TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I'm surprised we haven't seen this sooner................

I just sent the seller a message asking him if he realizes the signature is "auto-pen" and therefore not an original from Mr. Shelby. Still very nice, and foks would want it...but not original.

We will see how he responds.

I just sent the seller a message asking him if he realizes the signature is "auto-pen" and therefore not an original from Mr. Shelby. Still very nice, and foks would want it...but not original.

We will see how he responds.

Yep, I sent him one to.

Just curious, but how can you tell it is auto pen ?

Along with the Shelby Foundation certificate showing that this is a commerative signature provided by the Foundation. The Shelby Foundation website also clearly states these are simulated signatures produced by an auto-pen.

Besides the fact that this commerative signature program came about after Shelby's passing. Hard to believe that this ebay seller knows how to obatain a Shelby Cobra part, knows how to contact the Foundation, knows how to sell on ebay but doesn't know that Carroll is no longer with us.

Not buying it.

Steve

I purchased my signed dash plaque, with inscribed VIN number and certificate of authenticity direct from Shelby about 5 years ago shortly after I bought my 2008GT500. Is it safe to assume that the signature (looks like it was done with a black "sharpie") is authentic and original? This is one of the most unique things about the car for me.

I purchased my signed dash plaque, with inscribed VIN number and certificate of authenticity direct from Shelby about 5 years ago shortly after I bought my 2008GT500. Is it safe to assume that the signature (looks like it was done with a black "sharpie") is authentic and original? This is one of the most unique things about the car for me.

Yes you purchased your plaque from a trusted source, Shelby American, along with recieving a COA with your plaque.

Steve

Just curious, but how can you tell it is auto pen ?

Not to mention, look at the outside edges of the signature. If you look closely, they are very "Etch-A-Sketch"-ey. Up, right, up, right, up, right with machine precision. This wouldn't be easy with a human hand.

As already reported, if there are THREE "hash marks" though the underline, it's a Autopen sig (see the e-bay link & photo).

If there are two hash marks, it is POTENTIALLY a genuine item. I say 'potentially' because there have been quite a few 'suspicious' "authentic" CS signed items showing up on e-bay lately.

Some of them with a COA...but ALSO 'suspicious' looking (IMO, photocopies, IIRC)

Fact is, if it was signed after May 2012, it CAN'T be genuine.

Phill

Not to mention, look at the outside edges of the signature. If you look closely, they are very "Etch-A-Sketch"-ey. Up, right, up, right, up, right with machine precision. This wouldn't be easy with a human hand.

I thought the 'etch a sketch' line I was seeing was due to a less than high-res photo he posted with his listing.

Can someone who has seen an auto-pen signature wiht their own eyes tell me if it looks smooth or jagged?

That would certainly be a consideration if I was going to purchase a 'tribute' signature.

Z-man

I thought the 'etch a sketch' line I was seeing was due to a less than high-res photo he posted with his listing.

Can someone who has seen an auto-pen signature wiht their own eyes tell me if it looks smooth or jagged?

That would certainly be a consideration if I was going to purchase a 'tribute' signature.

Z-man

The auto-pen commerative signature should not have an "Etch-A-Sketch" look to it. In this particular case I believe its the camera angle or the low ebay resolution causing that "Etch-A-Sketch" look. If by chance the visor actually does have this "Etch-A-Sketch" look then I would attirbute that to possibly the paint from the paint pen not adhering to the plexiglass.

My belief is that this ebay item is a genuine commemorative Shelby autograph, its just that seller didn't list it that way.

Steve

Archived