TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Max HP you can get with an automatic?

mikeljgt500kr

Do you mean as a Shelby package? I don't believe that there is a difference on what they will do with the GTS. You can do either I believe. Might need to call if that is your question. Depends on who see's the thread here.

They told me they won't put a supercharger on an automatic as part of the GTS build because it will void the Ford warranty. The Speed Shop will do it if you want. I don't know what the automatic transmission can actually handle.

Does your friend know you can get an automatic GT350 if that's what he prefers?

They told me they won't put a supercharger on an automatic as part of the GTS build because it will void the Ford warranty. The Speed Shop will do it if you want. I don't know what the automatic transmission can actually handle.

No, I didn't know you could do a GT350 with an auto. But can you supercharge an auto GT350 at SAI?

Ahhh.... I think you are correct. Whipple or Ford Racing superchargers all seem to only be for manual transmission cars. Odd, Vortech, Edelbrock, Roush, all have kits for both auto and manual. Probably have to call to find out for sure.

Thanks, guess I will have to talk to Jeremy when I pick up my GT350 next week about this. Seems superchargers and autos just don't mix well. He may have to settle for a regular GT 5.0 Coyote with some SAI bling and forget the HP.

• 3 weeks later...

If I am not mistaken, whipple use to s/c automatics with 475 h.p. and the 5speeds like mine at 550 h.p.

That is correct. At least that was an option back in Sept/Nov 2009 when I SC my GT-H at SAI. I chose to stay old school for the heritage. WOW, 2013 already. Time flies.

Late to the thread but I believe I read in 5.0 Magazine a modified Mustang with AT was running 650HP at the wheels. I can't recall what month the article was but it's been in the last year. I attempted to search 5.0 site but had no luck getting by the pop ups to buy their magazine ... which I subscribe too. Procharger claims 475HP at the crank with 8lbs of boost and Shelby told me they would do an AT but like everyone else has pointed out, it voids the warranty. Maybe someone on AllFordMustangs.com Forums will have an answer.

This was discussed at some length when the gt/sc package first came out. I had both manual and auto cars. Both have an engine design that is thought (but guaranteed in writing) to be safe somewhere around 600-625 crank hp. Jeff may dispute that assertion though. This the HP on manual cars was about 550 (which is in kenne bell's spec sheet, mine were both KB)

The auto transmission is a weak link. I thought my auto car was set to 475-500 but that may have been early cars.

Like I said check the gtsc forum as this was discussed long ago

My Hertz was dyno tuned for the street (safely) over 20K miles ago with about 450 HP at the wheels with the Whipple HO (intercooled) and a large pulley (only 9 psi).

Nice car! Love that hood and color combo. I wanted a 50 Anniversary edition of the GTS but it was a little out of my price range.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived