TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Kick in the pants feel?

Mustang_Scotty

Not that the gears won't help, but, before I did that, I would contact an after market vendor and get a different tune. The Ford tune is undoubtedly very conservative. When I first installed the C&L CAI and Brenspeed tune on my 05, it was an unbelieveable difference in feel....I did eventually install 4:10's, and then the Vortech Blower. But the CAI and tune should make a decent difference to you....

Mike

The tune really makes a difference. My 06 GT has a bama tune and it WOKE up the car, changed the shift points and hauls a$$.

When my wife took it away from me( and I got the GT500) she was amazed at how more responsive the GT was over her GT/CS. I never got around to putting a tune in the CS. Traded the CS for the Shelby.

yes, unfortunately, you will need another tuner (SCT or Diablo are the most popular). you'll also want a tune file from a reputable tuner (VMP, Lund, Bama, etc). I had a canned tune on my 06 GT and while it woke up the car, it also caused a hanging idle and revs in neutral. mostly in hot weather, but i never could determine the problem. i sold it and bought the Ford Racing Pro-Cal kit and the problem went away. it's more conservative, but it works and is more reliable from my experience.

To answer your question about gears. Yes, it absolutely will help. 3:73 are perfect for the 4.6 3v, in my opinion. It's a great balance between performance and cruising. 4:10 are too tall for me (and makes me think you are trying too hard). They will make your car sound like you are WOT at the same speeds that other cars are just driving normally.

So I would have to buy another tune/tuner correct? Because my Ford tuner can't be re programmed. I've had bama before and liked it. I think I can get bama tuner for my Ford cai

If your tuner is an SCT, you possible could download files from tuner to computer, contact Bama (American Muscle). They MAY send you the tunes and then you upload to the tuner.

Are the pulleys easy to install. I remember I used to do them on my foxes back in the day but I never used the alt pulley because of charging issues.

i don't know. i had them installed by a local performance shop. i will only do some minor bolt-on mods myself...throttle body, intake kit, mufflers and upload ECM tune, primarily.

on an s197 Mustang GT...if i were to do it over again myself, i would go with one of the two following setups for the 4.6 3v:

1. Ford Racing cold-air kit with FRPP tune, carbon-fiber intake tube, steeda under drive pulleys, x-pipe, non-chambered mufflers, 3:73 gears

2. Ford Racing intake manifold, throttle body, cold-air kit, custom tune, carbon-fiber intake tube,steeda underdrive pulleys, long-tube headers, x-pipe, exhaust resonators, non-chambered mufflers, 3:73 gears

i don't think the short tube headers are worth anything other than some under-hood 'bling' and a few pounds off the nose. also don't think the 'hot rod' cams do anything but add a lopey idle sound unless used in conjunction with ported head, which are too expensive and most of the gains are seen with the long-tubes anyway.

wouldn't run a supercharger kit on a non-forged aluminum engine myself. most certainly not with any kind of real boost level.

i HIGHLY recommend the gears. they are cheap and if you shop around for labor, it shouldn't be too bad. should be no more than $600 max for the whole job with parts. it makes a difference on those cars. even with 3:55s only 3rd gear was really any fun. after 3:73s, 1-3 were a blast. just seems to put the tranny ratios in the powerband more often.

I had the FRPP CAI and ProCal tune on my '09 GT/CS and it was more than satisfactory. Then, since I had an SCT tuner left over from an earlier Mustang, I got the Bama 91-octane tunes (Torque, Power, Race). The difference was measurable, but not fantastic. It was no strain to run the Race tune on the street, and it got better mileage than the others.

Then I put 3.73 gears in it and, where before I had just found myself - embarrassingly and without intending it - a half-block ahead of everyone from a stop light, with the gears I could hardly keep from spinning the wheels at practically every start and 1-2 shift. Tires were on GT500 rims: stock GT500 tires (the cheaper Goodyear Supercars, 285-40).

After several thousand miles on various combinations, I settled on the FRPP/ProCal setup on the street, and for strip, track and autocross, put on the Bama Race tune.

Of course it took money and time to arrive at the conclusion. If I were to start now, I'd go directly to the FRPP/Procal with the 3.73 gears right away; if I wanted that little extra performance for competition, the Bama tunes go on and come off easily.

Step-by-step, I'd do the gears first, FRPP second, Bama third. The gears give the most remarkable 'feel' and bang-for-buck, the FRPP is an all-around worthwhile improvement in drive-ability and performance (and looks), Bama is icing on the cake, for those with the taste for it.

Incidentally, you'll eventually need to make a correction for the different gear ratio: FRPP ProCal allows the correction in increments/decrements of 1 (one) wheel revolution per mile; SCT allows only 5 (five) whrpm corrections. The width of your speedometer needle may render corrections of less than five whrpm moot. My very friendly Ford service department's equipment wouldn't allow them to make any correction since the 3.73s were not a factory option on '09 GT/CSs.

if you have the pro-cal II tuner (blue one), all you need to do is re-flash the car for 3:73 gears. it's a simple as plugging it in and changing that one setting. however, if you have the older pro-cal tuner (black one), all you can do is load the ford racing tune file so you cannot make any adjustments for gears or anything else. in that case, you will need to flash the car back to stock (to unlock the black one) and get rid of it. then you will need to buy another tuner with tune file and re-flash to make the necessary gear adjustments.

• 2 weeks later...

So....since I have the Ford CAI/Tune and now I am going to change the gears to 3:73 next week, do I need another flash for the gears? If so is it as simple as calling where I got the tune and having them change it for me? or is it already in the tuner? I have the blue tuner that came with can Ford tune.

Archived