TEAM SHELBY FORUM

TPMSensor light on..will a "learning tool" take this away?

cormy

Do you still have stock wheels / tires or did you recently change? If no changes you might just check w your local tire dealer - might charge $25 to check / reset. Or maybe a TS guy can mail you a reset tool.

A couple things u could try...disconnect/reconnect the battery to see if the tpms system resets. You'll have to reset your clock and maybe some other radio stuff if you do this. Also overinflate your tires temporarily to see what happens.

Aside from seasonal false readings, I have had to replace the faulty culprit. I bought the valve stem sensors for the Shelby this time around. I was told they can be rebuilt as periodic maintenance.

For under 50 bucks, it is worthwhile to have the reset tool. If you change wheels often, it is handy to have it. It will also help you determine if the sensor is faulty and you need a new one. I know it seems useless until you need it. I always recommend buying the sensors with it included for anyone buying a new set of wheels that does not have this already. Many have this or the set available, LMR, Blue Oval, etc...

http://www.latemodel...r-Training-Tool

Aside from seasonal false readings, I have had to replace the faulty culprit. I bought the valve stem sensors for the Shelby this time around. I was told they can be rebuilt as periodic maintenance.

These valve stem sensors you mention...do they replace the old strapped on sensors such as my 2007 has?

Yes it does replace the bands. I bought mine from American Muscle, the link is below. The kit comes with the four sensors, programming tool and instructional DVD on how to put the cars computer into programming mode.

Yes it does replace the bands. I bought mine from American Muscle, the link is below. The kit comes with the four sensors, programming tool and instructional DVD on how to put the cars computer into programming mode.

yeah, I bought the same thing with my wheels and tires..... but I can't get it to reset :banghead: I have to try deflating them and re-filling them. Only problem is I want to keep the nitrogen, so now I have to pay to have them "recharged" hoping to get them to work. I even had the local garage try and he couldn't do it either. I'm thinking I will get it done at Carlisle.

Disconnected the battery last night....warning light came right back on once reconnected! :censored:

Any way to determine which tire sensor it is?

I know on mine if push the "reset" on the dash the light goes out for a while, at least it's not flashing in face that way. I never did figure out how to decide which tire it is. Maybe by resetting them you may find out because you must do them in sequence. I would think if one were bad it would show up then.

Some of the tire guys (Discount Tire) will come out and reset it for you for no charge. I went by and they checked it and if a bad sensor, they can put one in. When I purchased my 500, it had a bad sensor. Purchased the valve stem kind from AM. Took it to Discount Tire and they installed it and reset the computer.

Yeah but ya hafta cut the wires to that damn bell!!!!

Bell? Mine doesn't do that!

yeah, I bought the same thing with my wheels and tires..... but I can't get it to reset :banghead: I have to try deflating them and re-filling them. Only problem is I want to keep the nitrogen, so now I have to pay to have them "recharged" hoping to get them to work. I even had the local garage try and he couldn't do it either. I'm thinking I will get it done at Carlisle.

I have a question; The air we inhale is roughly 78% nitrogen so what do you get for the extra 22% nitrogen??

More stable tire pressures, decreased leakage through the rubber, reduced moisture content and reduction of possible wheel corrosion due to moisture. Hard to say if the actual results merit the cost of doing it properly though, plus the hassle/expense of topping off later on.

This weekend I was cleaning my rims off the car and heard the TPMS Sensor rolling around in the rear passenger tire. Guess it broke off from the mount. :ohsnap:

So to Ebay I go and buy a new sensor and mounting ring for my 2008. A learning tool wouldn't have done much for this, my local tire shop does have the tool when I bring it to them to repair.

This weekend I was cleaning my rims off the car and heard the TPMS Sensor rolling around in the rear passenger tire. Guess it broke off from the mount. :ohsnap:

So to Ebay I go and buy a new sensor and mounting ring for my 2008. A learning tool wouldn't have done much for this, my local tire shop does have the tool when I bring it to them to repair.

well that's one way to check! Good find.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to keep this lingering BUT I had my local tire shop replace the sensor. When I picked it up the light was still on...they insisted it will go out after I drive it a certain number of miles or at a certain speed for so long...BUT if I really wanted they could used the reseting tool for a charge of $15 Which they insist is a waste of my money. I I don't think the light is going away on its own, I even disconnected the battery.

What's the procedure with the sensor tool ?

park the car away from all other cars, turn it off, press the brake on and off, turn the key to the on position (do not start the car) three times, press the brake on and off, turn the key to the on position (do not start the car) three times and leave it in the on position. THe horn will beep once and the indicator light will come on stating "reset left front tire" when you take the tool to the LF tire and press the button the horn will beep and you move clockwise around the car repeating one tire at a time.

When I purchased my car over a year ago, the TPMS sensor was on....drove car to a show down the interstate and had a WICKED vibration at 70....needless to say, the sensor had come off the mount. Previous owner had double sided taped it on the wheel.

Purchased a 2010 valve stem sensor from American Muscle, tire shop put it in and no problems since.

Archived