TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Head Rest Cover Install

07SGT5687

So as usual, I got impatient when trying to install my newly acquired Shelby Head Rest Covers and decided that I MUST need to remove the OEM covers first... well... then I read the website...

Made from heavy industrial vinyl with a simulated leather grain pattern. Installs in minutes by simply slipping over the existing head rest and attaches with velcro.Bullet_MoreInfo.gif

Has anyone else personally installed these? Are they really supposed to fit over the OEM ones? I swore I was going to tear them trying to get them to stretch over the OEM ones.

Just checking before I start over in the morning...

The 2005-09 Headrests DO come out. I have seen them come out to install custom Embroidered Covers. There is a Company that sells the Shelby Covers already installed and you just send them your back so they must be easy to remove.

On the other side of the headrest from where the button is, there is a small hole in the base where you can insert a nail. If you push in with the nail and lift the headrest, it will come out. When putting on the new covers, use a hairdryer to heat up the skins which makes them more pliable. Put talc powder over the existing headrest which makes it easier to slide the covers over the existing ones. Definitely takes some work and will be a lot easier to do with the headrest removed from the seat. Hope this helps...

Hi all, I have replaced my headrest covers using a relatively simple method. This was on both a 2011 and 2013 GT500.

First remove the headrest from the seat by depressing the two "push pins" on both metal support rods.

Then uncouple the retainer on the headrest bottom. This is a plastic retainer and "rolls" off to unlatch.

Next roll the headrest cover back over the sides of the hard styrofoam inner liner. Then pull the hard stryofoam inner liner out of the headrest cover. Transfer the soft inner shaping pad from the old cover to the new one. Then slide the hard stryfoam inner liner back into the headrest cover and reattach the retainer. This was much easier than trying to force the cover over the old hearest cover. By the way if there are wrinkles in the cover get a steam "gun" and steam it. It will shrink out to a perfect fit. Most upholstery shops have a steam "gun". Good luck and have a good result. Breck

Archived