TEAM SHELBY FORUM

A question of speed.

CSX4833

Ok, so I know a guy that just bought a new '14 GT/SC (stock, no mods). He is an accomplished mechanic and tells me he was going 160 recently (on a city highway, which I deem reckless). I asked him how he was able to do,this since the car was limited to 155. He told me he reprogrammed the ECU. Of course, I mentioned that his warranty is now voided and he said "they will never know, I'll just reprogram it back to its stock tune if I have to take it in". Anyway, if a stock, GT/SC can be reprogrammed to do in excess of 160, what in the world can a reprogrammed GT500 do?

I really wish these young kids would learn to respect the power of these cars and take their desire to drive to the car's limits to the track instead of city streets, but I digress.

Cheers,

Kevin

So there really isn't a GT/SC. There is a GT500 and a standard Mustang GT. The GT/SC is probably an aftermarket supercharger on a '14? If so it probably has a custom tune and could very well have raised the limit on ECU max speed. I think the '14 GT500 was something like 205.

A stock '13-14 GT500 can do 200mph. And from what I've read, can be programmed for another 30-35HP from a tune alone.

The performance Stage 2 tune I purchased for my GT500 removes the original speed limiter of 155.

What is the point of this thread?

Well, I thought the purpose of this thread was to determine approximately what a stock GT/CS is capable of doing if the tune was altered. It was just a simple question and I've read threads here that are far less informative. This needn't go 33 pages like the infamous oil separator back and forth. I was just wondering. Geez.

Well, no. Everything between your original post and your last one was about establishing what the real car was. The original query was about a mythical unicorn like GT/SC. Now that we know it's about a CS we can get back a question that can actually be answered.

My guess is that "unplugged" 160 is not out of the question but it would take a great distance to achieve that velocity. It's not going to be able to get to that speed without a lot of runway.

I can answer that. Yes, the 5.0 2011+ gt or gt/cs is capable of just a shade over 160 with lots of road with a stock tune and the limiter removed. If he altered the tune, he might gain 1 or 2 mph.

Your second question is a trick question, as a 2013+ gt500 COUPE is capable of 200mph, but that is going down hill about 4 miles or a 40 mph tailwind. So really, you are already at your limit stock. The convertible is limited to 160 still i believe, although its probably capable of 195 im guessing, as I have had both convertibles and coupes to compare. The weight and drag arent going to take away much more than that, but driving a vert 172 will be more than enough for my desires to find out. 165 with the top down is interesting though.

If you are changing tunes from stock, then that is whole different thing that depends on tuner abilities, and what the 5.0, 5.4, and 5.8 are all capable of with nothing but an optimized tune. All three platforms are capable of at least 25 HP , so figure 2-4 mph top end. Top end is tricky. It takes amazing amounts of power to get these bricks over 200 in a standing mile. A friend just broke 224 not long ago, with 1300 HP to the wheels.

Warranty? Maybe , maybe not. Just depends if he mods his car and what dealership he goes to really.

I've had great experiences with dealerships and horrible experiences with others. My selling dealership (115 miles away) was absolutely terrific, my local dealership is terrible.

My selling dealership never batted an eye about replacing my 07s clutch, then clutch assy, then entire assy and tranny, knowing I had mods. Because they knew that Ford had a design flaw, and not an extra 50 hp was to blame. The local dealership, wanted to charge me $380 (while under warranty) just to look at my slipping clutch, even after I handed them the TSB. I called the selling dealership from there, and they offered to send a truck and trailer down immediately. but I opted to drive it since it wasn't that bad.

It's all in your dealership and THE RELATIONSHIP you forge with your service guys. I've seen some guys walk in and start yelling and cussing, that gets you nowhere.

The GT/CS has been around for some time, it's a great little option package to the Mustang, but is not a Shelby for sure. I agree with CSX, on a highway with traffic is no place to testing the limits of your car. Will a GT/CS do a buck sixty? I kinda doubt it seriously, but then again, who cares. It's a good looking car, will probably hold it's own against a Challenger or Camaro if need be and is relatively inexpensive. But I never got why they didn't come equipped with surfboard holder on the roof? Pondering.gif

I've heard you can top out a GT500 on a cool day south of I-10 on 118 and a breeze through Terlingua down Lone Star Ranch Road to Lajitas. Devil.gif Shutup.gif

Archived