TEAM SHELBY FORUM

San Diego

shadinator

Welcome aboard! And yep, there are several of us in the area.

I agree with Michael; JBA is first rate and located on Kearny Mesa. In fact if you check the web site you'll find Jay hosts a Sunday Morning coffee and cars once or twice a month.

John

I want to know what Jim Clark17357 told you in private, and why ... ¹

JBA installed my Koni yellows. Reasonable price, prompt completion; however, they failed to set the fronts on full soft, as I had requested ², and didn't torque the front lug nuts ³.

¹ Privileged information?

² May have been due to Koni not having included the appropriate-size adjuster knob: the rears were fine, but the knob that works on the rear has a slot too small to accommodate the tab on the front adjusters. Still, they could have used a small wrench, or even a pliers, or at least said something.

³ That is enough to keep me away from JBA. Unforgivable.

I want to know what Jim Clark17357 told you in private, and why ... ¹

Frank - nothing sinister. I provided him with the name of the speed shop I use.

Jim

I usually go to AA Auto in El Cajon to have work done. http://sdautofix.com/ They have lots of experience with Mustangs. They've done everything from installing a complete Kenne Bell 3.6LC kit to swapping out my brake rotors. I usually don't hear good things about JBA. I've had them tune my car but no actual mechanical work. I remember I called about getting some work done a long time ago and they were really expensive. CCC Motorsports in Santee was also very expensive. They (CCC) quoted me $700 just in labor to install boost and wideband a/f gauges and a raptor shift light. AA told me it would be about $250.

That's what I'd guessed. I would like to know which it is, and why you can't just say so on the forum.

Frank,

My sense of such things is when someone asks a question about a place to take their car, they are after information they intend to use to make what is a highly personal decision. Most folks already have a speed shop with which they are happy so I figure there is little to be gained by publicly posting my individual experiences, good or bad. We have all seen a simple request for information ending up being the beginning of a debate about "x" or "y" rather than staying on topic (this thread has remained focused on the original topic). Most accept that the best shop is the one in which an owner has confidence and, as above, if someone wants to look for a new shop, there are plenty of folks on the forum who can offer information. I know when I ask a question and get a PM back with an answer there is, at least for me, a sense that the information is offered to help educate me with my issue rather than for any other purpose. In the end, it is just my way a doing it. There is certainly nothing wrong with the way others do it, i.e., posting it for all to see. On this particular thread, it appears the original poster now has some usable information upon which to base a decision.

Jim

Welcome aboard! And yep, there are several of us in the area.

I agree with Michael; JBA is first rate and located on Kearny Mesa. In fact if you check the web site you'll find Jay hosts a Sunday Morning coffee and cars once or twice a month.

John

It's the second Sunday each month.

• 6 months later...

I'm a new member to the SD region. Maybe ill run into a few of you down by QUALCOMM some Saturday or sunday. btw not to sound disrespectful but I stopped by JBA with my GT and they acted like they had never seen one before and that it would take a ton of work to supercharge my 3v. ehh...probably so but still the guy at the counter kind of gave me an unwelcome feeling...just saying, but everyone else seemed very nice.

I'm a new member to the SD region. Maybe ill run into a few of you down by QUALCOMM some Saturday or sunday. btw not to sound disrespectful but I stopped by JBA with my GT and they acted like they had never seen one before and that it would take a ton of work to supercharge my 3v. ehh...probably so but still the guy at the counter kind of gave me an unwelcome feeling...just saying, but everyone else seemed very nice.

When I used to go to JBA, I met some great guys like Greg and Wes. They left and I went with them. They both ended up at CCC in Santee. Wes has now retired. I saw the post about CCC being expensive. My experience has been that they charge reasonable prices. JBA always was expensive but the work they did for me was first class and, as you can see, I have a SGT.

Jim

• 1 month later...

Archived