TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Why was the GT350 designation not used?

Wayne  Grey

I'm taking my boots off because it's getting deep. this site is amazing! Wouldn't let anyone send a card to Carroll when he was in the Hospital - actually had to find that out on other sires that he was in a hospital - now a Shelby moniker has to be a guarded secret - I give up! As I said before EVERY other car site I belong to (MOPAR and Ford and for awhile Corvette) are all very happy to diseminate information. This will probably be my last year with Team Shelby - It's NOT a team.

Wow if seems that the only thing that might be harder to do than say "I don't know" (which Robert did) is to accept that he doesn't.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love my Shelby GT.......Im so glad I pulled the trigger and bought my first new car in my life in 2007.....after having rented a GT-H in Orlando on vacation with my wife.......ripping around town, whilst we were sitting at a red light...she said...."I wish we could bottle the smile on your face!".........well, we could....and in fact...we did!

race tracks

drag racing

the trip of our lives last year to Europe...

having been to 36 States (so far)..........

all behind the wheel of an incredible car......

someday I hope the story comes out.......I would love to hear it.......

and while a lot of dreams came true when thoser keys were slapped into my hand, and continue to...

its the people I met in the process, that have simply changed my life.

Thank you Carroll Shelby and Ford.

Shelby Forever!

Moseltov!

Guys,

As Robert alluded to its an interesting story that will come out at somepoint, just not today. In hindsight. these were internal decisions and need to be dealt with some diplomacy. I aplogize for disappointing anyone. The story will come out and when it does hopefully there will be some internal communications that can be shared with everyone.

Steve

Nothin' for Nothin' Steve the 08 Was the last Shelby GT don't you think that 6 years is long enough! Games Games and more games - If you can't see the absurdity in this I feel sorry for you and would ? your position. You said that you would tell but you wanted to listen to some of the guesses first - you were the second post I think - read what you said - does nobody there stand by their word?

This is a bigger secret than the formula for Coke or the recipe for Colonel Sanders chicken! :stirpot:

interesting you brought up Colonel Sanders. It relates to another story of Carroll after the titty bar, another one that can't be told.

I once asked a WWWII senior German official as to why the Messerschmidt ME-262 changed roles between offense/defense.

I watch a LOT on The Military Channel.

Hitler made the decision to change the 262's role when Germany started getting their Fatherland bombed.

Phill

Wow if seems that the only thing that might be harder to do than say "I don't know" (which Robert did) is to accept that he doesn't.

SERIOUSLY!

I can't believe people can't just take the fact, that the fact can't/won't be told (at least by Robert)!

Phill

Sorry Phill but I don't see where the GT or GT350 has anything to do with your car. I, for one, like to be able to explain my car to the best of my ability and this is a sticking point for ALL SHELBY GT owners. Maybe you don't care to explain your car and all that you HAVE done to it - Oh I bet that's different isn't it!

Nothin' for Nothin' Steve the 08 Was the last Shelby GT don't you think that 6 years is long enough! Games Games and more games - If you can't see the absurdity in this I feel sorry for you and would ? your position. You said that you would tell but you wanted to listen to some of the guesses first - you were the second post I think - read what you said - does nobody there stand by their word?

Wow, I guess an apology isn't enough for some. And no need to feel "sorry" for me.

Releasing/discussing internal business plans can be tricky, what seemed like something that could be discussed at one point turned out to be something that is best left for another time.

Steve

Sorry Phill but I don't see where the GT or GT350 has anything to do with your car. I, for one, like to be able to explain my car to the best of my ability and this is a sticking point for ALL SHELBY GT owners. Maybe you don't care to explain your car and all that you HAVE done to it - Oh I bet that's different isn't it!

NOPE!

I "don't care explain my car and all that (I) HAVE done to it"

What's that got to do with the price of white rice in China?

Robert said he can't give the answer and everyone is having a hissy fit over it.

I say, GET OVER IT. If he can't, or wont...HE CAN'T (or won't)!

Sheesh,

Phill

I need to know. This is America, everyone gets what they want, and a trophy no?

YEAH! Dangnabbit.

Phill

Trying to build up your post numbers Phill? Get a life or do it on a GT500 question.

Oh, gee, sorry about that "Chief". I didn't know this was YOUR forum.

Who died and made you the grand poobah?

I didn't realize your TOS says that you (I) can't comment on a subject if you don't own the specific vehicle of topic.

Does that go for YOU too?

Phill

Don't act like you know me - Calling names has never been my style - too old to play that game - but by all means Phill continue with it if it makes you happy - cause when you're happy - i'm happy.

I didn't realize your TOS says that you (I) can't comment on a subject if you don't own the specific vehicle of topic.

Bummer. I guess I can never post again lol.

And come on, some people make several posts in a row with just smiley faces lol. Thats post grubbing at its finest.

But don't get grumpy with old age. Save the hate for people who deserve it, they are everywhere.

Don't act like you know me - Calling names has never been my style - too old to play that game - but by all means Phill continue with it if it makes you happy - cause when you're happy - i'm happy.

????????????

Are you drunk again?

Phill

In the meantime, just accept my answer as the best-guess solution:

"Seems obvious to me: when SA cooked up the S (not yet named GT) Mr Shelby took a test drive and said, 'Hey, nice car, but not good enough for the '350' name. I'm sure we'll eventually come up with something that will actually merit such a prestigious designation. It may take a while, but this one ain't it!'"

WHAT CARROL SHELBY ACTUALLY SAID!

Carroll Shelby and the first production 2007 Ford Shelby GT

LAS VEGAS, Dec.22, 2006 – The first Ford Shelby GT CSM No. 07SGT0001 will fire up its engine and drive out of the Shelby Automobiles build center in Las Vegas in celebration of the start of production of the third model in the modern Ford Shelby Mustang portfolio. The Shelby GT features a 4.6-liter V-8, classic Shelby design cues, and performance modifications and will be priced at $36,970 MSRP including applicable taxes and destination and delivery.

“I couldn’t be more excited to see production up and running on a new Shelby Mustang,” says Carroll Shelby, CEO and Chairman of Shelby Automobiles, Inc. “The new Shelby GT is a great addition to the Shelby GT500 and Shelby GT-H, and it will only further the lead that Mustang has in the coming muscle car wars.”

The Shelby GT is the third modern Shelby Mustang produced through a collaboration of Ford and Carroll Shelby. In addition to the 2007 Shelby GT500, Ford and Shelby created 500 copies of the Ford Shelby GT-H, which are available to rent through select Hertz rental centers.

The Shelby GT joining the Ford line-up is the result of customers and dealers demanding a retail version of the Shelby GT-H. Ford and Shelby Automobiles were able to capitalize on much of the development work that was done on the Shelby GT-H, and put together a ‘Go Fast’ production program delivering the Shelby GT in six months.

“The Shelby GT500 has been a huge success, but we have been overwhelmed at the number of people who want to buy a retail version of the Shelby GT-H,” continues Shelby. “The Shelby GT will perfectly compliment the GT500, just like the original GT350 and GT500 did back in the 60’s.”

This is good, and I like the other speculation by Frank S, so now the question is, why did they name the GT350 the GT350? B)

That question is answered very early in this thread. Probably about page 1.

I for one posted the answer.

Phill

OK,thanks, waiting for the 5.0 Coyote engine to be introduced makes sense.

I remember hearing Shelby saying *that* in interviews too...About the NEW GT350, not about the original one.

Phill

I remember hearing Shelby saying *that* in interviews too...About the NEW GT350, not about the original one.

Phill

Actually I was speaking of the new one, not the original, I have heard all the shop distance stories about that for 45 years or so...... B)

Wayne,

The GT350 name is obviously extremely powerful. Ford is stating that it will be used on the Mustang from Ford in 2016. Heck, it's pretty unclear at this point if it will be a Shelby GT350, or a Ford GT350. Lots going on with that. Obviously lots of legal issues there. Look at what happened in 1984 when Ford used the GT350. Obviously there are legal agreements, etc. on how and when it will be used, and by whom. Anything written on a forum has a footprint of forever. There could be legal ramifications of saying things that shouldn't be said. There are some previous employees who were part of these conversations that signed pretty long standing nondisclosure agreements. Current employees can also get in hot water for saying things that can bite them in the butt with their jobs or legally. I doubt that you would take that chance with your job. This may be just a story to you, which you feel that you have a right to know right now, but clearly there are reasons it is not being told right now. 6 years is apparently not enough yet. Just enjoy the car and the mystery of the name, it will come out when it can be told I have no doubt. I think it adds to what the Shelby GT-H and Shelby GT are all about. Remember, these cars were the first Shelby production Mustangs to come out of Shelby American in a long, long time. This all happened extremely quickly in the automotive world. There are good reasons for all of this.

Archived