TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2008 KR hood on ebay

Do you, or anyone know, if this will fit a 08SGTSC? (Whipple 550HP Set Up)

From past threads, no. They fit the GT500 nose with the "mouth" sides and don't line up right with a standard Mustang grille.

But I've seen front facia's for a GT500 on e-bay plenty of times so it CAN be done.

Phill

In addition to the cost of the hood you need to be prepared for additional costs:

1. Hood Locking mechanism and locking plates to mount on the radiator support (you need to cut 1.25" hole in radiator support where center rubber stops are stock)
  2. If you have hood struts you will need to replace with the lower pressure version
  3. Install adjustable hood stops to mount on outboard radiator support next to fender
  4. paint hood body color
  5. replace vinyl stripes or paint stripes
  6. If you have a radiator cover you have to cut holes for the hood locks to lock to radiator support and repaint radiator cover

As you can see lots of costs beyond the hood it self.

In addition to the cost of the hood you need to be prepared for additional costs:

1. Hood Locking mechanism and locking plates to mount on the radiator support (you need to cut 1.25" hole in radiator support where center rubber stops are stock)

2. If you have hood struts you will need to replace with the lower pressure version

3. Install adjustable hood stops to mount on outboard radiator support next to fender

4. paint hood body color

5. replace vinyl stripes or paint stripes

6. If you have a radiator cover you have to cut holes for the hood locks to lock to radiator support and repaint radiator cover

As you can see lots of costs beyond the hood it self.

I'm not sure about #3...I didn't do this on my GT500 for this hood. The 2 inner bumpers and 2 twist-locks and receivers were all that I used.

I was pretty sure that I needed to paint it and all, but was just asking since I already have the TruFiber SS hood. This wa one the car when I bought it, and I am looking to add an original Shelby one back on the car. I just want to keep the SS look, since it has been SC'ed with the Whipple 550hp option. Before anyone ask, no it was not done thru SAI or Tasca, but through a local Ford Dealership in VA, but still would want the car to be as original as possible with original Shelby parts & options.

08SGT:SC   Front

I was pretty sure that I needed to paint it and all, but was just asking since I already have the TruFiber SS hood. This wa one the car when I bought it, and I am looking to add an original Shelby one back on the car. I just want to keep the SS look, since it has been SC'ed with the Whipple 550hp option. Before anyone ask, no it was not done thru SAI or Tasca, but through a local Ford Dealership in VA, but still would want the car to be as original as possible with original Shelby parts & options.

The hood shown in the pic is not a SS style hood but appears to be a KR style hood. Couldn't the hood be secured without the hood pins, using the stock GT500 latches?

I believe that to install an "official" SS hood, you would need to replace the front fascia.

To further muddy the waters...the TruFiber hood in the pic IS a KR style hood. I ran one on my previous GT500. They make one with and one without the hood lock holes. The issue is that the hoodpins that are installed in the pic are NOT in TruFiber's mold...someone did their own mod to make them fit. So...the real KR hood has the hood locks and receivers towards the outer edge of the hood. If I was to take a guess...it looks someone mounted the hoodpin's where the inner/middle hood stops/bumpers were.

Here's a my TruFiber hood and my KR hood:

HPIM1267_02.jpg

DSCN0544_b.jpg

HPIM1267_02.jpg

DSCN0544_b.jpg

I'm not sure about #3...I didn't do this on my GT500 for this hood. The 2 inner bumpers and 2 twist-locks and receivers were all that I used.

Well yours does not match up with what they did on the production KRs.

The $4k I was referring to was via ebay and other Mustang forums NOT Shelby.

Well yours does not match up with what they did on the production KRs.

So you made me go look...and yep, sure enough there's an added hood stop. I've never noticed it before and no I didn't do it on my car and everything is fine, so I wonder about it's necessity.

Here's the stop:

08 Shelby GT 500 KR_17b.jpg

08 Shelby GT 500 KR_17b.jpg

The $4k I was referring to was via ebay and other Mustang forums NOT Shelby.

So you made me go look...and yep, sure enough there's an added hood stop. I've never noticed it before and no I didn't do it on my car and everything is fine, so I wonder about it's necessity.

Here's the stop:

Not sure if its necessary, but all you have to do is put a nutsert into the available holes already in the front of the fender lip and screw in a hood bumper from a fox body. Easy to do if you have the nutsert installer. I ended up spending moe than I wanted to replicate the KR.

Yeah, that's a lot for a hood! I was shocked at final price too.

That's pretty typical for a genuine KR/Plasan hood!

Wait until you see one sell with the OE/genuine hood twist locks included...

Phill

Archived