TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Need for Speed movie with GT500 in 2014

JeffJ

There's already a few threads about the moving coming out later this year with an early model SuperSnake as the hero car in "Getaway", but today announces larger movie coming out in 2014 with a 2013 Wide Body GT500 as the hero car in the "Need for Speed" movie. This looks to be pretty cool with full Ford backing. Shelby name will be really out there in quite a few movies! Real car to be introduced later today:

http://movies.yahoo....-130021831.html

nfs_sideview.jpgw490h276crop1

Seems the car movies are quite popular. I lost track on the fast and furious line and when the latest came out I couldn't believe they were on their 6th installment already. I'm looking forward to anything with a Mustang in it as the hero car.

There's already a few threads about the moving coming out later this year with an early model SuperSnake as the hero car in "Getaway", but today announces larger movie coming out in 2014 with a 2013 Wide Body GT500 as the hero car in the "Need for Speed" movie. This looks to be pretty cool with full Ford backing. Shelby name will be really out there in quite a few movies! Real car to be introduced later today:

,,,Rear-of-2015-Ford-Mustang-Concept.jpg,,, :yahoo:

That's a Mustang GT.

That's a Mustang GT.

I would certainly hope that they would not use actual GT500's for all the stunt vehicles. It is clearly a modified Mustang GT, Ford is billing it as just a Mustang, but much of the press is billing it as a GT500 which they probably should not be.

Mustang GT with a wide body kit and Dart GTS hood scoops? :redcard:

I commented that they look like early (Gen. 2) Pontiac Firebird Formula Ram-Air scoops. They're just set a little farther back on the hood than a Formula RA-III has them.

I also commented (on Hyperstang Facebook page) that there is NOTHING Shelby about the car, except MAYBE the wide body kit...And I'm not so sure it's a Shelby unit because of the side scoops incorporated into the rear fenders (does Shelby's WB rear fender have a huge opening in the side?).

But it's being called a Shelby *Mustang* on Hyperstang, not a GT500.

Phill

Whatever its being called, its a good looking car.

Agreed. I *like* the scoops. Something different from the norm and status quo.

Phill

• 7 months later...

SCAT was invited to a Prescreen of the film this past Wednesday with the director Scott Waugh and Aaron Paul in attendance. I was honestly expecting another bad acting, bad story line car themed movie but I left the theater very entertained. While reality must be suspended for many scenes (but not many films today are completely factual) the acting and the story were good, but it's the action and sound that made the film. There are plenty of call backs to some of the greats such as Bullit, American Graffiti, Vanishing Point as well as Carroll Shelby. The story behind the hero car, the GT500 is that it's the last car Ford and Shelby collaborated on and was unfinished at the time of his passing. The scenes where the cars are the focus there are no overlaid sound tracks. The only sounds are the engines, the transmissions, and tires with a lot of POV shots. At the beginning of the film Aaron Paul is in a Grand Torino with an amazing cam lope.

I'm looking forward to watching the film again.

And the gas door on the passanger side is by design and when you watch the film you will understand.

Archived