TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Can one build a SS from available parts?

CSX4833

So, here's a question--

With SS hoods being available from SPP, the SS stripes also available, and the tri-gauge A pillar gauges also on the market (or soon to be) can a person make a Super Snake out of a stock GT500? Oh, I forgot about the SS shifter knob as well as some other things I'm forgetting.

"Technically" yes, you could use most of the same parts... obviously you can't put a CSM on it and some of the badging would be difficult. BUT, why would you knowing that the entire investment would be worth the same as when you bought the car stock? Statistically the Shelby American package does not depreciate much if at all after its been added, and you can make the case that a genuine Shelby American, Inc. built car could very well hold its entire value. It can always be argued, but I would consider a genuine car to be a reasonable investment to someone who truly knows how to "appreciate" it... no pun intended. Price is what you pay, value is what you get...

"Technically" yes, you could use most of the same parts... obviously you can't put a CSR on it and some of the badging would be difficult. BUT, why would you knowing that the entire investment would be worth the same as when you bought the car stock? Statistically the Shelby American package does not depreciate much if at all after its been added, and you can make the case that a genuine Shelby American, Inc. built car could very well hold its entire value. It can always be argued, but I would consider a genuine car to be a reasonable investment to someone who truly knows how to "appreciate" it... no pun intended. Price is what you pay, value is what you get...

Many people have learned this lesson, both "the hard way", and the opposite. A used CSM-numbered Super Snake is not just a modified GT500 and, technical arguments to the contrary have become moot as the market has voted with their wallets time and time again.

Jer

So, here's a question--

With SS hoods being available from SPP, the SS stripes also available, and the tri-gauge A pillar gauges also on the market (or soon to be) can a person make a Super Snake out of a stock GT500? Oh, I forgot about the SS shifter knob as well as some other things I'm forgetting.

I'm not sure if I'm reading your post right but are you saying that SPP is selling Super Snake stripes to non-SS owners?

Steve

I'm not sure if I'm reading your post right but are you saying that SPP is selling Super Snake stripes to non-SS owners?

Steve

It sounded a little like that to me too but i think he's talking more about buying them from outside sources.

There's a guy on e-bay that sells them in a perpetual auction and just about any stripe shop can make them. We have one in town (Drive In Auto Sound) that a computer scans the entire car then a plotter cuts the stripes out automatically.

Phill

Thanks for the clarification.

Phil, email Jer the ebay auction so that action can be taken by Licensing if those stripes are indeed knock-offs.

Steve

I think I have it saved or bookmarked. I'll look and see and if I have it, I will send Jer the link/url.

But having said that...I don't think you (SA) can trademark or copyright a *style* of stripe. I have a feeling the seller is perfectly legit in his production. SA may or may not be able to stop someone from selling "Super Snake stripes" (due to the Super Snake c/tm) but I don't think they could stop a sale of "Super Snake STYLE stripes", or "thin-THICK-thin" stripe/s. Heck, Roush sells a similar stripe kit (and CHEAP too!).

Regardless, I'm no lawyer and if I can locate it I'll alert Jer and let him/SA take it from there. Although *I* am not a lawyer, a VERY good friend of mine is, and a Copyright lawyer at that (she gives me free legal advice/counsel).

I'll look for the auction later today. Right now I'm running behind getting my car race-ready for tomorrow nights Fri. night drags and really shouldn't even be on this computer right now! <lol>

Phill

I think I have it saved or bookmarked. I'll look and see and if I have it, I will send Jer the link/url.

But having said that...I don't think you (SA) can trademark or copyright a *style* of stripe. I have a feeling the seller is perfectly legit in his production. SA may or may not be able to stop someone from selling "Super Snake stripes" (due to the Super Snake c/tm) but I don't think they could stop a sale of "Super Snake STYLE stripes", or "thin-THICK-thin" stripe/s. Heck, Roush sells a similar stripe kit (and CHEAP too!).

Regardless, I'm no lawyer and if I can locate it I'll alert Jer and let him/SA take it from there. Although *I* am not a lawyer, a VERY good friend of mine is, and a Copyright lawyer at that (she gives me free legal advice/counsel).

I'll look for the auction later today. Right now I'm running behind getting my car race-ready for tomorrow nights Fri. night drags and really shouldn't even be on this computer right now! <lol>

Phill

But if the stripes say "Super Snake" thats another story.

Steve

When a seller uses the words Super Snake "style" and intentionally uses photos that do not clearly show what wording is used on the rocker panel stripes, its obvious what they are doing.

Is it actionable? That's something that can not be discussed here. This is something that only SPP and Licensing can address.

Steve

Submitted.

Thanks!

Jer

The add says " You Are Bidding On a Super Snake Style Single Racing Stripe Kit

With 1" Accent Pinstripes
*These Are Aftermarket Stripes Of Our Own Design, Non-Factory Stripes "

i don't see whats wrong with it? it says its a "STYLE" and its their "Own Design"

He is only selling the over the top stripes, not the rocker panel stripes that say Super Snake. He is one of a bunch of sign shops that make these. I can't see any problem with what he is selling.

Pretty sure this is the same one I referenced. I'll still look at my saved auctions and/or bookmarks when I get a few extra minutes. There could easily be more than one selling them....

Phill

i did see it, oh my so every sign shop should be sued as they make every form of aftermarket auto decal. Shame on them.

Not every sign shop that makes you something you ask for, but an outfit that advertises and sells

"Ford Shelby Mustang Hi-Performance Super Snake Single Stripe Kit,Color Choice"

I'd say yes. Sounds like, unless you read the "fine print", you'd think...what?
edit***
Plus, that looks an awful lot like a GT500 SS to me. Not just a Mustang.

WOW..........$149.00? I guess I should order a few sets before you shut them down...................................

J/K.

:hide:

I'm sorry, but that isn't capitalism, that is just wrong. Make stripes however you like, but once you put "Shelby" in the description, it's infringement no matter how you slice it. I hope something legal stops this.

I'm sorry, but that isn't capitalism, that is just wrong. Make stripes however you like, but once you put "Shelby" in the description, it's infringement no matter how you slice it. I hope something legal stops this.

I know two guys named Shelby that would disagree with you.

However, the "CS" logo in the one is without question copyright infringement (provided Shelby American has it copyrighted). If the stripe said "Shelby American", it would be infringing. They *can't* copyright or trademark the word/name "Shelby" because it is a common name. That would be like me trying to copyright "Phill".

I can however, copy right my "Pollard & Sons Racing" name.

Phill

I know two guys named Shelby that would disagree with you.

However, the "CS" logo in the one is without question copyright infringement (provided Shelby American has it copyrighted). If the stripe said "Shelby American", it would be infringing. They *can't* copyright or trademark the word/name "Shelby" because it is a common name. That would be like me trying to copyright "Phill".

I can however, copy right my "Pollard & Sons Racing" name.

Phill

While I'm looking to get into any word games, you may want to research the person with the last name of Shelby, no relation to Carroll, who tried to market his version of a Supercar using the Shelby name. Doesn't matter if someone has the last name of Shelby, they can not come into the automotive world using the name Shelby.

Now if that person wanted to produce some licorice candy using the name Shelby,he certainly could and if that person did market licorice candy under the Shelby name it would prevent CSI from using the Shelby name in that world.

Same with someone with the last name of Ford. Just because you have the last name of Ford doesn't mean that you can use the name to build cars.

Steve

Shelby is a common name, but so is McDonalds. Try and open any kind of restaurant with the name McDonalds and see what soon comes in the mail.

Archived