TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Super Snake Hood Gas Lifts

I have a 2013 GT500 and have been searching far and wide for a set of Gas Hood Lifts so I could get rid of my Prop Rod. I have spoken to several sources -- Dennis Gomes at TASCA Mod Shop, TASCA Ford who recommended that I not use the gas lifts since as far as he knows they place additional pressure on the hood at the hinge point. I spoke to a Tech Rep at Bangastang Mod Shop and they also recommended avoiding the more common short gas lifts that connect to the hood hinge bolts or in that vicinity because those shorter gas lifts require more pressure since they are short and have to be under higher pressure to lift the heavier fiberglass hoods.

That said, I finally tracked down a company -- RedLine Tuning -- that had a longer, lower pressure gas lift that connects to the body using an existing fender bolt that is about 6 inches from the hood hinge and then connects to a OEM stock hood using a pre-existing hole in the OEM Hood that is about 20 inches up from the hinge. For the Shelby Super Snake Hood that does not have this hole, the RedLine Tuning Professionals had to go back to their engineers and change the connection point and develop a different connector that attaches in a slightly different location using three special rivets. While skeptical at first, I worked with Andreas Keller of RedLine Tuning this weekend at the Carlisle Ford Nationals as he measured, verified and tested the hood attachment location prior to the installation. I was thoroughly impressed with his knowledge of this hood and with the finished product -- one that is certainly worthy of consideration for offering to other owners who have a Shelby Super Snake or for those with a Shelby Super Snake Hood on their Mustang.

Here are a few pictures.

Regards,

Jim

holtzja@mac.comRT Lift-1v2.jpgRT Lift-2v2.jpgRT Lift-3v2.jpgRT Lift-4v2.jpgRT Lift-5v2.jpg

RT Lift-1v2.jpg

RT Lift-2v2.jpg

RT Lift-3v2.jpg

RT Lift-4v2.jpg

RT Lift-5v2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

We have just re-established our relationship with Redline, I'm a big fan of their products. Expect to see them back in stock very soon! Jer

Excellent! Thanks, Andreas!

The new Redlines are great, no holes to drill nor rivets to pop. I installed the redline elites on my 2013 gt500 and my brothers 2008 GT, fit and function is perfect and takes no longer than 10 minutes to install.

Edit- as posted above, Super Snake hoods without the factory hole will need the riveted bracket but all stock hoods is direct bolt on with no drilling.

As noted above, Super Snake Hoods require the riveted hood bracket -- see my pictures above. And these Hood Lifts are the best ones I have found -- and I did a LOT of research!

Jim

Thanks Jer! Your order is shipping early next week! :happy feet:

Andreas

Jer, Andreas -- Glad to have helped get this going again! Jim

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I have had a kit on my Supersnake hood for about 4-5years now. I can't remember where I bought them from,maybe Bangastang. Anyway they are the shorter ones and all the brackets are bolt on. It has worked flawlessly other than the gas struts dying over time. I just replace them with 110lb ones when needed.

I have a set of "other 90lb struts"....lets just say my hood fell once and almost a second time at a show....both times in cool weather <50deg. Jer convinced me these redline struts are the shiznit, so gonna give them a go! Can't wait for something reliable!!

I have a set of "other 90lb struts"....lets just say my hood fell once and almost a second time at a show....both times in cool weather <50deg. Jer convinced me these redline struts are the shiznit, so gonna give them a go! Can't wait for something reliable!!

) ,I agree that in cool weather they are always weaker! As they all get older,no matter what the application they will at some point need replacement. I have just found over time that I can put on a bigger poundage to give a longer lifespan to their operation. They also resist the wind trying to blow the hood down at shows!!!! Just as a footnote,I have Lambo doors on my car,and I found after only a year or so that the standard gas struts were not staying strong,(the hinges are LSD) so I had the installer get me the next level strut available and they have worked great ever since! I will be at the bash so you can check them out!

I also have a set of "other" hood struts that are not holding up my SS hood. Getting a set of the Redline's to hold it up. The only thing that sort of worries me is the hood has to be drilled to install the redlines.

Yes,drilling the hood was one of my concerns,so bolt only was my first choice! Have you tried stronger struts yet? They are available from car parts dealers(we have companies up here in Canada like Lordco or NAPA) who carry all the different poundages.

I went from 95lb ones to 110lb and they work good.

The nice thing is you can buy new sets anytime you like!

Well I still have the old shocks on there. I believe they are the MRT struts. They held up my stock good but just aren't up to the task of the SS hood. I'm gonna get the Redline Elite's from Shelby very soon so I can have them on for the 50th in Vegas. That was also my first choice was the bolt on struts. But I'm going to let Gaudin in Vegas put the redlines on, the day before the 50th.

I thought there was no drilling even for the redlines offered form SPP....just a longer bracket for the outer attachment point? Perhaps Jer can explain? If drilling is involved that needs to be noted on the page IMO. That was why I didnt go with them in the first place.

From the SPP page......

This Shelby Hood Strut Kit will hold your hood up high and get rid of your prop-rod to clean up your engine bay and not distract from the engine bay. This kit is a direct bolt on and only requires a 10mm socket. There is no drilling required and will not put any pressure on your hood itself. The Shelby Hood Strut Kit will work with your factory hood and the Shelby Super Snake hood. The hood brackets come in a high quality black, but can be custom painted to match your body color. Or you can choose to have the brackets hydrodipped for a cool carbon fiber effect.

I bought a set of Redline Elite (bright) hood shocks for my 2010 GT500 prior to Shelby's using them, then a pair of Shelby (Redline) trunk shocks.

I've NEVER had a issue with them falling or for that matter, not lifting my hood from about 3"-4" up. The trunk shocks won't lift my trunk but no fault of the shocks. It's because i have a Roush Took Kit bolted to the underside of my trunk.

They're a GREAT product. You won't be disappointed.

Phill

I thought there was no drilling even for the redlines offered form SPP....just a longer bracket for the outer attachment point? Perhaps Jer can explain? If drilling is involved that needs to be noted on the page IMO. That was why I didnt go with them in the first place.

From the SPP page......

This Shelby Hood Strut Kit will hold your hood up high and get rid of your prop-rod to clean up your engine bay and not distract from the engine bay. This kit is a direct bolt on and only requires a 10mm socket. There is no drilling required and will not put any pressure on your hood itself. The Shelby Hood Strut Kit will work with your factory hood and the Shelby Super Snake hood. The hood brackets come in a high quality black, but can be custom painted to match your body color. Or you can choose to have the brackets hydrodipped for a cool carbon fiber effect.

Those are the ones I have now. I bought those from MRT before Shelby offered them. They do not hold up the SS hood and are just bolt on. There are other ones from Redline that SPP sells and those do require drilling.

From the SPP page......

Those aren't the Redlines...

Jer

Ahhhh, these are

http://www.shelbystore.com/Shelby-Redline-Hood-Quicklift-Kit-p/s5mb-16612.htm

I still see no mention of drilling, correct?

Click the installation instructions link and then click the correct application and it will tell you what tools are needed to install. Looks like a pretty involved installation.

Click the installation instructions link and then click the correct application and it will tell you what tools are needed to install. Looks like a pretty involved installation.

There it was, thanks....couldn't even use an existing mount on the body panel, guess its all in the required geometry.

Yea no doubt. Im just not willing to drill and rivet that hood myself.

It's a piece of cake. I took a toothpick with a dab of paint on it and 'sealed' the bare metal in the fender and the *small* hole in the hood. if I didn't know the extra holes were there, I'd never see them if I removed the hood shocks.

I was really apprehensive to drill too. Once i did, I kicked myself in the ass for not doing it sooner. The "lifting shocks" are SOOOO nice. I was at a Mustang Club 'show' and I got a TON of interest in my hood shocks. Both from people who liked the look of them, and from people (now) wanting to add them to their cars.

Phill

Guys, the installation of these is really easy… even the drilling requirements are well-specified and simple. A Prius owner could do it… (LOL)

Jer

Guys, the installation of these is really easy… even the drilling requirements are well-specified and simple. A Prius owner could do it… (LOL)

Jer

Yep, took me all of about 5 minutes.

For both sides.

Like I said, I was kicking myself for not doing it sooner.

Phill

Yep, took me all of about 5 minutes.

For both sides.

Like I said, I was kicking myself for not doing it sooner.

Phill

It really is the best and most reliable thing I can recommend.

Jer

Well after reading through the installation instructions carefully, I may just try to do this myself. For those that have done it, the only thing I'm still a little nervous about is the drilling. It looks like how the bracket mounts against the hood lip, you would be drilling a little upward toward the top of the hood. So when you feel the drill bit go through you stop immediately so it won't go through the hood? It looks very close. I've got a steady hand and am good with a drill so I know how to stop quickly soon as it does get through. Other than that, I'm not too worried about the rest of the installation.

Archived