TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Mach 1 Mustang Returns for 2017, Shelby GT350 for 2016

Amigo GT500

My new one (not to be confused with my old ones) is a 2013, with 624 HP, and I would hazard a guess it cost at least twice what the 2016 GT350 will, somehow I doubt the market will depreciate my 2013 (with less than 70 built and not another like mine) to less than half by then, even if Ford puts the 5.8 and a big supercharger in the 2016. Ford will do with the 2016 GT350 as they have with the SVT GT500, they will build thousands and they will depreciate like a rock as soon as they come out, just look at the old GT500s from SVT, great bargains today, the SAI Shelby GT350s, not so much, check the market..... :happy feet:

Good Job. Here’s you cookie and a big golden star.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe that if the car says Shelby on the registration and title, than it is a Shelby. The 84' GT350 is not really a Shelby because Carroll Shelby had no willing involvement and Ford was doing something without his consent. Think about it with any car makers. The original Ford maker Henry Ford is dead, but we still call the brand Ford by proxy. Ferrari is still a Ferrari without Enzo. I am sure their are many car makers that have the original designers long gone, but the brand names will keep going on. Everyone arguing about real or non real Shelbys sounds more like " My Shelby is better than yours " or " Mine is worth more than yours " ! Why argue guys and gals. You all own Shelbys. The competition is out there, not within our Shelby community. Listen to me, I don't even own a Shelby, mine is a tribute, yet I can see between all the bull. Stop arguing amongst each other. Everyone has an opinion. I think it is silly to argue an opinion, no one will ever win. Being a Shelby enthusiast, now that is a winner!

I've probably said this before but I really don't care what it is called. My love is with the performance, handling, and technology.

I agree well said bottom line is they're all Mustangs don't understand all the dick wagging about a name.

My new one (not to be confused with my old ones) is a 2013, with 624 HP, and I would hazard a guess it cost at least twice what the 2016 GT350 will, somehow I doubt the market will depreciate my 2013 (with less than 70 built and not another like mine) to less than half by then, even if Ford puts the 5.8 and a big supercharger in the 2016. Ford will do with the 2016 GT350 as they have with the SVT GT500, they will build thousands and they will depreciate like a rock as soon as they come out, just look at the old GT500s from SVT, great bargains today, the SAI Shelby GT350s, not so much, check the market..... :happy feet:

that's some bozo logic. by your line of reasoning, i'd say YOUR car is NOT A REAL Shelby since Carroll passed away before it was built. at least he was actively involved in my car's development, to include all of the development, testing, introduction, post-title packages and celebration. that's pedigree yours doesn't have.

the performance aspect is irrelevant to the pedigree of the Shelby. Nothing could be more of a Shelby, in the current market, than the 2007-08 SGT and of course the GT 350, SS, KR, etc as they were actually transformed at Shelby. And the SGT is definitely underpowered but still more of a Shelby than a Mustang SVT GT 500 hat has never seen Vegas or SAI.

And I am curious about the comment "Because they weren't assembled or converted at SA is not in the equation at all. The new Ford Shelby '06-'14 cars were designed to be Shelbys by SVT and Carroll Shelby himself. Your arguments are foolish."

I honestly believe if they were not asembled at SAI they are less of a Shelby than a car that just had Shelby lettering placed on the trunk at the Michigan assembly line. And how is a car designed by SVT to be a Shelby? What will the new SVTs be designed to be since they will not be Shelbys. The GT 500 is just an SVT that used the name Shelby for marketing purpose. and Ole Shel went along with it because he received royaties. and how did the 89 year old Shelby design the GT 500? Answer - he didn't. He made have said I would like to have a cobra emblem and stripes, and I want it to go like hell, and I want it to have a lot of HP and torque. But he didn't design it like he did the original Shelbys of the 60's. Ford put his name on the SVT for marketing purposes. Now the SGT is a true Shelby because it was converted to be a Shelby, by Shelby Inc at Shelby Inc in Vegas. That is a real Shelby. Even though it is grossly underpowered unless SC.

You need to read up on the SVT GT500 story before you put your ignorance on display. SAI-modded GT500s (pre or post-title) BEGIN with a 'base' SVT GT500 car. 99% of the engineering has been completed by the time SAI gets there hands on it. And even when they do, most of the parts are sourced from 3rd party vendors (ie. Ford Racing, which incidentally sells some parts that are straight from the SVT program). Lastly, under what circumstances do you claim to speak for "Ole Shel" and what he went along with? Were you buddies? Were you there?

that's some bozo logic. by your line of reasoning, i'd say YOUR car is NOT A REAL Shelby since Carroll passed away before it was built. at least he was actively involved in my car's development, to include all of the development, testing, introduction, post-title packages and celebration. that's pedigree yours doesn't have.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I don't argue opinions, I am a scientist and I like to argue facts, there are none here. Cheers!

No one ever said that the '84 20th anniversary edition Mustang GT was a Shelby. Don't worry, and no one will confuse it for one either or try to compare it to your GT350.

Your loss then. It does seem that you only want to instill in people here that your 2012 GT350 is "more" of a Shelby than others. The new "Ford" GT350 possibly will outperform yours and be worth just the same or more in the future.

Good one.

So, in say 2030, you think a 2017 Ford GT350 will be worth more than 2013 GT350? Not only that, but outperform it...

I guess the newest GT500's are the only thing worth owning along with the other up-coming Ford products.

Begs the question of why are you here on this site? I know my 07 SGT/SC is crap.

I believe that if the car says Shelby on the registration and title, than it is a Shelby.

Well then, since my 2013 GT350 says lowly "Mustang GT" on the title and registration, maybe it is not a Shelby? I'm sure that is not what you meant, but this issue is full of slippery slopes such as that I'm afraid.

You need to read up on the SVT GT500 story before you put your ignorance on display. SAI-modded GT500s (pre or post-title) BEGIN with a 'base' SVT GT500 car. 99% of the engineering has been completed by the time SAI gets there hands on it.

Response- SAI never gets there hands on a GT 500 unless it is converted to a SS or a KR, etc. SAI did not design the GT 500, the Ford Special Vehicles Team designed the GT 500 and put the Shelby name on it. That is why the GT 500 also had SVT on the vehicle.

re Ole Shel- no we were not buddies but that is a descriptor of CS that has been used many times all the way back to the 60's.

As usual 07SGT, you are incorrect. Your ignorant reply has just proven my case. I'm not going to argue with ignorance.

Response- Secondo, just because someone disagrees with you does not mean they are ignorant. Try being mature and reasonable someday. Sorry , but i am accustomed to discussions based on facts not name calling. You stated the SVT was designed to be a Shelby. Then it would sound as though you admit the vehicle was designed by SVT, not Shelby. Calling the vehicle a Shelby GT 500 is merely a marketing ploy, and a very good one, to get more buyers than would have just bought a SVT. Ford has produced SVT mustangs in the past in very limited production. But adding the Shelby moniker opened the market to a whole new demographic of buyers and they were very successful. But the car is still a SVT, And by the way, you don't see me attacking you personally so let's both keep it that way. No one seems to deny that the SGT, the GT 350, the SS and the KR are Shelby's because they were sent to SAI and converted from production Mustangs, just like the original GT 350's in the mid-60's. But apparently there are quite a few that disagree with you on the pedigree of the GT 500 since it was never returned to SAI as previous Shelbys were. Those are just the facts. The GT 500 is a great car. Wish I had one but could not afford. Enjoy your car and the forum, but you don't have to attack those that made a reasonable argument against that which you advocate. It is a big world with a lot of different views. Doesn't make one wrong to just disagree with you.

My Shelby brother Mikeljgt500kr:

Ok, I understand why you may be cynical regarding the "Ford" Shelbys; you spent more for your SA car and you get the CSM # because you paid the extra dough for it so I can understand that. And the SGT's and GT350's are fine cars, I would love to own them myself. But, overall, we all own real Shelbys regardless. As I have stated before, they're all Shelbys, just have been born that way differently; some were "converted" (SA cars), some were built at Ford that way (SVT-Shelby collaboration), but they are all Shelbys nonetheless.

As far as the current values go, the first models ('06-up) of the second generation Shelbys; SGTs and GT500's are just used cars now and are holding their values very well as far as used car values go. The '07s are 7 model years old and outdated by the new, superior models. I was referring to future classic car values maybe 30+ years from now I believe all our Shelbys will be worth mostly the same due to all their unique features and strengths; Ex: SGTs have CSM#'s, GT500's have the 5.4, etc.

Btw Mike, my "old" GT500 has 635HP (flywheel) with the stock supercharger, obtained with just a pulley and tune. That's 11 more than your new SA Whippled GT350 haha!!

Just kidding you but I'm just trying to make a point.

07SGT: Get your facts correct then maybe we can discuss the subject. You claim to know "ole Shel" but from what I have read, you seem to know him the least. If he was here do you really think he would be contributing to all this nonsense? No way- these are all his cars, hands down!!

Kindly hand over the keys to your SGT. There's a new pink Barbie Mustang toy rider car just for you at your local Walmart.

Secondo , let's try this again. I asked you to try and not make issues personal and to just try and discuss or debate issues without getting nasty. Apparently you have problems with that. So let's review. YOu asked me to get my facts correct then we can discuss. OK, I am willing to listen. What FACTS do you want correct?

I have never claimed to know Ole Shel but I have probably followed Shelby for far longer than you. I might be wrong but I guess you are far younger than me and were not a hot rodder in the 60's. And as far as Ol Shel that has been a descriptor widely used about Shelby since back in the 60's. For you that is probably studying history. For me it was current events.

If you google Ol Shel it comes back with links about Carroll Shelby. So that is accurate to refer to him as Ol Shel.

You state I should hand over my keys to my SGT as there is a pink barbie car for me at Wal Mart. I am just curious what that is supposed to mean? Again, why not try to discuss issues on a mature level rather than lashing out at people just because they disagree with you. Maybe when you are older you will be able to discuss in a more mature fashion. I have nothing against you and if you own a GT 500 I consider you very fortunate. I would love to have one but do not. so now it is up to you. you can discuss on a mature level or just make more nasty comments. Personally I would prefer to discuss the issues with you on a mature non-personal level as you are apparently somewhat knowledgable and obviously passionate about Shelbys. Good luck to you.

Well then, since my 2013 GT350 says lowly "Mustang GT" on the title and registration, maybe it is not a Shelby? I'm sure that is not what you meant, but this issue is full of slippery slopes such as that I'm afraid

I do understand that you have a MSN number, and I imagine that GT500 and soon to be GT350, have that designation on the titles. Both of those facts mean "Shelby". My point was like I said before; Everyone that is arguing about real or non real Shelbys sounds more like " My Shelby is better than yours " or " Mine is worth more than yours " ! Why argue guys and gals. You all own Shelbys. The competition is out there, not within our Shelby community. Listen to me, I don't even own a Shelby, mine is a tribute, yet I can see between all the bull. Stop arguing amongst each other. Life is to short to be hashing over this stuff!

This is just like the ever present (about once every three months) on the Cobra forum about whether the CSX4000 and other "continuation" Cobras are "real Shelby Cobras". Yes, they're real but not original. Repeat after me: They are Real Shelby Cobras manufactured on behalf of Shelby but they are not original Shelby Cobras. Now substitute Cobra with Mustang.

The same discussion about the Shelby GT and GT500KRs happens here with the same frequency.

SIGHHHhHhHhHhHhH

Moot point beyond moot point. The 65+ Shelby's you could get for nothing, then when people started realizing how few we're left, the pendulum swung. Now, SGT, 500, 350, Terlingua, Cobra....you name it, your flavor is out there. Enough to go around, none that will do what the FGT is doing in value. My brother bought his SGT for 12k. I sold my 500 for 65% of its MSRP, and my 350 I got what I had in it cuz it was the first 624 built. (Yet there is one that just sold for like mid 50s)....now is not the time to be concerned with value.

"Real" Shelby?! Is that some sort of Joke?! To put it plainly, if it says Shelby on it from whatever factory it was built at, and there was no lawsuit to remove that name, then guess what- it's a Shelby. Are the shirts you wear, picnic chairs you sit in and parts you buy with Shelby branding NOT Shelby items because SA doesn't run a Taiwanese sweat shop out of the Vegas facility?

I have owned a GT350 Mike. I get your side. You got a CSM, a museum token, and A bill from SA. Awesome.

SGT07, you got a CSM and a title listing SA as the manufacturer. Awesome.

You guys also have something else- warping body parts and hood scoops, peeling stripes, and about a zero % chance of getting replacement parts within about 3 months and less than 10 phone calls. Awesome.

Been there. Done that. You guys play the "My Shelby is more Shelby than your Shelby". Im gonna go out and drive my new 2014 Ford SVT GT500 that everyone else calls simply "a Shelby" like I stole it and not worry about finding correct and matching blue guardsman stripe paint, fading grills, warping rear fascias and crooked tailpipes EVER again.

But before you ride of into the sunset on your Shelby high pony, remember this- you are trumped my good sirs. Because there is a TRUE Shelby by your own argument. The Series 1.

End of discussion, royal flush, game over.

Ground up designed, and built by Shelby, unless you own a Daytona Coupe or a Series 1, there is no further discussion needed for pedigree. You guys own a branded mustang, some just go through extra steps before going into a garage. get over it.

Dubbs, you are correct. And I do worry about parts availability someday should I keep it forever. And the stripes on theSGT are pathetic and it is certainly under-powered, especially compared to the GT 500 and now the Camaros. And I believe the Daytona Coupe to be one of the most beautiful cars ever made. Right up there with the Ford GT 40 and the E-type Jaguar.

SIGHHHhHhHhHhHhH

Moot point beyond moot point. The 65+ Shelby's you could get for nothing, then when people started realizing how few we're left, the pendulum swung. Now, SGT, 500, 350, Terlingua, Cobra....you name it, your flavor is out there. Enough to go around, none that will do what the FGT is doing in value. My brother bought his SGT for 12k. I sold my 500 for 65% of its MSRP, and my 350 I got what I had in it cuz it was the first 624 built. (Yet there is one that just sold for like mid 50s)....now is not the time to be concerned with value.

"Real" Shelby?! Is that some sort of Joke?! To put it plainly, if it says Shelby on it from whatever factory it was built at, and there was no lawsuit to remove that name, then guess what- it's a Shelby. Are the shirts you wear, picnic chairs you sit in and parts you buy with Shelby branding NOT Shelby items because SA doesn't run a Taiwanese sweat shop out of the Vegas facility?

I have owned a GT350 Mike. I get your side. You got a CSM, a museum token, and A bill from SA. Awesome.

You guys also have something else- warping body parts and hood scoops, peeling stripes, and about a zero % chance of getting replacement parts within about 3 months and less than 10 phone calls. Awesome.

Been there. Done that. You guys play the "My Shelby is more Shelby than your Shelby". Im gonna go out and drive my new 2014 Ford SVT GT500 that everyone else calls simply "a Shelby" like I stole it and not worry about finding correct and matching blue guardsman stripe paint, fading grills, warping rear fascias and crooked tailpipes EVER again.

But before you ride of into the sunset on your Shelby high pony, remember this- you are trumped my good sirs. Because there is a TRUE Shelby by your own argument. The Series 1.

Ground up designed, and built by Shelby, unless you own a Daytona Coupe or a Series 1, there is no further discussion needed for pedigree. You guys own a branded mustang, some just go through extra steps before going into a garage. get over it.

+2 As said in TRON, " End of Line "

I know you do. It got to the point where its all I COULD do. It got to where I became scared to drive mine. That's just no way to enjoy these great cars! And that's why Im so over it. And why I am just giddy to have a 500 again. Owning all these different Shelby's have taught me valuable lessons. And I will share with full disclosure and pure honesty anything I know.

I'll join in on the fun! The GT-H is the first and the coolest of all late model Shelby's. The SGT? That's just an afterthought which would have never happened if the GT-H wasn't so cool. Ha..ha.... GT500, na, not real Ford made hack..... You all know I'm kidding! Dubbs hit the nail on the head. Mello out guys. It's all about the awesome machines we get to have fun with that are all linked back to the man. What is coming in the future, well, we just don't know for sure yet..... so enjoy the ride!!! :)

SIGHHHhHhHhHhHhH

Works for me.......................... :rockon:

Warren/Dubbs, I drove a 2008 GT 500 and that is why I purchased my SGT with the intent of converting it to a GT/SC.

As far as your issues with the SGT, yeah, those stripes are tough to replace - not. Wanna trade my old hood scoop for your defective 2007/2008 clutch assembly? Save your SGT bashing for someone that really doesn't have a clue. I have yet to have any GT 500 owner ride in my car that wasn't impressed, not just by the performance, but its handling/suspension perfection.

As far as parts availability goes, I remember back in the late 1970's when we were trying to find parts for our early Shelbys - it wasn't easy but we all survived and made it work and it will work again for these late model Shelbys.

They are all Shelbys boys, but like anything that becomes collectible, some day, certain models will be more desirable than others. The 2016 Shelby GT 350, once released, will be a blast to drive and own.

Im not bashing the SGT. Or the 350. What Im bashing are people. People that for some reason feel their car isn't good enough without elevating it above another. Only reason I brought up the SGT was because one of the two guys talking smack drives one. Anyone that knows me, knows I love the SGT, except my brother's. his sucks.

Now, if you want to question my experiences in getting replacement parts, I have plenty of answers. Faded grills? Not their problem. Warped brake rotors? I didn't properly break in the car. Engine codes and limp mode after 50 miles? That's YOUR problem. Tailpipes crooked? Borla's problem, call them. Rear Fascia doesnt fit right? thats just how its designed. (though I did finally get a replacement) Front Splitter rips off at 120 mph? Why would you drive a car that fast, we will get you a new one when we can. (Never got it). And thats not half of what I dealt with, Lets just leave it at that...

My GT500 did have to have a clutch replacement though. I had to drive to the nearest dealership and leave it with them for two days, so yeah, totally even ....why did I bother mentioning it? Weak argument for sure.

I know you do. It got to the point where its all I COULD do. It got to where I became scared to drive mine. That's just no way to enjoy these great cars! And that's why Im so over it. And why I am just giddy to have a 500 again. Owning all these different Shelby's have taught me valuable lessons. And I will share with full disclosure and pure honesty anything I know.

OK, I'll bite... Why no way to enjoy these great cars? At a track perhaps?

I will disagree about a previous comment regarding the frequency in these forums about

the debate of the authenticity of the modern Shelby Mustangs: it is more like every 6 weeks

rather than 3 months. I am always amused by the different angles the arguments take.

Oh, at the risk of inflaming the subject: I'd be wary of any claims of just how much CS was

involved in any project, especially by SA or Ford. Going back to the 60s, CS delegated most

if not all of the work/design/engineering to others.

-Tom

I have to say this thread, and the one over on the GT350 area, have been educational for me. I joined this forum almost 1 year ago when I ordered my Mustang GT to make a GT350. After owning numerous '60s vintage Shelby Mustangs (I still have my '68 KR) over the years, and owning a 2005 Ford GT briefly (I won't go into that since it will make some here angry once again), I was waiting for something special in a new Shelby, the 2013 GT350 seemed to me to be it for various reasons I also won't go into since it will anger some once again if I express my opinion.

I belong to 6 different TDBs for various cars I have. I have to say this one is very "unique", for many reasons already covered here. There are spirited discussions on the other boards about various items, like parts, aftermarket upgrades, "correct" finishes for nuts and bolts, dates, part numbers, judging experiences, etc. However, this one has a different level of discussion on cars, and I have learned that I will keep my opinions to myself in the future, since any difference in opinion gets very personal very quickly, and life is too short for angry exchanges about a car. So in the future, I will restrict anything I say to items and subjects not likely to turn some to the dark side. Thanks for the education about your board.

OK, I'll bite... Why no way to enjoy these great cars? At a track perhaps?

-Tom

Hey Tom. I think you misunderstand me. If it took several months to get a replacement part for your car, knowing that, could you drive it as spirited as if you merely had to go to your nearest dealer and get a part? Now imagine organizing events and having your car be a pretty important aspect to running events. It got to where people knew me by my Raptor, not my Shelby. The Shelby spent one six month stretch sitting at a local mod shop because it didnt have body panels due to an early design or manufacture flaw in the 350 builds. It got to be down right embarrassing.

I have to say this thread, and the one over on the GT350 area, have been educational for me. I joined this forum almost 1 year ago when I ordered my Mustang GT to make a GT350. After owning numerous '60s vintage Shelby Mustangs (I still have my '68 KR) over the years, and owning a 2005 Ford GT briefly (I won't go into that since it will make some here angry once again), I was waiting for something special in a new Shelby, the 2013 GT350 seemed to me to be it for various reasons I also won't go into since it will anger some once again if I express my opinion.

I belong to 6 different TDBs for various cars I have. I have to say this one is very "unique", for many reasons already covered here. There are spirited discussions on the other boards about various items, like parts, aftermarket upgrades, "correct" finishes for nuts and bolts, dates, part numbers, judging experiences, etc. However, this one has a different level of discussion on cars, and I have learned that I will keep my opinions to myself in the future, since any difference in opinion gets very personal very quickly, and life is too short for angry exchanges about a car. So in the future, I will restrict anything I say to items and subjects not likely to turn some to the dark side. Thanks for the education about your board.

Great! Glad we could help you figure out what any decent person would already know. Dude, its like you go to meet a friend's family, and his daughter looks like a guy in drag. Do you just say, Damn Fred, your daughter looks like my uncle Frank, only her beard is thicker. My daughter looks like a young Demi Moore! ? Or do you just say Nice to meet you, Fred, you have a lovely family. Even if what you say is accurate, it just isn't polite at all, is it?

Thanks for giving your history though. It's a typical SAAC guy mentality. I got nothing against it, but I suppose its at the root of why our groups seldom come together. They look for the next Concourse Gold award, we look for the next turn to drift through.

Archived