TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Decided to upgrade the suspension!

speedrx

2009 Shelby GT500 convertible, goal is to lower stance and improve handling but not do major changes to suspension. I started with the Eibach Pro-Street-S coil-over system used on the Shelby SS, I also added a FRPP Adj Panhard bar:

Eibach_zpsf1f2b68a.jpg

Here is with the stock suspension:

Shelby001_zpsa4121b36.jpgShelby003_zps8f9f9ab9.jpg

Now with the upgraded suspension package, these were taken with my cell phone so not great but you get the idea:

Shelbylowered1_zps1491f1d9.jpgShelbyLowered3_zpsc2526e1d.jpg

I really like the look now, it rides a little firmer and tighter but not too much over stock. I put about 20 miles on it, next will be to check to make sure everything is tight and then take it for alignment. I will spend some time with it to see if I want to make other changes, I can also adjust the ride height up or down once I drive it for awhile and decide if tweaks needed.

2009 Shelby GT500 convertible, goal is to lower stance and improve handling but not do major changes to suspension. I started with the Eibach Pro-Street-S coil-over system used on the Shelby SS, I also added a FRPP Adj Panhard bar:

<SNIP>

Now with the upgraded suspension package, these were taken with my cell phone so not great but you get the idea:

ShelbyLowered3_zpsc2526e1d.jpg

I really like the look now, it rides a little firmer and tighter but not too much over stock. I put about 20 miles on it, next will be to check to make sure everything is tight and then take it for alignment. I will spend some time with it to see if I want to make other changes, I can also adjust the ride height up or down once I drive it for awhile and decide if tweaks needed.

I lowered my 2010 GT500 with the Ford Racing FR-3 Handling Pack.

My primary goal was to drop the car but handling was obviously a factor too.

I LOVE the way the car sits now and it corners like it's on rails. The ride is a *little* harsh but I knew it would be with a lower/stiffer suspension so no complaints from me.

(See my sig for all of the associated mods)

Just lowering the car by 1.5" front & 1.25" rear with the FR-3 makes the car look significantly better.

I also have the Roush side splitters so it *appears* to be even lower than it actually is and did with just the lowering springs.

It makes it look "Mean", just sitting still!

Phill

Wow, that is quite a list of mods. I was debating between the FR3 kit and the Eibach kit, both are proven systems. When Shelby put the Eibach system on sale for about half the price of the FR3, I decided to go that route. I was planning to keep it mostly stock but I continue to find things I want to do with it.

Very nice! These cars NEED to be lowered from the factory stance & I've waited long enough to do mine. I considered many different combinations any finally bit the bullet and got the full SPP Track Pack. Will be next month before I can get it installed & I'm really looking forward to better handling.

They should come this way from the factory. Too much pitch and roll in the stock suspension, plus it looks soooo much better. Sweet ride!

They should come this way from the factory.

I agree, at least as an option. FRPP has all the parts to offer an "FR3" suspension upgrade option from the factory, I think the majority of people would check the box to order it. After doing it, I can see why it is a popular mod!

I see that you are running 20 inch Alcoas. My question is how much can you lower the car before you start running into rubbing issues. I am also running Alcoas on my 07 and would like to put the Eibach lowering springs on the car. Specs say this should lower the front 1.5 and the rear 1.7 I think. Would this be to much?

i have the same eibach setup. my fronts are at the lowest setting and it still has a lot of clearance in my opinion. i'm running 20" all the way around and there's no rubbing anywhere. vastly improved look speedrx! in defense of the oem setup, it may seem mushy by comparison, but for a grand touring (GT) car, the stock suspension is really good for long distance drives and with factory 18" wheels i think it looks better when it's not lowered. i won't drive my car more than 2-3 hours at a time with the eibach setup, but it sure is pretty.

Yes, I can see why they put the factory suspension on as standard, I just think they should also provide an option (but I guess that is where Eibach comes in). I have my set pretty low and I have no rubbing issues, I am not sure you have a problem at the lowest setting, maybe with 4 people and a loaded trunk. The first ride was a little strange as it felt like the front was too high, after having the rear so high and leaning forward, but started feeling normal quickly. I did need the adj panhard bar to set the rear perfectly even.

IMO - The Michelin's are the best tire on the street for performance driving and light to medium track duty. Love mine!

IMO - The Michelin's are the best tire on the street for performance driving and light to medium track duty. Love mine!

Agreed, the Michelins are awesome for the street and provide the best balance of ride and performace. They are not drag radials, if you are looking for drag tires for extended track use, look for something specifically designed for racing.

Your car looks great.

I bought this kit for my 12 vert and have yet to install it though. I had to buy caster/camber plates as well. I didn't buy the adjustable panhard bar because I want to do a Watts Link next. I may just sit on these until I get the Watts Link to install at the same time.

Archived