TEAM SHELBY FORUM

OMG!!! What a massive difference in Shifter.....

gotoatz

I did this easy mod a couple nights ago. I have nothing to add other than the photos are 100% accurate. Very easy to do. I used a Sickspeed shift boot adapter because it is similar in appearance to the stock version that is attached to the stock knob.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200845145911?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I picked up a jam nut adapter kit from Speed Dawg because it is only a few bucks more than just buying the 12x1.25 jam nut/adapter for the knob.

I have the Grabber Blue Shift Knob from SAI and it is much better than the stock knob. I have had it on since they first came out, so I just needed to change the adapter and reuse the knob. For about 60 bucks and 10-15 minutes of your time, this is a quick and easy mod if you aren't planning to change out the shifter in the short term.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phil,

I believe I probably saw one of your advice threads, that convinced me to take this approach. It is SO easy this way. The factory ball had red loctite in it. But by using the 18 inch persuader, it was like a hot knife cutting through butter.....Thank you for the good advice.

I had a chance to drive the Cobra a bit today, and even got in some spirited runs from 0 to 100. I simply cannot believe how much better the shifter is now. Makes driving so much more enjoyable and accurate. The shift is now the flick of the wrist, and no hunting for third gear.... The way I was looking at it was, even if I changed out the entire shifter, I would have switched to the new Shelby shift ball and retainer regardless. So, the worst outcome would have been wasting 42 bucks for the straight Hurst stalk. But a it turns out, it was actually a savings of about 300 plus dollars to avoid the new shifter.

I still plan to replace the shift boot with a Redline boot with white racing stripes. They will also custom make the boot for a lower profile short shifter, which will work very well on this application.......

Mike

I started looking at the Redline stuff also. When do you plan on getting the Shift boot? When you do please post some pics and a install write up. I just saw today that they came out with a armrest cover too.

I started looking at the Redline stuff also. When do you plan on getting the Shift boot? When you do please post some pics and a install write up. I just saw today that they came out with a armrest cover too.

Have not ordered yet.....But I will post up when I do....This is another place that has awesome products at great prices.

http://www.amustangrocksleather.com/

I love their 2010 up center armrest cover. Very nice. Only problem I see, is that they do not offer the shift boot with dual racing stripes. I want to match my seats and shift knob.....

Mike

I would really like to perform this mod. However, I want to keep the existing/stock shift knob and boot.

Does anyone know the correct mix of parts to make this happen?

I haven’t been able to find a stick or adapter with the stock thread.

Really not much different as looks go, but it sure feels better. I did the mod on Monday, and was able to drive it yesterday. Thanks again for the write up! :)

mg6910.jpg

Awesome!! Looks excellent. I almost did Grabber Blue, but stayed with the black with white theme of the interior seats.......Very nice!!!

Mike

Have not ordered yet.....But I will post up when I do....This is another place that has awesome products at great prices.

http://www.amustangrocksleather.com/

I love their 2010 up center armrest cover. Very nice. Only problem I see, is that they do not offer the shift boot with dual racing stripes. I want to match my seats and shift knob.....

Mike

I've been talking to Redline Goods about an armrest with white stripes. I'm thinking about white stripes with charcoal leather and Alcantara on the sides. You know to match the seats. I've sent them a bunch of pictures of my interior and a Photoshop example. I hope it turns out well.

I've been talking to Redline Goods about an armrest with white stripes. I'm thinking about white stripes with charcoal leather and Alcantara on the sides. You know to match the seats. I've sent them a bunch of pictures of my interior and a Photoshop example. I hope it turns out well.

Please keep me posted......

Finally got a chance to install the Hurst shift rod. Of course it's pouring outside at the moment so I can't take her out to see how the update feels, but sitting in the garage making vroom vroom noises while working through the gearbox feels much better than stock. Just from feel for me I'd like an offset in between stock and this straight stick, but I'll give that up for the much better positive feel.

9001084750_ccb863f8a3.jpg

IMG_1191 by nshttpd, on Flickr

-steve

Completed this mod tonight. Very strait forward, thanks to great instructions from gotoatz and several others. Took about 45 minutes, most of which was using a strap wrench to get the old knob off.

Console comes up much easier than I thought (It helped to check a YouTube video of a Mustang shifter install beforehand).

Went with the Black w/white stripes to match the seats, although I was tempted to go with Kona Blue\White. The shift knob is slightly bigger than stock (from TwistedShifterz on eBay) and feels great.

Shifting is much 'crisper' now, with a noticeable 'click' when getting into gear. No more spongy feeling. I really like the position of the handle and that it is noticeably shorter than stock. Overall, well worth the $115 investment.

130615 0214 Web

Completed this mod tonight. Very strait forward, thanks to great instructions from gotoatz and several others. Took about 45 minutes, most of which was using a strap wrench to get the old knob off.

Console comes up much easier than I thought (It helped to check a YouTube video of a Mustang shifter install beforehand).

Went with the Black w/white stripes to match the seats, although I was tempted to go with Kona Blue\White. The shift knob is slightly bigger than stock (from TwistedShifterz on eBay) and feels great.

Shifting is much 'crisper' now, with a noticeable 'click' when getting into gear. No more spongy feeling. I really like the position of the handle and that it is noticeably shorter than stock. Overall, well worth the $115 investment.

Awesome!! Glad you too like the mod. Congrats!

Mike

Heh, I probably looked at the same video to figure out how to remove the center console.

Question though, what position is your shifter positioned in for your picture? Mine is in neutral and is sitting farther back that what yours looks like. I'm hoping yours is sitting in 1,3 or 5.

-steve

Heh, I probably looked at the same video to figure out how to remove the center console.

Question though, what position is your shifter positioned in for your picture? Mine is in neutral and is sitting farther back that what yours looks like. I'm hoping yours is sitting in 1,3 or 5.

-steve

Hi Steve

I believe I was in 3rd gear for that picture. Based on your picture above, mine looks the same in neutral.

This was the video I used to get confortable removing the center console:

(up to 2:30).

Do you notice additional vibration/noise? I'm noticing a difference, especially when I grab the shift knob, just before or after I shift gears. It's a light grinding sound, which I believe is some additional vibration getting transferred up the handle. It seems to go away when I take my hand off the shifter. I dont think it's a big deal, but it is noticeable.

Barry

Hi Steve

I believe I was in 3rd gear for that picture. Based on your picture above, mine looks the same in neutral.

This was the video I used to get confortable removing the center console:

(up to 2:30).

Do you notice additional vibration/noise? I'm noticing a difference, especially when I grab the shift knob, just before or after I shift gears. It's a light grinding sound, which I believe is some additional vibration getting transferred up the handle. It seems to go away when I take my hand off the shifter. I dont think it's a big deal, but it is noticeable.

Barry

Ah, I used this video

.. I was actually surprised how easily it came out compared to all the things I have to do removing the console on my Ram 1500.

I haven't noticed any additional noise. A little more vibration being transferred through since all those rubber bushings are now removed, but no additional noise. Mine is a 2012 GT500 and around 5200 miles or so. It's not a daily driver. Then again this if my first manual car in a looooooooooong time. Most all of my shifting is usually accomplished by my left foot.

I'm glad that's third gear I was starting to worry that I did something really wrong.

-steve

• 2 weeks later...

Man they still use the same setup as my foxbodys had LOL. Actually looks like more rubber. A cheap mod on a foxbody back in the day was to swap out the handle or I would keep the stock handle and add solid bushings in it and mount it back in. Nice writeup! I may change just the handle on mine to save me some $$ right off. I am just undecided on a knob. I kinda like the size of the stock one.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well I finally did it! I read this entire thread, thought about it for about 2.5 seconds and made pulled the trigger.

Everything arrived this week and tonight I figured give the factory ball removal a try with a good old fashion leather belt.

WOW how that didn't work! So off to removing the entire rod with the ball and putting it in my vise like the OP mentioned.

I am on the fence though about using black gap extender or whatever they call it. I really like the the metal look of the original post.

Need to go back through and read this thread again to see if that is possible to use the stock rod extender. I will post pics when the project is all done.

Well I finally did it! I read this entire thread, thought about it for about 2.5 seconds and made pulled the trigger.

Everything arrived this week and tonight I figured give the factory ball removal a try with a good old fashion leather belt.

WOW how that didn't work! So off to removing the entire rod with the ball and putting it in my vise like the OP mentioned.

I am on the fence though about using black gap extender or whatever they call it. I really like the the metal look of the original post.

Need to go back through and read this thread again to see if that is possible to use the stock rod extender. I will post pics when the project is all done.

Good luck with the project. Love to see pics when complete. I believe you are referring to the black boot retainer, vs. the stock brushed boot retainer? I think you will find the stock one is part of the shift ball....But, you can in fact purchased a brushed, or clear anodized, boot retainer from Shelby instead of the black......

Good luck,

Mike

http://www.shelbystore.com/Shelby-GT500-Shift-Boot-Retainer-p/s10m-7a210-u.htm

• 3 weeks later...

I am glad I stumbled on to this thread!

I just traded my '08 in on an '11.

I been having a heck of a time with the shifter in this car. I thought it was because I had an MGW shifter in my '08 and any stock shifter will feel like crap after that. LOL

I will be doing this mod very soon!

A new knob is already on it's way from Shelby. I just need to decide if I want the retro chrome look or the factory look.

Thanks for the excellent posts!

I've been looking all over for that stick. I can't find one.

So gotoatz, do you have a secret supplier? LOL

Try eBay...http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hurst-5-Short-Shifter-Stick-for-2007-Mustang-GT500-12mm-x-1-25-threads-2010-/281157689819?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item41764de1db&vxp=mtr

or search for Hurst 5" Short Shifter Stick for 2007+ Mustang GT500

I've been looking all over for that stick. I can't find one.

So gotoatz, do you have a secret supplier? LOL

LOL...As Barspen noted above, i used the E Bay vendor he linked for you. Core Shifters.......

Mike

LOL...As Barspen noted above, i used the E Bay vendor he linked for you. Core Shifters.......

Mike

Thank you so very much!!!

You guys have been most helpful.

I decided to make this upgrade also - added the FRPP Shifter handle and SPP Shifter Ball. Looks much better than stock and the shifts are now firmer - this is a nice and inexpensive upgrade!

shifter2a_zps51ae4be7.jpg

Looks great. Where did you get the FRPP shifter handle and does it come with a new grommet for the boot or did you get a grommet from elsewhere? I would like to do this to my '08 also before going the entire shifter route. Was it a noticeable upgrade for your car?

Archived