TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SGT3199 Gets a new hood.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

im in the middle of painting the stripes on a 07 Black SGT and im wondering why some of you guys had to take the front and back glass out ?? JIM

My GT-H gold stripes were very close if not touching the window seal. To avoid paint buildup and masking issues, get a factory look without the stripes just ending short of the windows, I chose to let the body shop remove them and reinstall. Its your choice and if the SGT stripes stop short of the windows and it looks good, it should be fine in paint I guess. I think removing them it gives a clean factory look. Remember this is paint not the tape stripes. Should also note the painted stripes are now under clear. No edge to feel.

You nailed it Harald. With the silver or in your case, gold under the clear, pulling the window allows no nasty build up on the front edge. Thus a cleaner look.

Dan

Wow, I think yours is farther along than mine. It's looking really good, I can't wait to see it done. How are they doing the underside of the hood?

Center portion will be black "rock chip" paint.The rest plain white.

My fine tooth comb did not come out clean. Stripes looked great but they need to detail the car. They also pointed out something about the hood that got under my skin and I will get into in more detail when she gets home. Promised to be finished by noon tomorrow. I have been very patient so far as I don't want them to rush anything, but their detail guy wont like it if I show up early tomorrow to watch him work.

The slots/louvers in the front portion of the hood were cut about 1 inch off center and very sloppily done. Some major shaping was required just to get them to match side to side. This is one of the reasons they bitched about all the extra prep work required. I would have never noticed it but this shop prides itself in quality work and wanted me to be aware of this defect. I wanted to wait to disclose this until I got her home so I could snap some pics. Kind of hard to explain without photos to back it up. Yoggie, since yours is a little further behind in the process, I decided to let you know so you could see if you have the same problem.

Thanks for letting me know Rob. I had noticed that the slot on the drivers side of the hood was misshaped. I pointed it out to the body guy and he said he'd take care of it. The pictures he sent me of the hood seems to show that he smoothed it all out and made each side look even. I'll make sure to pay close attention to this when I pick the car up next week......hopefully. I'm more concerned in how cleanly they mount the mesh in the vents.

Rob, that looks fantastic! If you hadn't warned me about the vents being offset, I would have never noticed it on yours. Where in Illinois are you? I grew up most of my life in O'Fallon IL. How different does it feel driving it?

Im in Peoria. Was only a couple mile drive home and something did feel different but couldn't put my finger on it. I did notice that the hood is very close to the coolant res cap. Hope not too close since I just ordered a new cap set.

Looks like your rear trunk lid "SHELBY" letters may be incorrectly spaced. Maybe someone can confirm. Below is a picture of a SGT C deck lid. I think we are all the same except the 2006 GT-H got the letters with pin holes like the 1966 so our don't need a template because they are not stick on. You can also look at my signature pictures. There is a rear shot even though they are before I painted the stripes.

http://www.ecarhouse.com/images/cars/341/1588stk10.JPG

Harald, you are correct about the letter spacing. There is a Barrett Jackson in your Photobucket stream you can see it on as well.

Roblectric, your car looks great and you are not being too picky. This is your car and you want it done right. I would think they could have made a correction with the vent to improve it. It would bother me, so I understand how you feel.

I bought the letters from SPP and also provided them with the stencil for proper placement. Will be checking with them Monday about the use of that stencil. I knew I could count on you all to find stuff like this. Thanks!

Archived