TEAM SHELBY FORUM

So now what?

Strawman

OK, so I've dusted off the cobwebs from my 2008 GT/SC automatic, now what? Had the Kenne Bell installed at SAI, car runs great (not quite like the 700hp+ Lingenfelter ZR1 I had until recently, but nice nonetheless), but how much meat is left on the bone? I assume the SAI tune is on the soft side, what kind of numbers am I likely at now, and what can I expect to get out of it within reason?

I think Shelby puts an automatic trans car tune at about 460ish give or take at the crank. The Paxton was at 460 +/-, Whipple I think is 475. Automatic, 4.6 not forged internals, anything north of 500 RWHP (if possible with the auto) and I think you have a grenade. Unless your not hard on the car. That said, others may have more info and are more optimistic.

If there is a 20% auto driveline loss, 460 at the crank yields about 370 rwhp. If I could see something in the 425 rwhp range I'd be happy, but I'm not interested in a grenade.

Not sure about the 20% loss. My GT-H is at 424 RWHP with 367 tq. It was dyno at SAI. Some others may have more insight & info.

I've been told by several experienced dyno tuners that automatic cars have 20% loss and manual cars have 18%. A new tune will help get those HP numbers up for sure. Like H0050 said though, anything over 500 at the wheels is a ticking time bomb. I decided to do completely forged internals balanced and blueprinted, with custom cams, ported heads, etc. I am expecting to get my car back from Tasca next week and we are expecting about 600-610 at the wheels.

450 hp at the rear wheels pretty much has the engine maxed out. I would leave well enough alone. They don't look pretty when they go.

Even if you squeaked another 50 hp out of it, I doubt it would make any significant difference in performance, except for more tire spin.

Archived