TEAM SHELBY FORUM

OEM brake pads - better than aftermarket?

I'm going back to OEM stock rotors on my GTH. Was there a difference between 07 SGT brakes/pads and 06? Are the stock pads good for the street? This is a street car, but I might want to get raunchy every once in a while. I feel that my car lacks any real stopping power the way it is set up now. I have heard mixed opinions about Hawk pads - noisy and dusty. I don't want noisy and excessively dusty pads for the street.

I had heard that the Bullitt pads are good, but Ford changed the part number/discontinued. The prices for '06 Mustang GT vs 07 SGT and 08 Bullitt pads per the ford parts site are all over the place with different part numbers. What gives?

Thanks

I was told that the Bullitt pads were the Performance Friction metallics. I run these on my car and am really pleased with them. I run them at the track with brake cooling ducts and DOT 4 fluid and they hold up well. They do dust a little bit more, but not like the Hawks. Run front and back, I think they're what your looking for.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going back to OEM stock rotors on my GTH. Was there a difference between 07 SGT brakes/pads and 06? Are the stock pads good for the street? This is a street car, but I might want to get raunchy every once in a while. I feel that my car lacks any real stopping power the way it is set up now. I have heard mixed opinions about Hawk pads - noisy and dusty. I don't want noisy and excessively dusty pads for the street.

I had heard that the Bullitt pads are good, but Ford changed the part number/discontinued. The prices for '06 Mustang GT vs 07 SGT and 08 Bullitt pads per the ford parts site are all over the place with different part numbers. What gives?

Thanks

I've run EBC yellow pads for several years on street and track. Hold up well, no noise. They do dust.

• 2 weeks later...

Akebono Pro-Act Ultra-Premium Brake Pads is what I'm running on my '07 SGT. I tried 3 other brands before these, and I think these work the best. They don't squeak, there's no dust, and they stop the car quickly from 100mph. Not as expensive as EBC, Baer, and Hawk either. Check them out.

http://www.akebonobrakes.com/aftermarket/proact/ceramic_disc_pads/index.html

My opinion, SC car, stock brakes are not sufficient. Even for a street car that does not get tracked like mine. I did the stainless lines, upgraded pads and slotted/drilled stock size rotors at one time. There was a slight difference, maybe a firmer pedal. So not sure if you will see any real gain by going back to OEM unless you have crappy pads.

I believe there was no difference between 2006 & 07 on the HERTZ.

Archived