TEAM SHELBY FORUM

NEED ALL YOUR HELP - LIKE TEAM LEAH ON FACEBOOK

Over the years you may have heard Carroll talking about Leah Smith. The little girl who at 11days old got a heart transplant with the help of Carroll. She had a special relationship with Carroll, we even asked her to talk at Carroll memorial tribute in 2012. She is now in complete heart failure and needs a second heart transplant. She in the Cardiac Medical Critical care unit at Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis, IN. Please help us show Leah the support from the Shelby Family go to her Facebook page and hit like or send her an inspiring message.... https://www.facebook...9698878?fref=ts

Thank you all

Jenni

Thanks Jenni, I was hoping you'd post this. I just signed on and would have had you not.

Leah is what would be called "Ground Zero" for Carroll and the Shelby Children's Foundation and now the Shelby Foundation.

The latest news is that a heart is on the way, and that she is scheduled for that transplant tonight provided all of the matching is positive. It was originally to be at 18:00 CDT and now is 20:00.

Most of Carroll's help were "under the radar" - something needed to be done and it was. Leah is the only one I know of that Carroll spoke of publicly.

Prayer call, folks.

Wonderful news!

Leah received word that a candidate heart was available yesterday evening. The determination was made it was acceptable and the surgery completed early this morning. She was having clotting problems but the decision was made to move her to ICU and keep her sedated.

Keep checking her Facebook page for up to date info

Just found this thread after reading a comment twobshelbys made about Leah and her heart in another thread. Tony, thanks for sharing Leah's letter. It puts life into real perspective. This reinforces the efforts and impacts the Foundation has. Jenni, you and your team do wonders. Leah, God bless and prayers for a speedy recovery.

• 2 weeks later...

Leah got to go home today!!!! Freaking amazing.

I remember when Dr. Barnard did the first heart transplant in 1967. It was sort of like science experiments. Freak Science. Noone could believe that anyone would try that. Monkeys and pigs and other things. Not humans.

It wasn't. A classmate of my mom's was one of the first kidney transplants in the US. That had to be in the late 50's or early 60's as I was old enough to remember but not old enough to know how significant it was.

Carroll had both by the way...

A classmate of my mom's was one of the first kidney transplants in the US. That had to be in the late 50's or early 60's as I was old enough to remember but not old enough to know how significant it was.

My father was one of the first group of kidney transplant patients in the early 60's. He's still here with us and the doctors are amazed.

Archived