TEAM SHELBY FORUM

CA Smog Check

cobradad

OK, I finally got the notice that I needed to smog my '07 SGT. I took it to the smog check down the street from the house and as soon as the hood was lifted the guy shook his head and said this air cleaner has been modified it needs to be put back to original. I have done no, zero, none, nada modes under the hood. I tried to explain this was a SHELBY not a mustang. Nope, his brain shut down. I took it to another local shop and they had the deer in headlights look as they opened the hood. Air cleaner not right. The guy was looking at the Shelby plate. I'm assuming there is some kind of ID number under there that he needed. Not sure what. My registration lists the make as a Ford. there is nothing I can see that mentions mustang anywhere on the renewal notice. This guy says I need to call the referee program to get some kind of sticker that will allow smog stations to just go ahead and smog the car. Has anyone else run into this issue and what was the solution?

Clarence

I just had my 07SGT Smoged the only thing that was said is the airfilter needs a C.A.R.B. number on it and the steeda air tube had the wrong type of connector . other than that . he passed it on the visual and it passed on the computer no problem

were do you live ??

JIM

You need to find another shop as the two you visited are incompetent. California has cracked down on smog shops, so much so, that the "techs" are so afraid of losing their smog license, that anything other than a Toyota Camry sends them running.

And no there is nothing under the Shelby engine plaque so don't go near it with a drill to remove the rivets.

I would stay away from contacting a BAR referee, all that will do is draw attention to your car.

If you can not find a shop that knows what they are doing try your local Ford dealership to see if they perform smog checks. Even better would be the dealership that you purchased your SGT from.

What part of CA are you in?

Steve

I live in San Jose. I called Sunnyvale Ford where I bought the car.

They do not do smog checks there any more but the Service writer referred me

to a shop across the street that they send their cars to. I went there this morning and

the guy said basically what was mentioned above. A lack of knowledge about the cars and fear of loosing their license.

Other that letting me know I should change out my filter, the car passed with flying colors.

The tech mentioned that any mods done need to have the sticker saying the mod was CA emission legal.

if there is no sticker the car would fail the visual check.

Clarence,

See Steve at the Chevron station at Blossom Hill and Los Gatos Blvd. in Los Gatos ( across from where Swanson Ford used to be ) he has done all my smogs and fully aware of the Shelbys .

Kevin P (remember me from the old Automobilia days ? )

Kevin, how the heck are you!?!? I was talking to the smog check guy that I used to work on the other side of his shop at a place called Automobilia which then became Mustang Ranch after several shop moves around Sunnyvale and then Santa Clara. (he is where the glass shop used to be) I'll add Steve and the Chevron station into my phone for future use. Thanks.

Steve, thanks for the reminder on the filter. I thought I remember reading somewhere that they could be cleaned. I'll look it up.

Just a quick topic change, Anyone heading down to SAAC 38 from around here?

• 1 year later...

Well it's time for my 08 to get smogged, ...any Orange County, CA recommendations?

The under hood sticker was never replaced after the accident, any chance of getting a replacement?

found copies (Word docs) of both the engine and door stickers I had downloaded (thought they were lost in a recent crash)

...still looking for a recommended SoCal smog station

is the engine and intake system stock?

Many aren't... and if so you should expect the hassles mentioned.

My 2008 is 100% stock and I had no issues at the local smog check guy.

BTW- check to see if the smog place has online coupons before you go there.

The sticker under the hood has the cert#, and shows Calif(50 state legal)

I'm up in San Rafael. I took my stock '07 to the local place and had no problem. The tech did look for and found the Shelby Cal sticker. That seemed to cover any Shelby mod's for him.

Good Luck.

• 2 months later...

Well, ...a lot of worrying for nothing!

Being the procrastinator I am, I just got around to getting the smog done, due 10/12.

A few weeks ago when it was way too hot to hangout outside, I was actually purging old paperwork (bills etc) and found the sticker for the engine compartment! ...waited til today to get it done. I gave him the registration form, then showed him the sticker (still in my pocket), he looked at it then gave it back, logged on, did his test, ...passed with flying colors.

I've done nothing to the engine but changed the filler caps, 68,007 miles.

• 2 months later...

I guess I got lucky. I shipped my car to San Diego from Guam and had her smogged in order to register her here. The car has never been smogged because Guam didn't have that requirement and I swapped out the CAI, changed the hood and mufflers and didn't keep any stickers. She passed both the visual and computer test. I'll be going to the same smog station in a couple years. He even new about Shelby Mustangs and the upgrades done.

Archived