TEAM SHELBY FORUM

First Wax and cleaning - waxing over Stripes

Rodders

Hi Ladies and Gents,

I see on some of the other forums such as the Boss 302 a lot of topics regarding cleaning and waxing or not waxing the stripes, but the stripes on the Boss 302 are a different type than the Shelby as far as I can tell.

Have looked over this GT500 forum and didn't see a lot on the topic.

Have any of you appearance experts have any recommendations or product names to share, or any (bad) lessons learned for the rest of us to avoid. One question is should you or should you not wax these strips?

Thanks

I think the answer to your question depends on whether you have matte or gloss stripes. (Gloss ones can be waxed, but matte ones shouldn't.)

I use Adam's products to detail my car, and have found their SVRT to do an excellent job on my matte stripes. There's good advice and a great video (albeit product-specific) on the process available here.

Others have reported good results using 303 Aerospace Protectant on their stripes too.

Personally I would never wax stripes since wax has some abrasive qualities and/or can build up, especially on the stripe edges. I have used only a vinyl protectant such as the 303 mentioned above.

I always waxed over my stripes and never had one issue even the matte black ones that were on my 03 MACH 1 as a matter of fact it helped keep the stripes protected if any dirt that fell on them especially bird droppings which can be damage matte finished stripes pretty quick if you don't see it right away..sealer waxes don't have abrasives in them or at least not enough to make a difference..I use Wolfgang and Pinnacle products but in IMO all the new top waxes and polishes are great.

I think the answer to your question depends on whether you have matte or gloss stripes. (Gloss ones can be waxed, but matte ones shouldn't.)

I use Adam's products to detail my car, and have found their SVRT to do an excellent job on my matte stripes. There's good advice and a great video (albeit product-specific) on the process available here.

Others have reported good results using 303 Aerospace Protectant on their strips too.

+1

Personally I would never wax stripes since wax has some abrasive qualities and/or can build up, especially on the stripe edges. I have used only a vinyl protectant such as the 303 mentioned above.

Good wax does not contain any abrasives. Nor yellows using multiple coats.

• 2 weeks later...

i've been a zaino guy for my Vette but recently tried the Adams products based on reccomendations from the forum. VERY impressed, great stuff and the polishes and waxes don't leave the powdery residue Zaino did.

You're not the first Zaino convert... They call me Mr. Adams! B)

• 3 weeks later...

Just make sure the product contains no petroleum distillates!

My company had a vendor fair here a few months ago, and I was able to meet a chemist from Bridgestone. She over-emphasized the fact that protectants containing petroleum distillates speed up the destruction of rubber and vinyl products...especially tires. They had a model showing the effects on rubber exposed to sunlight, with and without products like Armor-All. It didnt look good!

Aerospace 303 is a great product, and contains no silicone oils or petroleum distillates. It leaves a nice matte finish, which I prefer over seeing the dash reflect in the windshield.

Just make sure the product contains no petroleum distillates!

My company had a vendor fair here a few months ago, and I was able to meet a chemist from Bridgestone. She over-emphasized the fact that protectants containing petroleum distillates speed up the destruction of rubber and vinyl products...especially tires. They had a model showing the effects on rubber exposed to sunlight, with and without products like Armor-All. It didnt look good!

Aerospace 303 is a great product, and contains no silicone oils or petroleum distillates. It leaves a nice matte finish, which I prefer over seeing the dash reflect in the windshield.

Yep silicone is BAD Do not use Armor All products Dries out rubber and vinyl.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I use Chemical Guys products also. Their Meticulous Matte detail spray is awesome for matte vinyl and matte paint. I used to buy nothing but Adams until I found out CG makes most of their products for them. Why pay the middleman when you can get it direct.

I used to buy nothing but Adams until I found out CG makes most of their products for them.

This is on often-repeated claim about which I've asked for proof many times. I have yet to receive it. Can you point me to anything that substantiates the claim?

I have a black stsv. That had massive micro scratches. Didn't have enough clear to buff it out tried liquid glass and they all disappeared.so been using it on Shelby as well. Easy to put put on and shines nice. Picking a cleaner polish et al is a religious eexperience I know I've had show cars for years but this works for me

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using Adam's products on my Shelby since I bought it based on recommendations from this forum and have loved them. a friend at work told me about wolfgang polish/sealant. I tried it on my Audi a few weeks ago and after 3 weeks and 2 massive rain storms, it still looks good. I used it on the Shelby this weekend and it looked amazing, very impressed with it. I found it on autogeek. http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-uber-all-in-one.html

Archived