TEAM SHELBY FORUM

13-14 Fabricated Aluminium Coolant Tanks?

hirevn

Are there coolant expansion tanks in the works to fit the new 13-14 cars? I really want to go with fabricated Aluminum tanks under the hood and was going to order a pair from SPP but while doing some research i found things were changed around on the new cars and these wont fit.

HELLO! The short version is that we have the tanks made to fit OUR factory mods (GT350, Super Snake), so fitment on a stock car MAY be a bigger issue. Send me an email at JerG@ShelbyAmerican.com.

Jer

Jer

I sent you an email discussing the Shelby Billet Aluminum Intercooler and Radiator Overflow Tanks that I ordered from SPP that I was told would fit my 2013 GT500. The short version is that the Billet Aluminum Intercooler Tank looks like it will work just fine. However, the Billet Aluminum Radiator Tank is a different story regarding the connections which are significantly different than the factory OEM tank connections.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Jim

Thanks for the emails, Jim - nice speaking with you, looking forward to meeting you and your wife!

Jer

Jer

I sent you an email discussing the Shelby Billet Aluminum Intercooler and Radiator Overflow Tanks that I ordered from SPP that I was told would fit my 2013 GT500. The short version is that the Billet Aluminum Intercooler Tank looks like it will work just fine. However, the Billet Aluminum Radiator Tank is a different story regarding the connections which are significantly different than the factory OEM tank connections.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Jim

So the Intercooler tank is the same, we just need a 13/14 specific raidiator overflow tank?

• 4 weeks later...

2013 and 2014(?) GT 500 Owners -- the SPP Shelby Billet Reservoir Tanks (SPP Part Number: Z12-S11M-8080) DO in fact work on a 2013 GT500 and 99% sure on a 2014 GT500. I'm told there were no changes to the 2013 GT500, so without having seen one, I'd say these tanks will work on a 2014 too.

I had several emails and a couple calls with Jer Gervasi (VP, SPP) and he spoke with the SA Techs who build the GT350s and Super Snakes where these tanks are used. Additionally, in my analysis, the Shelby Billet Intercooler Reservoir Tank is a 100% direct replacement and the connections and hoses are EXACTLY the same as with the OEM Tank and installs using the OEM hardware -- the only difference is in size -- the Shelby Billet Tank is a bit larger, but looks a helluva lot better.

The Shelby Billet Radiator Reservoir Tank is a different topic. This is what I had several discussions with Jer about. First, the Shelby Billet Radiator Reservoir Tank WILL work, but it requires a little more work and desire to get it together. The hose connections are different than the OEM Stock Radiator Reservoir Tank which is a very small tank. The Shelby Billet Radiator Reservoir Tank is about 2 to 3 times larger, and the hose connections are very different. This is explained in the attached document I put together after installing my tanks. Review the document and let me know if you have questions.

Regards,

Jim

Team Shelby Member: holtzja

===================

Shelby Extreme Coolant Reservoir Tanks – Installation on a 2013 GT500

Product Code: Z12-S11M-8080

From the Shelby Performance Parts Webpage: Our 2-piece coolant reservoir tank complements the Shelby extreme duty radiator and heat exchanger. Each reservoir is hand made from the highest quality aluminum available and come in either natural or black anodized finish.

http://www.shelbysto...2-s11m-8080.htm

The Engine Coolant Reservoir comes with a laser etched Shelby Logo. Additionally, Shelby is first to market with a complete package of engine bay reservoirs, Engine Coolant Overflow, Higher capacity and Higher flow Supercharger Reservoir that accept the factory cap fitment. This means that you can retain your Billet Aluminum Shelby Engine Caps.*

Applications: 2011-2012 Shelby GT500 (Should be updated to be 2013 GT500)

Installation Instructions: Installed by Jim Holtzclaw on 2013 GT500, 16 June 2013.

Information and Notes – Installing Shelby Extreme Coolant Reservoir Tanks on 2013 GT500.

1. The New Billet Reservoir Tank that replaces the OEM Reservoir Intercooler Tank is a direct replacement for the OEM Tank. The hose connections are exactly the same.

2. The New Billet Reservoir Tank that replaces the OEM Reservoir Radiator Tank is different – it is a much larger tank and the hose connections are different. The top hose connection on the New Billet Tank points at a 45 degree angle towards the passenger side of the engine bay; the OEM Reservoir Radiator tank top hose connection points directly to the right side of the car parallel with the radiator. The bottom hose connection points down toward the ground, while the OEM Reservoir Radiator Tank bottom hose connection points directly to the left side of the car parallel with the radiator.

3. In talking to Shelby American Technicians, when they install the New Billet Radiator Tank, they do NOT plumb the tank the same way as the OEM tank is configured. The OEM Radiator Tank has a “Spider” Hose that basically is hose with a “T” connection at each end; one end of the “T” on each end connects to the tank (top and bottom hose connections) and the other ends of the “T” connect to the engine connection, and the other end connects to the water pump. See the picture below:

OEM Radiator Reservoir Tank Spider Hose

4. When Shelby American Technicians install these tanks, they eliminate the Spider Hose and thereby the “bypass” of the Radiator Reservoir Tank. The Shelby American Technicians connect the New Billet Radiator Reservoir Tank directly. The New Billet Radiator Reservoir Tank upper hose connects directly to the engine; the lower hose connects directly to the water pump.

5. For these hoses, I examined the shape and bends for the hose I needed (taking notes) and went to a local auto parts store and bought several hoses of the approximate bends for these connections. The connection from the upper hose was a hose in the shape of a “Soft S” approximately 8 inches in length. The connection from the lower hose was a “U-shape with an upward bend;” the upward bend connected to the bottom of the tank and the end of the “U” connected to the water pump. This hose was about 10 inches in length.

6. In the event you cannot locate hoses with the correct bend, you can use straight hose with Goodyear “E-Z Coil” hose benders to help shape straight hose into the proper shapes. See picture below:

Goodyear E Z Coil

(Note: in picture above, Size 5/8” is shown as example. Be sure to get the proper size for the hose that you are ‘shaping.’ I recommend that you try and find a pre-bent hose that will work rather than using this method.)

7. See my detailed steps for installation below.

Installation Steps for installing Shelby Extreme Coolant Reservoir Tanks on 2013 GT500:

1. Siphon the fluid in both the OEM Radiator and Intercooler Reservoir Tanks to minimize spillage of fluids.

2. Remove Air Filter and Air Filter Box to make working room for the Radiator Reservoir Tank. Be careful with the Air Filter Box Sensor Electrical connections. Disconnect carefully and set the Air Box and the Air Inflow Tube aside.

3. OEM Intercooler Reservoir Tank. Carefully disconnect the OEM upper and lower hose connections. Remove the two bolts holding the OEM Tank in place and set them aside – they will be reused. Connect the upper and lower hoses on the New Intercooler Billet Reservoir Tanks and secure the connections. Install the New Billet Reservoir Tank in the OEM Tank mounting location using the two OEM bolts.

4. OEM Radiator Reservoir Tank. Carefully remove the one bolt that holds the tank in place – set it aside to be used again. Remove the upper hose from the OEM Tank. Lift the tank up and remove the lower hose connection. Disconnect the “Spider” hose from the Engine connection and the water pump connection. Set this hose aside – it will not be reused.

5. Using either the E-Z Coil and straight hose (see notes above) or the “U-shape with an upward bend,” connect the “upward bend end” to the bottom of the New Billet Radiator Reservoir Tank. Then run the U-shape end of the hose around the other hoses and connect it to the water pump end. Make sure the hose is not kinked and that it will allow proper water flow when in operation. Secure the hose connections. Then secure the tank in place using the OEM tank bolt.

6. Using the “Soft S” hose, connect one end to the New Billet Radiator Reservoir Tank upper hose connection. Connect the other end to the engine. Secure the new hose using clamps.

7. Reinstall Air Box inflow tube and Air Box. Reconnect the Air Filter, making sure to carefully reconnect the wiring connections and wiring harness holders in the same places on the engine and the bottom of the air box.

8. Refill both Reservoir Tanks with 50% Coolant/50% Water mixture per manufacturers specifications to between one-half to three-fourths of the way full. I recommend using Ford Orange Coolant. Replace the tank tops and tighten until you hear the ‘pop.’

9. Crank and run the vehicle about 10 minutes to make sure the coolant flows and any air bubbles are pushed out of the system. Allow the vehicle to cool for 20 minutes, and carefully remove the tank tops (allowing them to pressure release slowly) and check the fluid levels in both tanks. Add fluid as needed to no more than three-fourths of the way full for each tank.

A couple more pictures:

This is the Top Hose of the Shelby Billet Radiator Reservoir Tank going from the tank to the front of the engine:

Billet Radiator Reservoir Tank Upper Hose To Engine

This is the Bottom Hose of the Shelby Billet Reservoir Tank going from the pump to the downward pointing bottom tank connection. The clamp is the hose connection to the pump:

Billet Radiator Reservoir Tank Lower Hose To Pump

The content is there below my name. The pictures of the Spider hose and the Goodyear E-Z Coil Hose shaper are not coming through and I cannot attach a photo separately.

Jim

Thanks for the great write up on this, if only we could get SPP to come up with a hose kit for the raidaitor tank and we would be all set. Would love to see the pics of the hoses you found that worked for you, would make finding some much easier. You dont have part numbers off the hoses that you found do you?

Again, thanks for the write up!

I will try and get a couple pictures over the next week or so -- will probably require me to remove the air box again to get the New Radiator Reservoir Tank bottom hose -- there are a couple other hoses and it sits below the air box. I ended up drawing what I thought I needed and then going to the Auto Parts store and buying 3 slightly different hoses and then try and fitting the closest one. The E-Z Coil will work, but not the solution I chose.

I agree that it would be a lot easier if the new tanks came with two new hoses to make the installation perfect.

Glad to share my experience.

Jim

Thanks for the great write up on this, if only we could get SPP to come up with a hose kit for the raidaitor tank and we would be all set. Would love to see the pics of the hoses you found that worked for you, would make finding some much easier. You dont have part numbers off the hoses that you found do you?

Again, thanks for the write up!

I added a couple more pictures to my instructions.

• 1 month later...

Archived