TEAM SHELBY FORUM

No more GT500 :(

Hey Dufus,I had my 78 Cobra turd Mustang II out last wk and you know what??? ALOT OF PEOPLE LIKE THAT TURD as you would call it!!! and get this, it gets far more attention & postive good words then my 2007 SGT and its also won more awards then my Shelby!!!so what gives ?? everyone likes to look @ turds???and give out awards and trophys for turds??? Here is what I would like you to do.Go to the Sugarloafford.com every yr they have a Mustang Run they been doing it for 14yrs now!!! anyway go to that web site and you will see pictures of past Mustang Runs, now they have about 130+ Mustangs every yr.I have taken my turd Mustang II there 4 times maybe even 5 and my Shelby twice, anyway you will see that every yr I had my Cobra there they took a picture of it !!! no and I repeat no other car is in there past photos of there Mustang Runs as much as my Turd!!!why is that ??? is it because everyone likes to look at shit!!! please you and some of the other Mustang II bashers check it out before you knock the II around.And also your the one who said in one of your post that "Mustang has to evole with the times" didn't you say that?? Well WTF do you think the Mustang II did ??it was the right car @ that time. What a Dufus!!!

Your 2007 SGT is one of the best looking Mustang of all time, it is in my opinion. The '78 is another matter but if you like it then good for you. I have always known that these cars have a small but loyal, cult, following. The desireability and perception of the Mustang II is well demonstrated by its market value. You can draw your own conclusions from that point.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, I must have missed the post where Dufus lit up the mustang II world. If that is the case, then I guess I find myself agreeing with him more and more. :)

IMO, the II represents the darkest days of the mustang. The reason that people look at it and take pictures of it is pretty much the same reason as why people can't look away from a train wreck.

OMG, a train wreck, that is hilarious. I think most of us here will agree that the Mustang II was just wrong and is better off a forgotten entity. A friend of mine had one of those things, a V8 model, what an abortion. The only thing worse than that was probably the Chevy Vega. Very dark days for the auto world.

Cobra78,

I think I speak for all of us who have to read your posts. Please spend less time on personal attacks and more time working on your command of the english language, grammar and punctuation. Reading your run-on sentence, single paragraph posts makes me want to claw my eyes out.

With that, I wish you a good evening.

Kevin

Cobra78,

I think I speak for all of us who have to read your posts. Please spend less time on personal attacks and more time working on your command of the english language, grammar and punctuation. Reading your run-on sentence, single paragraph posts makes me want to claw my eyes out.

With that, I wish you a good evening.

Kevin

Correct and it almost hurts to read his posts. Obviously written by someone on the short end of the educational continuum.

To each his own on the Mustang II's. I guess it's so hard to get 60's and 70's muscle cars people are restoring and collecting anything ols.

Next thing you know we're going to see barn find Pinto's crossing the block at Barrett Jackson & Mecum LOL...

But why even bother with the old when you got new 5.0 GT', new Boss's & Shelby's that you can order from the factory at your local dealers brandy new!

To each his own on the Mustang II's. I guess it's so hard to get 60's and 70's muscle cars people are restoring and collecting anything ols.

Next thing you know we're going to see barn find Pinto's crossing the block at Barrett Jackson & Mecum LOL...

But why even bother with the old when you got new 5.0 GT', new Boss's & Shelby's that you can order from the factory at your local dealers brandy new!

Couldn't agree with you more. Why unload your wallet or bust your knuckles on those old rattle trap, rust buckets when you can just go out and buy a brand new street missile that only needs oil changes. The old 60s muscle cars are cool as long as somebody else owns and maintains them. Been down that road and it is a major PIA. No more of that crap for me. New is the only way to fly now Jack!

Couldn't agree with you more. Why unload your wallet or bust your knuckles on those old rattle trap, rust buckets when you can just go out and buy a brand new street missile that only needs oil changes. The old 60s muscle cars are cool as long as somebody else owns and maintains them. Been down that road and it is a major PIA. No more of that crap for me. New is the only way to fly now Jack!

I know we all have our opinions, and here is mine. I own a 65 tribute and will always own it instead of replacing it with the new. I ask myself, self what would I do after I paid "x" amount of $ in financing and warrantees, of which by the way sees like whatever is broken is not covered, and then trade it in for another new car for even more $'s. I also do not like the fact that if a sensor or computer goes out, you are SOL until it gets repaired for $'s, if it is not covered under warranty. I would rather use my 65 as a DD and buy new as a secondary vehicle to prolong the where 'n' tear and stretch my $. Again, just my opinion. But I think you all need to stop bashing and name calling. Opinions are one thing, but personal attacks go to far. Lets all be happy that we chose the worlds best and favorite American car, no matter what year!

I know we all have our opinions, and here is mine. I own a 65 tribute and will always own it instead of replacing it with the new. I ask myself, self what would I do after I paid "x" amount of $ in financing and warrantees, of which by the way sees like whatever is broken is not covered, and then trade it in for another new car for even more $'s. I also do not like the fact that if a sensor or computer goes out, you are SOL until it gets repaired for $'s, if it is not covered under warranty. I would rather use my 65 as a DD and buy new as a secondary vehicle to prolong the where 'n' tear and stretch my $. Again, just my opinion. But I think you all need to stop bashing and name calling. Opinions are one thing, but personal attacks go to far. Lets all be happy that we chose the worlds best and favorite American car, no matter what year!

Fully appreciate your well taken point. Hope you enjoy your '65 to the fullest. I have spent my time laboring over '60s Mustangs and just don't have the desire any more. I am 57 and kinda taking the easy way out at this point. I just happen to really like the late model Mustangs, GT500s and the GTs. The GTs are an incredible performance bang for the buck and look fantastic.

• 3 weeks later...

I love the look of the older GT500's as well....but buying a new one with 662HP and for a few extra bucks getting an extended warrantee just seems like a no brainer for me. I also looked at some of these rebuilds from the ground up for 100k (made in USA and in Asia as well) but getting an authentic Shelby was just a dream come true. I got a 2014 Coupe and a 2014 Convertible. I bought one, and just loved it so much, I had to get a second. These cars are represent a piece of time.......

When we were at the point of deciding to fully restore the 69 GTO or buy a new Mustang we bought a new 2008 Premium GT and we were really glad we did. My husband it not the type that likes to "tinker" with his cars-just likes to get in and drive. That decision evolved into buying a new 2012 black 500 with all the bells and whistles. Being from the muscle car era of the 60s we truly love those cars but life changes, too, and we are not teenagers any longer-damn it all anyway! So for us memories of the mile long main street in our little Midwestern town vibrating with the muscle cars of the 60s "dragging main" before heading to the drive in movie will have to suffice. We love touring in the Shelby and visiting with the folks we meet. along the way. Change is not all bad! :peelout:

• 2 weeks later...

I had heard that it would come out for 2015, but honestly 2016 is a better idea for Ford. They need a year to iron out any design issues with the new body. I hope the first big change they announce is to scrap my touch and fire Microsoft.

On the flip side of that, if Ford quits making the GT500 and starts making the GT350, its going to be a tough go for SA. I hope for the sake of everyone, serious thought and planning is underway to prepare for a major transition if this is all true.

-1. Love my Ford Sync. Microsoft nailed it, especially compared to other "high end" nav systems I've had i.e. Lexus LS460.

-1. Love my Ford Sync. Microsoft nailed it, especially compared to other "high end" nav systems I've had i.e. Lexus LS460.

Me too!! I have zero issues working with my sync. I just end up cursing out the wife's MB E class system...what a useless POS for a "luxury" auto line...

• 1 month later...

When we were at the point of deciding to fully restore the 69 GTO or buy a new Mustang we bought a new 2008 Premium GT and we were really glad we did. My husband it not the type that likes to "tinker" with his cars-just likes to get in and drive. That decision evolved into buying a new 2012 black 500 with all the bells and whistles. Being from the muscle car era of the 60s we truly love those cars but life changes, too, and we are not teenagers any longer-damn it all anyway! So for us memories of the mile long main street in our little Midwestern town vibrating with the muscle cars of the 60s "dragging main" before heading to the drive in movie will have to suffice. We love touring in the Shelby and visiting with the folks we meet. along the way. Change is not all bad! :peelout:COOL,Well said!

The GT500 is about 200 lbs less than a V8 Camaro and 300 lbs less than a V8 Challenger. Wondering why your comments are usually negative towards them. Is it because your mommy (or adm's) wouldn't let you get one when they arrived in '06?

In any case, all good things must come to an end and the Shelby GT500 will ALWAYS be remembered as the TOP DOG MUSCLECAR OF ALL TIME!!!

In defense of the Mustang II's, they outsold the previous years by 4:1. They were a victim of government regulations and gas prices which affected all makes and models. It was the right car for its time and had much more style than the fox bodies by far. IMO it is unfair to criticize them.

Egads. The II was a pinto based abomination. Sales are indeed a reflection of that moment in time but not indicative that the car was somehow good.

"Pinto abomination", great description. I just saw one of the Mustang IIs on the road the other day. Those things are so bad that it actually makes you laugh. I'm really looking forward to what Ford has in store with the S550 and the 350 edition for '16.

I just don't get the bashing of the Mustang II, so what if it was based on the Pinto. Perhaps folks have forgotten that the original Mustang was based on Ford's cheapest vehicle, the Ford Falcon. Or that after the Mustang II the next generation of Mustang was once again based on Ford's cheapest vehicle, the Ford Fairmont.

For people that think the Mustang II was that bad all I can suggest is that they go drive a 1973 Mustang Grande or better yet go drive a 1981 Mustang with the 255 V8. There are many Mustangs that the Mustang II either out performed, out handled or both

And if anyone believes that the 1973 Mustang could have survived from 1974-78, well you're fooling yourself. Are the Mustangs from 1974-78 the best Mustangs ever? Of course not but without the Mustang II there may not have been another Mustang after 1973.

Steve

Thanks for standing up for the IIs Steve. Since Dufus seems to be so smart on everything maybe he could share with us all on what parts the Mustang II shared with the Pinto. I for one would like to know. I also see that his timeout must be over with now.

The Cobra II which I did have sure as hell looked a lot better than the fox bodied Mustangs by a long shot..

Wonder what people would be saying if Ford had come out with the 4&6 cylinder FWD Probe based Mustang, certainly that would have ranked lower than the M-II ;)

I've posted this pic before but perhaps this is a good time to post it again.

CS Mustang II ad.jpg

CS Mustang II ad.jpg

Thanks for standing up for the IIs Steve. Since Dufus seems to be so smart on everything maybe he could share with us all on what parts the Mustang II shared with the Pinto. I for one would like to know. I also see that his timeout must be over with now.

Why don't you ask Tob that question as he is the one who made the association. He is a moderator on another Mustang Forum and quite knowledgeable on these matters. Sorry if your balls got busted here by some of our comments. We don't all have the same same tastes. There are many of us who find the Mustang IIs quite hideous. Don't act as if you've never encountered this before.

http://www.mustangevolution.com/mustang-news/the-mustang-ii-the-most-disappointing-car-model-redesign-ever/

The GT500 is about 200 lbs less than a V8 Camaro and 300 lbs less than a V8 Challenger. Wondering why your comments are usually negative towards them. Is it because your mommy (or adm's) wouldn't let you get one when they arrived in '06?

In any case, all good things must come to an end and the Shelby GT500 will ALWAYS be remembered as the TOP DOG MUSCLECAR OF ALL TIME!!!

In defense of the Mustang II's, they outsold the previous years by 4:1. They were a victim of government regulations and gas prices which affected all makes and models. It was the right car for its time and had much more style than the fox bodies by far. IMO it is unfair to criticize them.

If your talking to me I love the GT500, but I think it is time for change and to me losing weight is heading in the right direction. Lighter cars are more nimble, on the street that makes a big difference, on the drag-strip not so much. I drive on the street more than anything, I think 99.9% of buyers do. The GT500 IMO is superior in every way to the Camaro and the Challenger, but if I were buying a Mustang today it would be a Boss 302. Most of the reason would be because of the overall Value, but part of it is the weight. My Mommy or ADM's, pretty mature comment, who is acting like the child? I chose not to pay ADM's, turns out that was a great decision on my part, think about all the foolish folks that paid $20K over MSRP, how did that work out?

I know you hit the strip a lot, for you this is the perfect Beast, I respect that. I like Power, but I like it balanced with light weight. Since I bought my 911 the Shelby has not seen the road that much. I still love it, but for me it is just not as fun to drive. I can not use the Power with-out breaking multiple laws and putting myself and others at risk. I still enjoy it especially the V8 sound, it is intoxicating, but I would be lying if I said I didn't wish it was a little more tossable, even if that meant a little less power. It sounds like that is the direction they are going, time will tell.

Archived