TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SGT3199 Gets a new hood.

Decided I should start my own thread rather than intrude on yoggiebhr's thread. Sorry yoggie.

Dropped mine off at the paint shop yesterday morning. Thought I knew exactly what I wanted but noticed how different the color was between the Le Mans stripes and rocker stripes. The more I looked at it , the darker the Le Mans stripes looked. Much work to be done before they start mixing paint. So I have some time. My first choice is to match the rocker stripe color as those stripes will remain and this option costs nothing extra. Not sure what other option there is because my budget is already gone above my expectations. Ideas?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Rob. Now your nail biting begins! I went with the recommendations I've seen in a number of threads for the stripe color, PPG Satin Silver. That seems to be the popular choice. I haven't been that worried about trying to match the side stripe colors because they're going to look different due to the fact that you're looking at a vertical surface instead of a horizontal surface. I guess we'll see how I like to when its done. I know for a fact that it'll look better than the completely degraded vinyl stripes. Make sure you post some pics too!

Here are the standard ones:

Sherwin Williams: 63454

Ford (TL): M7049A

PPG: 5832

DuPont:P2294

Remember that every paint code has a Prime and several lighter and darker variants. And Yoggie's right - a vertical and horizontal surface won't match anyway. My vinyl rockers looked WAY darker than my hood, even though they were from the same lot of vinyl! The Le Mans stripes reflect the light above the car, the rockers reflect the ground... it's a bothersome optical illusion. Jer

I told them I would have a decision when I came to pick up the old hood. They are keeping me in the loop throughout the whole process so should be able to provide some pics. They use DuPont paints so will ask to see a sample of the P2294.

Our lead painter here did a few different sprayouts (swatches) that I was able to lay across the trunklid and compare to the existing vinyl stripes outside in the sun, it was eye-opening. It goes without saying that they need to do the sprayouts over the same basecoat color they will be using for the car. Jer

Our lead painter here did a few different sprayouts (swatches) that I was able to lay across the trunklid and compare to the existing vinyl stripes outside in the sun, it was eye-opening. It goes without saying that they need to do the sprayouts over the same basecoat color they will be using for the car. Jer

YEP, I recall going through the same process not too long ago with my Hertz. Nothing they mix will be a perfect match to the vinyl - in the end go with which one is the most pleasing. For the Hertz, we determined that the gold needed to be applied over white base first before spraying the black. Since this was a custom blend/mix, we mixed enough to finish nearly 2 cars in case we needed to do repair work down the road or what-not. Take your time to make the right decision - these types of things can't be "undone" without pulling your wallet back out.

Went out of town for the weekend but stopped by the shop last Thursday to pick up my old hood. Seems there was a lot of interest in whether or not the owner was keeping it. I said " sorry guys, I'm takin it home". The front bumper cover and grill were off and they had started removing vinyl from the trunk lid. Didn't look like the vinyl was coming off easily. He said there was ALOT of work to be done on the new hood which didn't concern me much after he assured me it would look perfect. They are going to paint some test panels for me to choose from hopefully this week. I requested a little metallic flake for the new stripes. Maybe something like Fords Ingot Silver metallic. Still can't make up my mind but I will know it when I see it. Also told them not to drill for windshield washer nozzles. Will relocate them to the windshield wipers later.They said they take pictures throughout the whole process on every job they do but they haven't emailed any yet. I think I will stop in tomorrow after work and check progress. Maybe rattle their cage for some pics.

No.

OK.. Just make sure they do not spray the rubber seal around the window. It's there. See how they will handle the rubber seal. Several of us that went through the process had the front and rear windows pulled. Actually my painter recommended it to insure a factory look.

The vinyl stripes never touched the rubber seal in the front but did wrap around the rear "lip" . Its almost as if the original installer was worried that the stripes were not long enough to make it to the rear window. Either way , my shop fully understands my concerns and ensured me that glass removal was not necessary to achieve a clean look. If the glass were not factory installed, I might have went the other way.

Painted Le Mans stripes from Shelby have a break, they don't go all the way to the windshield or back glass. We do the roof that way so anyone who wants to redo or undo their stripes later will have it easier. Trunk lids, fascias, and hoods have no break. Jer

Monday I was told the car would be done by today. Stopped in Tuesday and they were still working on the hood.. Said they had over 12 hours labor just in the hood, and hadn't drilled the pin holes yet. Keeping fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Mine is going slow because the guys do it on downtime. The customers' cars come first, mine gets worked on when there's nothing else to do, or on the weekend. Plus, we fiddled with different mesh materials for the Deep Draw hood, looking for something unique. We ended up with the stainless mesh from a GT350/GTS... the guys swore to never do THAT again, it does NOT bend easily, and was a PAIN to fit to the Deep Draw vent contours. We also played with a few different paint formulas before we arrived at the EXACT shade and metallic content to replicate the SGT vinyl stripes. It's now in our system as the "official" formula for SGT scoops we'll paint going forward. It always drove me nuts that the scoop was less "sparkly" than the stripes.

Jer

Oooops! Double post.

Painted Le Mans stripes from Shelby have a break, they don't go all the way to the windshield or back glass. We do the roof that way so anyone who wants to redo or undo their stripes later will have it easier. Trunk lids, fascias, and hoods have no break. Jer

im in the middle of painting the stripes on a 07 Black SGT and im wondering why some of you guys had to take the front and back glass out ?? JIM

im in the middle of painting the stripes on a 07 Black SGT and im wondering why some of you guys had to take the front and back glass out ?? JIM

My GT-H gold stripes were very close if not touching the window seal. To avoid paint buildup and masking issues, get a factory look without the stripes just ending short of the windows, I chose to let the body shop remove them and reinstall. Its your choice and if the SGT stripes stop short of the windows and it looks good, it should be fine in paint I guess. I think removing them it gives a clean factory look. Remember this is paint not the tape stripes. Should also note the painted stripes are now under clear. No edge to feel.

Archived