TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Stripes for Vista Blue SGT

Hello all! First post on this site, so bare with me. My stripes are in horrible condition. I've decided to skip the hassle of using vinyl again and am going to get them painted on. My queastion is, what color? I like silver to keep it the original colors, white because its such a classic Shelby combination, and finally black, just because I love the way the darker color mustangs look rather stealthy. I probably would give me thought to black if I had gotten black rims, but unfortunately, they're chrome. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Hey Dakota, welcome to the forum. You'll find tons of great information here. Like Rob said, I'm going down the painted stripes road at the moment. I also chose to replace my hood with the deep draw Terlingua hood. Hopefully I'll have mine back this week. I went with the stock silver, but there was a time that I thought about GT-H gold on the vista blue (there were blue Hertz's back in the 60's), but the silver helps define our cars as Shelby GT's. My advice, ditch the vinyl, find a good painter and be prepared to be patient while the job is done.

Figure at least $2000.00 at a minimum. There is a lot of labor involved in stripping the old stripes, then you have the legendary "hood scoop drama" to deal with. You could have rust under the hood pin plates....find someone that you trust to do a good job.

First off...Welcome!

Personally, I would keep the stripes the stock silver color - unless of course you absolutely hate that color. You'll find that once they're painted they'll look a lot better and you won't have to baby them any more than the rest of the car. Depending on the area you're in you might find someone on the forum who has experience with a good painter in your area, especially someone who has experience with SGT's.

John

I'm from the northeast corner of Louisiana. I just recently got my Shelby a month and a half ago, and the stripes were already in bad shape, but since it getting into the humid Louisiana heat its gone way downhill. It's times like this a garage would be very nice. I think I've decided tostickwith the silver, I call a place a little ways away that does paint, and they estimated it to be 1200. But of course I need to bring it by to get a closer estimate.

I have had stripes painted on at the time (2009) it cost $1200, and recently I just replaced my rear stripes on my 08 SGT/vert for a total of $510 ($250 for rear stripes/$260 for removal and install of new stripes) of course the painted on stripes looked better but you better get them done by somebody you trust.

I baby my 08' SGT so i went with the vinyl stripes again straight from Shelby. They fit perfectly and the color of course matched perfectly. Be very careful, there is a difference in the silver color of the stock Shelby stripes and a lot of aftermarket stripes if you go vinyl.

I like the "total stock" look down to include the vinyl stripes. I am vested for the long haul as an investor, love Shelby's and Mustangs but tend to stay totally stock with the Shelby's. Good Luck!

I would love if I were able to stick with the vinyl, but I just don't have faith in the material. I know there are products out there to keep them in good condition, but I feel like they would stay in the condition they would if they were painted on. I could be wrong, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived