TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT-H hood - SMC or Fiberglass

It is fiberglass. Jer

Thank you. We are having difficulty with the original hood for some mysterious reason. The hood was based and cleared along with the roof, and although the roof remains in perfect condition and never had any issue, the hood issues remain. After the initial cut/buff all was perfect. A month or two later and what looks like patches of solvent pop were scattered on select areas of the hood only. The hood was then again wet sanded smooth and buffed - the hood was perfect again. A few weeks later, the same thing. The rest of the car is flawless. We are stumped and my painter insists it's the hood materials as he resealed and prepped the hood after sanding down the old finish just to be extra cautious. This makes sense to me because if there was contamination, water in the lines, etc...wouldn't the roof also be affected since they were sprayed at the same time?

Does anybody else have finish issues with their hoods? These same types of pin dots were on the hood before we started the project, but it had already been repainted so....

Granted, most people probably wouldn't notice what I'm referring to, but under the lights in the garage at certain angles it is visible.

My hood has been fine since the re-paint, but I have the same issue you are talking about on my B pillar behind the drivers door. I'm interested what my painter will think about that when he see's it in Steamboat Springs next week. It's odd, it started coming out a year after being painted. Now getting worse a couple years later.

Thank you. We are having difficulty with the original hood for some mysterious reason. The hood was based and cleared along with the roof, and although the roof remains in perfect condition and never had any issue, the hood issues remain. After the initial cut/buff all was perfect. A month or two later and what looks like patches of solvent pop were scattered on select areas of the hood only. The hood was then again wet sanded smooth and buffed - the hood was perfect again. A few weeks later, the same thing. The rest of the car is flawless. We are stumped and my painter insists it's the hood materials as he resealed and prepped the hood after sanding down the old finish just to be extra cautious. This makes sense to me because if there was contamination, water in the lines, etc...wouldn't the roof also be affected since they were sprayed at the same time?

Does anybody else have finish issues with their hoods? These same types of pin dots were on the hood before we started the project, but it had already been repainted so....

Granted, most people probably wouldn't notice what I'm referring to, but under the lights in the garage at certain angles it is visible.

If you can email me some hi-res pictures, I will try to get you any info I can. Jer

OK, it looks to me as if the prep to remove the original paint may have been too aggressive, and the hood was stripped so far down, it removed the original gelcoat sealing layer. If that layer is removed, or even thinned too much, the paint will sit fine, until the car sees heat cycles from sunlight, engine heat, etc. At that point, the porosity of the fiberglass creates air pockets (you can verify this by trying to "pop" one of those "blisters" with a pin). Here is the proper prep to redo the hood: Use Evercoat Hybrid Polyester Finish Sand 4:1 (Part Number 100738, mixed 4:1 with its catalyst, Part Number 100733). You'll need a 1.8 or 2.0 needle on the paint gun, it is relatively thick. Let it dry, preferably in sunlight for 2-3 days. Jer

Can see them. Thanks for sharing.

As you can imagine, pretty tough to see with the naked eye (like all that metallic flake). Still, I want to get it right and my painter was concerned that other hoods might suffer from the same fate so I thought I would ask (: I'm guessing the PO must have messed it up when he repainted. As I typed this the answer has now dawned on me. This is right on the stripe areas and edges of the stripe areas. Exactly where the PO scrapped through the paint trying to remove the stripes. He must have gone through the GEL coat!!!!!!

It's one of the two big errors we see occur out in the field. The other one? Blotchy metallic finishes from a lack of static control. Fiberglass is a specialty! Jer

Makes sense. Stripe removal is a pain in the butt and could cause someone to take off to much surface on the fiberglass. My original hood still has the original stripes etc. I decided not to paint it while it just sits in a box in storage. I agree, when you look close at my stripes you can also see the metallic flake. Amazing how the gold plays with the light.

Archived