Snake performance options from mild to wild, and also come in Coupe and Convert., they are in no way "cookie cutter" with only some exterior color differences and a few factory option choice differences, there will be some that are rather rare for the options that were chosen, and some that are plentiful in number.

Me personally, I had to have an 2008. I wanted HID's (not available in 2007) and I wanted Sat Radio Delete (no delete option for 2009). Not that I am against Sat Radio, I was not interested in that "black pimple" on my trunk lid...........I call it a "hockey puck". Because of my choices in the two items above, it was a 2008, and I started my search 2 weeks after the 2008 production ended I had a time finding the exact car I wanted "somewhere" in the U.S. I also had S1000, Ambient, Black/Red interior, factory Torch Red with Ebony stripes, all on the "must have" list. One would ask............."why Ebony stripes? the stripes are getting stripped off??" Since the 2008 model Super Snake was only available with Matte Black stripes, I wanted my factory window sticker to match what was on the car, Black stripes (Ebony stripes) and not say "White stripes" or "stripe delete". <<<I know........picky......

R

I agree with you Phill, but it would sure be nice to know!!

I completely agree. It *would* be nice to know, even from a non-owners standpoint.

There's a "Need To Know" and a "Nice To Know". This issue falls into the latter.

Phill

Yes, I guess it would be nice to know. They could post total builds by quarters, i.e. 1st quarter, 2nd quarter etc...

As for the guy at the car show with the plaque he made up clearly even if he claimed his was 1 of X# that would only be good for that last quarter. He would have to keep updating his plaque.

Seems to me that SS owners should be given total build numbers as of each quarter. Don't have a dog in this fight just posting my MHO.

So for 2007 through 2009 a total of 2500 Supersnakes are to be built.

How many Supersnakes for 2010 through 2014 for each year?

Yes, I guess it would be nice to know. They could post total builds by quarters, i.e. 1st quarter, 2nd quarter etc...

As for the guy at the car show with the plaque he made up clearly even if he claimed his was 1 of X# that would only be good for that last quarter. He would have to keep updating his plaque.

Seems to me that SS owners should be given total build numbers as of each quarter. Don't have a dog in this fight just posting my MHO.

So for 2007 through 2009 a total of 2500 Supersnakes are to be built.

How many Supersnakes for 2010 through 2014 for each year?

Those are the last 2007-2009 numbers that I have seen.

I would have to search this forum to see if I could find the original announcements for the 2010, 2011 and 2012, the numbers would have been posted at that time.

Seems to me that the 2014 was going to be 50 total build? I think that is what I read when the car was first announced? I found the 2013 at 500 total?

No mention of 2010 numbers.

>>>>>I just found a press release for the 2011 Super Snake and it says 1000 total build.

No mention of 2012 numbers.

R

Those are the last 2007-2009 numbers that I have seen.

I would have to search this forum to see if I could find the original announcements for the 2010, 2011 and 2012, the numbers would have been posted at that time.

Seems to me that the 2014 was going to be 50 total build? I think that is what I read when the car was first announced? I found the 2013 at 500 total?

No mention of 2010 numbers.

>>>>>I just found a press release for the 2011 Super Snake and it says 1000 total build.

No mention of 2012 numbers.

R

I'm pretty sure 2010 was limited to 500 units.

I'm also pretty sure the 50 number was for the 50th anniversary (Black/Gold and/or White Gold) Super Snakes, which are different than the 2013 or 14 (whatever year was the 50th) 'regular' Super Snakes.

Phill

I'm pretty sure 2010 was limited to 500 units.

I'm also pretty sure the 50 number was for the 50th anniversary (Black/Gold and/or White Gold) Super Snakes, which are different than the 2013 or 14 (whatever year was the 50th) 'regular' Super Snakes.

Phill

That could be true about the Black/Gold's and White/Gold's, that may have been where I read "50", a few months ago?

The 2010's I found no mention of the production number, even in the 2010 Super Snake press release from Shelby, but the number could have been disclosed after that release?

R

The 2010's I found no mention of the production number, even in the 2010 Super Snake press release from Shelby, but the number could have been disclosed after that release?

I'm thinking Roger Sorel posted it in a thread here on TS forums. Try searching his old nym, maybe you can find it. I'd try but I can't work a search engine to save my ass.

Phill

The 50 year anniversary SS were limited to 50 black and 50 white, but i'm still wondering if that count is part of the total allotment for the 2012 Super Snake. I think that was to be 500 total for 2012. Does that mean 400 of the regular SS and the 100 anniversary cars?

The 50 year anniversary SS were limited to 50 black and 50 white, but i'm still wondering if that count is part of the total allotment for the 2012 Super Snake. I think that was to be 500 total for 2012. Does that mean 400 of the regular SS and the 100 anniversary cars?

Hmm. I'm not sure but I think it was 500 + 50/50 (600 Grand Total).

I was hoping Steve would jump in here by now....

Phill

Something that also throws a variable into the "numbers built" is that an owner can now "pick" a non-sequential build number if they want a specific number for their car, like an owner can pick 08SS750 for their 750hp Super Snake, but the actual 2008 build might only be at 623 for example, so this can also create some holes in a quoted number built to date.

R

• 5 years later...

old thread but have a question for anyone who wants to answer. Are the 07-09  GT500 supersnakes that were 850 hp, were they using the stock internals?

20 hours ago, 1badsho said:

old thread but have a question for anyone who wants to answer. Are the 07-09  GT500 supersnakes that were 850 hp, were they using the stock internals?

I have the Shelby Super Snake spec. cards and I see 800HP for the 2007-2012 and 850HP on the 2013/14 specific card. No mention of internals on these spec cards, but I do see internals on the 900HP and 1000HP Super Snake option levels.

R

• 3 weeks later...

thank you sir , the reason I asked is I have a 07 GT500 with stock internals putting out 780 rwhp with a great tune from VMP

L&M NSR cams

VMP III

Kook long tube headers

VMP 67 TB

ID 1000

and some other goodies

Just trying to gather info on my set up

I dont drag race it or dump the clutch .... just occasional rolling starts

Archived