TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SPP shipping ^&%&$#!

WillyT

Please forgive my rant as I understand why SPP would want to require a signature for delivery of online part orders, but I work during the day. I have to now wait to get my parts until a Saturday when I'm free to drive to the other side of town where FedEx Home is located so I can pick up my parts. Very frustrating. Please consider allowing buyers to opt in or out for a required signature.

Ok, I'm done. Great parts though.

I had this same problem...when I got my mufflers, in addition to paying for shipping I had to expend 2 hours of time and related gas expense to get them from Fed Ex.

I understand that Jer is working on provided other shipping options and that will be a big plus. UPS has a store 5 minutes from me.

Does your FedEx driver leave the note on your door? What they do for me, then I sign the paper, leave it back on my door and the next delivery day they drop off like normal. Yes it sucks a bit but I do still get my items at my door.

I either ship them to my work because shipping to commercial is cheaper than residential but ill also sign the signature release form and leave it on my front door if I know they are coming.

Ship them to your business if you can-it's less expensive and there will never be a signature issue. The signature requirement to a residence can partly be due value, but both UPS and FedEx have a thousands of dollars in claims for shipments that for some reason end up "missing" once delivered to homes. FedEx doesn't have a signature waiver except for their air shipments. Being an owner of a chain of UPS Stores, I'm quite familiar with the problem as I hear the complaints every day. The "lost" packages is a huge financial cost to both carriers but UPS has determined the cost to be minimal in relation to the volume they deal with. FedEx, however, doesn't have the volume to absorb the loss. It may seem a hassle now, but think of how much of a hassle it would be if you told FedEx to leave a package and you never got it. First you would be mad at the carrier, of which would do no good since you waived the signature in the first place. Then you would have to reorder the item doubling your cost. This is especially a problem during the holidays but less so throughout the year. Unscrupulous people follow both UPS and FedEx trucks around all day and when the coast is clear, they do the 5 finger discount. Everything, has a value to somebody somewhere. It is a double edged sword.

It may seem a hassle now, but think of how much of a hassle it would be if you told FedEx to leave a package and you never got it. First you would be mad at the carrier, of which would do no good since you waived the signature in the first place. Then you would have to reorder the item doubling your cost. This is especially a problem during the holidays but less so throughout the year. Unscrupulous people follow both UPS and FedEx trucks around all day and when the coast is clear, they do the 5 finger discount. Everything, has a value to somebody somewhere. It is a double edged sword.

Absolutely true.

We have FAR more complaints for missing shipments than for "Signature Required" inconvenience.

Sometimes it is theft by shipping staff. Sad, but true, truck drivers have brought nice things to their OWN houses instead of customers', and even processing hubs have shrink issues.

Sometimes it's loss due to misdelivery. A UPS driver once delivered 12 expensive Fender guitars to me, instead of to my competitor up the street, never asked for a signature. BTW, I was standing at the curb having a smoke, no reason to think I was even an EMPLOYEE of ANY music store, but he was in a hurry, figured the long-haired guy standing in front of the music store must work there, I guess. Just stacked them on the curb and sped away. Luckily for him, I DID work there, and I called my competitor to alert him.

That being said, our new system will allow for FAR more customer choice - speed of delivery, delivery notes, "Signature Required" or not (with a waiver you can agree to that assumes responsibility, of course), etc... and the shipping prices will drop significantly, as well. I spoke briefly about it at the Bash banquet, and I know it's going to be VERY well accepted.

As we have several GARGANTUAN projects in the works, and even more coming soon, I'm just trying to find the best time to transition, as it may cause a significant hiccup due to time implementing it and training, as well.

Jer

I ordered concert tix from stubhub. FedEx sent me a notification that they were delivered but I had nothing. Called FedEx and they were ready to wipe their hands of it until I told them I have cameras recording every inch of property and can prove they were never delivered. As soon as I said that they changed their tune and did a full investigation. The next day I had my tickets and turns out they were delivered to my next door neighbor which I figured happened because I played back the footage and saw the truck stop there at the same time they were telling me my tickets were delivered. Took a $3k investment to get $400 tickets but still...

Don't you just love it when Jer says they are working on Gargantuan projects? His projects ALWAYS helps me stimulate the economy (much to my wife's chagrin). Oh well, as long as I can eat (maybe only Ramen noodles) and buy gas what else is there? :)

Understood, sorry to create a rant, but I had to vent. I understand why a signature is required, but it is a pain in the %$#^.

Your comments were rational and professional. I appreciate the communication, no apology necessary at ALL. Thank you! Jer

Don't you just love it when Jer says they are working on Gargantuan projects? His projects ALWAYS helps me stimulate the economy (much to my wife's chagrin). Oh well, as long as I can eat (maybe only Ramen noodles) and buy gas what else is there? :)

LOL... Thank you for your support! Jer

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BCherwin

when i was scrolling through the threads i saw this and said. "oh S&%$ , what did we do now " just kidding. we have a general rule of thumb in shipping, if its an expensive part , than were requiring a direct signature but we also like to think, " I wonder if this box gets stolen off a porch, does it have any eBay value" if yes. it gets a Sig .Usually its an adult signature or indirect signature, that way you know if your neighbor has signed for it or your teenage daughter forgot to tell you its in the kitchen. If it is something we know has value, then we would like you to sign yourself and not left on a porch for the career criminals. Remember, Jer is working on this and has been for sometime. We cant wait to implement some Awesome changes and give our customers more options. we know no one likes to drive to fed ex :peelout: when they dont have to. . _ Bill C. SPP Shipping

Archived