TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What is a good replacement tire for the Shelby GT?

Paul2007SGT

Hi everyone. I bought the Shelby GT from Camax, and it has a relatively new set of Falken all season performance tires, Ziex ZE912, 235-50-18's. What do you guys think of these tires? Seems like they are for import tuner cars, yuk. What tire brand would you guys recommend? I think I may stick with the stock tire size. I know the car came with BFG's. Thanks for your imput guys.

Yeah, I agree...an American car, esp. a Mustang, should not IMO wear Japanese branded tires. When I finally replace mine I am currently planning on going with a different BFG tire. They might be made in Japan for all I know, but at least they don't advertise that; they are actually owned by Michelin. They've been good tires, and BFG is "original equipt." on Shelby GT's, so I figure why not? They even list the Shelby GT in their vehicle selector! Since I don't drive in the winter, I'll be going with a summer / high performance tire like this one...

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-selector/vehicle/2007/Ford/Mustang/Shelby%20GT/OE/BNW/g-force-sport-comp-2/tire-details

http://americanmadetires.com/where-tires-are-made.html

Michelin..... you can't go wrong. Stay away from Goodyear unless you like seeing your car spin.

I just replaced my tires as well. I had BFG, 255/35/20 Front, and 275/35/20 in the rear. Replaced these with the Michelin Pilots. I like the BFG, but the Michelins are much smoother, and better grip. No Doubt, they are very $$, but I think it's well worth it.

I'd second a Michelin nomination, just on the basis of consistent quality in all areas: ride comfort, handling, braking, tread life.

Expensive, but they remove all concern from the tire-selection process.

+1, orginals were terrible, no grip, I put nitto 555's on mine.

I did a Summit Point track day on mine. I was surprised how well they performed. Not a track tire obviously, but they were predictable and a little slip and slide is fun.

All I can say is that I have 235/50-18 Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires on my convert with 25,000 + miles on them and still have tread life left . They are GREAT tires , handle well in dry or wet conditions , quiet , and I couldn't be happier . IMO well worth the extra $ .

Archived