TEAM SHELBY FORUM

For those brave men and women...

CSX4833

Every Memorial Day I put out a new flag outside our house to replace the faded one that has been up for the past year. I fear that throughout the year, I forget what freedoms our brave service personnel provide to us as they defend our country and its flag; with their lives. I feel bad that I seem to remember our countries soldiers more around Memorial Day. One of the most beautiful songs ever in my mind is Taps and I plan to listen to it each day this weekend and put up with that "lump in my throat" that it always seems to create.

We owe so much to these brave men and women and as I enjoy this long weekend driving my American made car, I hope I remember that the freedom I have provided to me by these soldiers is in part why there is no finer country in the world despite its faults.

I hope all of you and your loved ones have a safe and wonderful holiday weekend.

Great sentiment! I especially enjoyed the picture of the Unknown Soldier! I know all of my fellow Vets appreciate the sentiment as well. My thoughts are with the families of our fallen Men and Women of the Armed Forces! Even though their loved ones made the ultimate sacrifice; they are the ones who really carry on there legacy! So let's also tip a glass today to those families who have also suffered the loss of our Vets!! Thanks!

I am 2nd generation American. My grandparents came from Norway in the early 1900s. My Mom was truly "Rosie the Riveter" building planes in the factory in California during WWII. My dad, who had dwarf characteristics, and therefore 4F was a welder in the factory. A big stretch for a couple from rural SD in those days. My grandmother lived with us and was so proud of her American citizenship and I grew up with her putting on her hat and gloves to go and vote and displayed the flag always in our home. We always attended Memorial Day services and I still do, and the 4th of July was very special at our house. Both holidays were remembered for what they stood for and not a vacation as well as Veteran's Day. My neighbor was a Bataan Death March Survivor and I remember that even though he didn't discuss that with us as children we were well aware that he had endured much. I had good friends in the Viet Nam war and did not lose any thank God. A day to remember and give thanks for all who have served to keep us free. :salute: :salute:

I am 2nd generation American. My grandparents came from Norway in the early 1900s. My Mom was truly "Rosie the Riveter" building planes in the factory in California during WWII. My dad, who had dwarf characteristics, and therefore 4F was a welder in the factory. A big stretch for a couple from rural SD in those days. My grandmother lived with us and was so proud of her American citizenship and I grew up with her putting on her hat and gloves to go and vote and displayed the flag always in our home. We always attended Memorial Day services and I still do, and the 4th of July was very special at our house. Both holidays were remembered for what they stood for and not a vacation as well as Veteran's Day. My neighbor was a Bataan Death March Survivor and I remember that even though he didn't discuss that with us as children we were well aware that he had endured much. I had good friends in the Viet Nam war and did not lose any thank God. A day to remember and give thanks for all who have served to keep us free. :salute: :salute:

Where in South Dakota? I'm from North Sioux (McCook Lake), but usually say Sioux City.

I grew up with some real WWII saviors. My dad's boss was a colonel at D-Day. My "uncle" Frank was on Iwo Jima and saw the first real flag go up. He told me many times that he wouldn't have lived "had it not been for the Indian" (this was in the late 60's). Well it turn out the Indian was a Code Talker.

Flash forward. I had the privilege of being invited to the housewarming for Sgt. Allen Dale June. Sgt. June was one of the first 29 Code Talkers. I didn't know what it was until I was there. My daughter was with me. We almost left because we didn't feel that it was right for us to be at what was a very private Native American ceremony but we were told that we were invited special guests becaus of my story with Frank, and that they would be more upset if we didn't stay.

They were all American heroes.

6 years ago, memorial day meant this much to me: Sweet, no school.

Then in high school I marched in the local parade in the marching band. I would not only hear the speech, I would see the people. A couple friends of mine and I would personally meet these people after the speech because we were curious of something - this thing called bravery. Its not easy to be brave. And its not easy to join something that means putting your life on the line.

Fast forwards a tiny bit here. One of those friends I mentioned enlisted. Not only that, I am in school with people who just got out. I hold a definite respect for everyone who defends our country. The one that gets me a bit is that most of the people you hear about losing their life across seas are around my age.

Memorial day means a lot to everyone. And it rightfully should.

Where in South Dakota? I'm from North Sioux (McCook Lake), but usually say Sioux City.

I grew up with some real WWII saviors. My dad's boss was a colonel at D-Day. My "uncle" Frank was on Iwo Jima and saw the first real flag go up. He told me many times that he wouldn't have lived "had it not been for the Indian" (this was in the late 60's). Well it turn out the Indian was a Code Talker.

Flash forward. I had the privilege of being invited to the housewarming for Sgt. Allen Dale June. Sgt. June was one of the first 29 Code Talkers. I didn't know what it was until I was there. My daughter was with me. We almost left because we didn't feel that it was right for us to be at what was a very private Native American ceremony but we were told that we were invited special guests becaus of my story with Frank, and that they would be more upset if we didn't stay.

They were all American heroes.

Northwestern South Dakota-on the prairie. How interesting about the code talkers. Have a great Memorial Day!

Archived