TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Super Snake Hood Gas Lifts

Guys, the installation of these is really easy… even the drilling requirements are well-specified and simple. A Prius owner could do it… (LOL)

Jer

Well I'm out, I don't own a Prius! Lol well you convinced me, have to order Monday!

Well after reading through the installation instructions carefully, I may just try to do this myself. For those that have done it, the only thing I'm still a little nervous about is the drilling. It looks like how the bracket mounts against the hood lip, you would be drilling a little upward toward the top of the hood. So when you feel the drill bit go through you stop immediately so it won't go through the hood? It looks very close. I've got a steady hand and am good with a drill so I know how to stop quickly soon as it does get through. Other than that, I'm not too worried about the rest of the installation.

If you're real worried about it, you can buy a cheap set of 'drill stops' from Harbor Freight. They are a set of various sized 'collars' that go around the drill bit and a allen set screw on the side allows you to set the depth.

I just wrap a piece of masking tape around the bit for a guide. It's really not that close to the outer skin. If I remember right, almost one inch. The trick to ANY drilled hole is not to PUSH the drill through, let the drill do the work and when you get close to the other side....'relax'.

Phill

If you're nervous about drilling all of the way through the hood, wrap a bunch of electrical tape around the bit 1/4" from the tip.

I use masking tape. It's not quite as 'flexible' as electrical tape.

Either port in a storm....

Phill

Archived