TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Thinking about Selling Shelby GT/SC, any idea on Price????

William Rodgers

I may get over this thought, but I have been debating selling my car. As much as I love it I do not have much time for it. I am planning an inground pool project and this would pay for almost half of it. To me a pool will provide family enjoyment, that is much more important than my own. I do have a New Porsche 911 as well, I thought I would love having 2 toys, but with twin 7 year old boys and a 3 year old girl time is very short for my own hobbies. I thought I would never sell, and I still may not, but something inside me is telling me it is time. I have no clue what a Certified Shelby GT/SC would sell for, I have seen maybe 2-3 for sale ever and none recently.

You can see in my Signature it is put together very well and all of the Work was done at Tasca, I probably have $65K plus in this thing. It has 14K miles, it is a Garage Queen. The Stripes look OK, but if I kept it I would paint them in the next couple years. I have all the original parts except the Speakers, I did not see a reason to keep those seeing as the one installed is the Shelby Kicker system.

I was thinking high 30's would be a good asking price. Honestly anything under $35K I would not sell it, I do not need to sell it to get the pool, I am getting it regardless, this would just make it easier to get everything I want earlier.

Any thoughts on a Price??

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you are being reasonable on what to expect. That is a completely fair ball park. It may take time to find the right buyer however.

I however think you are going the wrong way. How many of your kids can you fit in the Porsche? More family entertainment value in the Shelby!!!! :salute::hysterical:

I think you are being reasonable on what to expect. That is a completely fair ball park. It may take time to find the right buyer however.

I however think you are going the wrong way. How many of your kids can you fit in the Porsche? More family entertainment value in the Shelby!!!! :salute::hysterical:

I was thinking the same thing as I read the post....

35k is not going to happen. I got 38k for my gt/sc convertible almost 3 years ago. I'd bet it would go for 25k now

My experience with SGT sales were

1. Sc option only about 50% recovery

2. Convertible good recovery

3. Color (specifically BJ black) not a factor

4. Auto trans sometimes a plus good recovery as population ages or for town drivers

I agree with the above. While not impossible I think it would be really hard to find a buyer at the 30k range and above. Most people will look at that price and then go buy a GT500 with similar miles for the same price or less. It sounds like you don't have to sell so I probably wouldn't or like other say, the Porsche maybe should be the one to go?

Thank you so far for the replies, some interesting thoughts. My kids actually do fit in the back of the Porsche in their Booster seats, the back seat fits them just about as easy as the Mustang does. We will see what happens, might just keep it. I still have mods I have not installed yet.

35k is not going to happen. I got 38k for my gt/sc convertible almost 3 years ago. I'd bet it would go for 25k now

My experience with SGT sales were

1. Sc option only about 50% recovery

2. Convertible good recovery

3. Color (specifically BJ black) not a factor

4. Auto trans sometimes a plus good recovery as population ages or for town drivers

I forgot to add that at 38k in the fall of 2010 the gtsc convertible got about 8k over a standard coupe at the time

It is also very true that the gtsc competition is the GT500 of the same model year

You do mods because you want them not because you think you'll recover full value. Same with a bathroom remodel

Have to agree that I can't see $35k in todays market. My experience is that you would see more around $25 to 27k and it might take a while to find a buyer. Why not give Roger Sorel a phone call over at Tasca and get his input.

Steve

Unfortunately, I think the low 30s is also a reality for you. No doubt and incredible buy for an amazing car considering a new v6 costs that much. Nobody wants to pay for modifications, so sometimes it's even best to put the car back to stock before selling and sell your parts to help recover some cost? The S/C would be the exception. 50% recovery seems about right for that. So, $24K on the car + S/C at around $5-6K and you are at about $30K...

The past year has done a lot for the market, and a 14K mile car is a desirable example, especially as a certified GT/SC. Many of the people who would want this car would not compare it to a GT500, so the value of THOSE won't necessarily come into play, in my opinion. I can see a $32-33K price as reasonable, with the right exposure. That being said, DON'T SELL IT. Jer

I hear you Jer, I am leaning towards keeping it. I agree comparing it to GT500's of the same year is not apples to apples, I would not trade my car for a 2007 GT500 straight up, no chance at all. I also agree to get the dollars I would want would take a buyer that knows what these are and there are not many of those out there. That is why I would not waste my time on Autotrader, E-bay, and Such. I would spend more time explaining what the car is and answering questions than anything.

Thank you!!!!!!!

The past year has done a lot for the market, and a 14K mile car is a desirable example, especially as a certified GT/SC. Many of the people who would want this car would not compare it to a GT500, so the value of THOSE won't necessarily come into play, in my opinion. I can see a $32-33K price as reasonable, with the right exposure. That being said, DON'T SELL IT. Jer

The people that know about the sgt are few and far between. The greatest percentage of them are here already. Outside unless you can convert a buyer to a Shelby enthusiast a sgt is just a mustang (most don't understand the handling or the changes made and don't value them and getting them to understand the pre title thing is like beating your head on a brick wall) and the sc to that group is not worth any more than one installed by the local speed shop). Sorry but I lived through this until someone who did understand. It took 6 months. And the buyer did see the ad in autotrader.

If you are patient you'll get a decent price but if you want to sell now price it like a low miles stang with some mods and it will move. The big question is do you want a pool this summer or next year?

Coincidentally we received a phone call today from an owner of a 2007 SGT/SC, converted here at Las Vegas, with only 4,000 miles, that was trying to figure out a value on his car that he wants to sell. Lots of additional upgrades such as Baer brakes, razor wheels & performance tires.

He was not getting any offers above $30k

Just the way the current market is.

Steve

Coincidentally we received a phone call today from an owner of a 2007 SGT/SC, converted here at Las Vegas, with only 4,000 miles, that was trying to figure out a value on his car that he wants to sell. Lots of additional upgrades such as Baer brakes, razor wheels & performance tires.

He was not getting any offers above $30k

Just the way the current market is.

Steve

Steve,

if I could get 2228 back for that price I would snap it up in a heartbeat but it's gone totally underground. 2247 was bought by Rick Hendricks (as Craig said "I think this is the only Ford we ever sold you). I tried to make a contact but it went unanswered. If you can help, I'd appreciate it.

P.S. I'm having a pretty emotional night with Leah's transplant. Sign a donor card.

carnut...you say the kids fit in the backseat of your 911.....but for how long will that continue......I had a 928 with bucket seats in the rear.....worked till the kids were about 10 and that backseat was a lot bigger than yours.......at 7 yrs old.....it works......in a couple of years when it no longer does....your SGT will be gone and you will never find another cared for as well as yours has been.......you took care of her to keep her......if you sell her now......911 is a great car....but you could get another one of those anytime you want.....keep the keeper......just my 2 cents....good luck with whatever you decide......

P.S. I'm having a pretty emotional night with Leah's transplant. Sign a donor card.

I've been spreading it around Facebook, she's got a lot of support...

Jer

carnut...you say the kids fit in the backseat of your 911.....but for how long will that continue......I had a 928 with bucket seats in the rear.....worked till the kids were about 10 and that backseat was a lot bigger than yours.......at 7 yrs old.....it works......in a couple of years when it no longer does....your SGT will be gone and you will never find another cared for as well as yours has been.......you took care of her to keep her......if you sell her now......911 is a great car....but you could get another one of those anytime you want.....keep the keeper......just my 2 cents....good luck with whatever you decide......

You are right, when they get a little bigger the Shelby will be easier to use. I have 4 cars so that is not a huge issue anyway, but I agree with you 100% that I know this car inside and out, I took care of it, and I could never replace it in the future.

Carnut12, keep the Shelby! I have heard from so many people, even myself, regretting letting that 1 particular car go. Learn from all of us, keep it. I guarantee you will not regret that! Especially you stating that you do not need to.

Hearing what these cars are worth makes me want to go and spend another $10,000.00 on mods so it will be worth hopefully $5,000.00 more.It's a shame these cars are worth less than half of what we have in them. I know my GT/SC will be worth a lot more in a few years, but nowhere near what I have in it.And I use to think fishing and hunting were expensive lol.

Here is one on Ebay, fairly low miles with a Whipple SC and a Buy-It-Now price of $30,875 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Mustang-Shelby-GT-Coupe-2-Door-Shelby-GT-Ford-Racing-WHIPPLE-supercharger-500-hp-10k-in-/221242331020?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3383120f8c&vxp=mtr#v4-49. Granted it doesn't have the Shelby pedigree of yours, but unfortunately most of the general public don't know or care about that. I'd keep the Shelby and sell the Porsche.

Dave

Bill don't do it!!! a voice from the past here buddy, I remember driving to tasca for the SC upgrade and when the door to the garage opened your car was the first one I saw ! it still looks great and you have put far fewer miles on yours than mine, but I can say this , I have gotten smiles and thumbs up from people ages 7 to 70 , I have had more complements over this car than I could have ever imagined and I have to think you have had the same experience. Well that's my 2 cents . ..ok I will just say it... get rid of the Porsche :rolleyes:

Here is one on Ebay, fairly low miles with a Whipple SC and a Buy-It-Now price of $30,875 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Mustang-Shelby-GT-Coupe-2-Door-Shelby-GT-Ford-Racing-WHIPPLE-supercharger-500-hp-10k-in-/221242331020?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3383120f8c&vxp=mtr#v4-49. Granted it doesn't have the Shelby pedigree of yours, but unfortunately most of the general public don't know or care about that. I'd keep the Shelby and sell the Porsche.

Dave

They should knock off 5k for those mud flaps!

Around $30K from a DEALER for a low mileage S/C SGT is a great buy. I don't think the public realizes what a tremendous value these cars are right now. Where else can you spend $30K for so much fun and heritage? Sure, you could find a used Corvette for about that, but how ordinary....

These are Shelby Mustangs! To think a used powerful S/C'd Shelby for $30K and when you go to title/pay your taxes the DMV sees it as a Mustang GT..... Try doing that with a Vette? The used car taxes are pennies compared to a new one - these are the buys of the decade people!!!!

Archived