TEAM SHELBY FORUM

OMG!!! What a massive difference in Shifter.....

gotoatz

What length lever did you use there Cdvision?

I'm not sure of the exact lenght...but it is approx. 1 inch taller than the one Mike used. I love the vintage Hurst look!!

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I decided the try the Billett Pro shift handle with the blue/white shift ball and it arrived yesterday. It's an extremely nice piece. I got it bolted to the shfter but didn't get the modified shift boot yet so I couldn't take the car for a ride. But just sitting in the garage you can definitely feel the more precise bolt action rifle feeling of the shifter compared to the sloppy stock handle. Thanks gotoatz for the idea of swapping the handle for better shifts!

I decided the try the Billett Pro shift handle with the blue/white shift ball and it arrived yesterday. It's an extremely nice piece. I got it bolted to the shfter but didn't get the modified shift boot yet so I couldn't take the car for a ride. But just sitting in the garage you can definitely feel the more precise bolt action rifle feeling of the shifter compared to the sloppy stock handle. Thanks gotoatz for the idea of swapping the handle for better shifts!

:happy feet: :happy feet:

We need pics........ :camera:

Supposedly the hurst that I ordered will be here next week for my '12 GT500. Going to try the @gotoatz route and see if that helps the shifting feel more solid on the thing. Only problem is that I'm off racing so I won't be able to jump in and install it over the weekend and have to wait until the following weekend to get it setup.

-steve

Cdivision- What part # from Hurst is that lever? Also, what about the boot from Roush? I absolutely love that look you have- even the knob is what I'd like to get. Were you able to measure the height difference between the stock lever and your new Hurst lever? Looks like it is a bit longer than stock, or is it the same? Did you use a knob from SpeedDawg.com? Any kind of adapter or modification needed to make the knob and Hurst threads match up? Any bushings needed for the mounting bolts? Re-use factory bolts or did you buy new ones? Any help/tips you could give regarding your set up would be appreciated!!

Cdivision- What part # from Hurst is that lever? Also, what about the boot from Roush? I absolutely love that look you have- even the knob is what I'd like to get. Were you able to measure the height difference between the stock lever and your new Hurst lever? Looks like it is a bit longer than stock, or is it the same? Did you use a knob from SpeedDawg.com? Any kind of adapter or modification needed to make the knob and Hurst threads match up? Any bushings needed for the mounting bolts? Re-use factory bolts or did you buy new ones? Any help/tips you could give regarding your set up would be appreciated!!

All the info is in my thread from a few months ago...part#, source etc.http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/79779-hurst-shifter-lever-installed/page__hl__%2Bhurst+%2Bshift+%2Blever

It wasn't his idea. I posted a similar thread a few months back and I copied the idea from a thread I saw on SVT Forum a couple years ago. But gotoatz did do a very nice write up.

It appears there is some sort of fitment piece or adapter to make a tight fit between the lever and the boot opening- maybe hard plastic or rubber??

The Hurst lever comes with the rubber grommet. I ended up using this knob with the 3/8-16 adapter incert.http://www.ebay.com/...43283ef&vxp=mtr

It wasn't his idea. I posted a similar thread a few months back and I copied the idea from a thread I saw on SVT Forum a couple years ago. But gotoatz did do a very nice write up.

Absolutely correct. I have only been around a couple of months, and saw several postings, including Cdvision's on this subject. The whole shifter thing really irritated me to no end having just gotten the car. So, I decided it would be the first thing I would act on. I guess I WAS a bit surprised that others have not followed some very sound advice prior on this subject, from changing the handle, to the easy way to remove the welded on shift ball, etc......

Sometimes just seeing someone illustrate the steps in photos helps. I know it really helps me. I think this is a VERY inexpensive mod to do, that pays big dividends. Hopefully others will feel the same way.....

Cheers,

Mike

And this addition today doesn't hurt the appearance of the new shifter..... :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

dash3_zpsbc629c4d.jpg

Looks great. I put one in my '09. After seeing your pic, I just ordered one for my '11 to replace the crappy, plastic, signed one that the previous owner paid $350 for......

Man, you guys were so right about the drastic improvement a new shift handle makes. It really feels like an aftermarket short throw shifter now. I'm impressed. This is the billet Pro Shop handle. With the radio off, there is no more sound or vibration than the stock handle. The shifts feel "bolt action rifle" exact now. Excellent mod!

post-29597-0-85442600-1369574802_thumb.jpg

post-29597-0-68789600-1369574812_thumb.jpg

post-29597-0-85442600-1369574802_thumb.jpg

post-29597-0-68789600-1369574812_thumb.jpg

Man, you guys were so right about the drastic improvement a new shift handle makes. It really feels like an aftermarket short throw shifter now. I'm impressed. This is the billet Pro Shop handle. With the radio off, there is no more sound or vibration than the stock handle. The shifts feel "bolt action rifle" exact now. Excellent mod!

Congrats!! Rather amazing how big a difference this inexpensive mod makes, isn't it? Yours came out looking great!! As I had said before, this is the kind of shifting these cars should have from the factory....you can now actually tell you have a short throw shifter installed. It adds to the overall driving experience in a very positive way.......

Nice going!

Mike

Its a shame that the engineers couldnt get it right. Geez I have 30+ year technology that has worked flawlessly. You would think a new vehicle would shift better than an ancient factory Hurst shifter on a Borg warner T-10.

Is the boot retaining ring an extra purchse or did it come with the shifter/knob purchase? I have just purchased the same knob and shifter to be modified on my return from Persian Gulf in 1 month. Want to make sure I don't need anything else before getting home.

Which shift lever would you guys recommend at this point: The Shelby lever currently on sale for $40 or the Hurst?

Which shift lever would you guys recommend at this point: The Shelby lever currently on sale for $40 or the Hurst?

Cannot say for sure for your 09, since it bolts front to back instead of side to side like the 11 does. However, I will say in looking at the Shelby shift lever that is on sale, it STILL has a rubber bushing around the shift handle, albeit a different material. In my opinion, it is the rubber or whatever bushing that lends to the mushy feel of the shifter. If it were me, I would go with a direct bolt on, that eliminates the bushing......But that's just me......

Good Luck,

Mike

I would be interested in hearing about options for the 2009, I like the look of the Hurst but it looks like they only offer '10 and above. FRPP has one but it come with shifter ball for around $150, I would like to use the SPP SS ball for mine so only need the handle. I don't like the looks of the one currently on sale from Shelby.

I would be interested in hearing about options for the 2009, I like the look of the Hurst but it looks like they only offer '10 and above. FRPP has one but it come with shifter ball for around $150, I would like to use the SPP SS ball for mine so only need the handle. I don't like the looks of the one currently on sale from Shelby.

Well, as Crushinator noted above, perhaps look at one of the options from Pro Billit Shop....Pricey, but nice looking........

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-AFTERMARKET-2007-2009-Shelby-GT500-T-304-Handle-Knob-/290650507323?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43ac1ec83b&vxp=mtr#ht_622wt_1009

After reading this thread im gonna give this a try. I do have a question though. Is there a reason i missed for having to change out shifter boots? This is for a 2010 by the way.

Depends upon what shift stick you use. If you look back on the first post in this thread, you will see that I used a Hurst straight stick shorty handle. I did not change shift boots. I bought the shift boot retainer from Shelby, along with the new shift ball, but used the stock boot....

Now, if you decide to go with a classic Hurst flat handle, such as Cdvision shows, then you need to change the boot to accept the flat, wide handle.....

IMAG3488-1_edit0_zpsae017a80.jpg

Hope that helps answer your question......

Mike

Hello. The rubber bushing in question has now been removed. This pic shows the factory shift lever, with the rubber grommet surrounding the shift lever....

IMG_0321_zpsf1647a6b.jpg

Then, this picture shows the straight shaft installed, bolted directly to the transmission shifter with no rubber grommet.....note the green dot on the transmission arm.....

IMG_0327_zps954c14ae.jpg

I do not feel any major vibration transmitting up through the Hurst handle. It came with a couple of small bushing that fit inside the bolt holes, that I am sure help a bit. As far as how it makes such a difference? I can actually feel when the shifter is in a gear, rather than "bottoming out" in a gear and having the mushy rubbery give, it used to have. There is a very distinctive "Click, Click" when you engage gears. It feels just as good as the MGW on my 05 GT.

I had a friend drop by today, who had driven it stock. Had him take it for a drive, just to make sure I was not imagining the difference. He concurred....major improvement......

I picked up the Hurst handle on E Bay. Here is a link. If you do purchase this, make sure, as it says, to specify that you need the 8MM mounting bolt kit. They include it, with the grommets I mentioned at no charge.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=281104306090

Mike

I went ahead and ordered this today. I decided to go this route because I like the stock look and the price is right. The Billet Pro Shop handle looks really nice, but for $200 I think I would rather spend the money on a whole new shifter (MGW's shifter is $350), and I already have the Shelby Store's Grabber Blue shift knob.

Thanks for the write up! :)

I went ahead and ordered this today. I decided to go this route because I like the stock look and the price is right. The Billet Pro Shop handle looks really nice, but for $200 I think I would rather spend the money on a whole new shifter (MGW's shifter is $350), and I already have the Shelby Store's Grabber Blue shift knob.

Thanks for the write up! :)

Let us know how it goes, and post up some pics. Hope you are as happy with this mod as I have been.

Mike

Can someone advise me on the adaptor to fit your stock knob on this handle. I would like to get this but cannot until I get this part.

Thanks

Let us know what year your car is. Also, which handle are you looking at, the old school flat Hurst, or the one that I used in the beginning of the thread? Will try to help....

Mike

Let us know what year your car is. Also, which handle are you looking at, the old school flat Hurst, or the one that I used in the beginning of the thread? Will try to help....

Mike

I have a 2013 and was looking at the round handle.

I think I found the adapter Mine I think is a 10mm 1.25 pitch

this insert will change the knob to 12mm x 1.25

http://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/356036-h.htm

I have a 2013 and was looking at the round handle.

I think I found the adapter Mine I think is a 10mm 1.25 pitch

this insert will change the knob to 12mm x 1.25

http://www.shelbysto...-p/356036-h.htm

I may still be confused, but......You are correct in that the 2013 has a 10mm x 1.25 pitch. If you change the shift handle to the round Hurst that I used, the Hurst handle will already be a 12mm x 1.25. So, unless I am mistaken, your issue will then be trying to use the stock ball, which would be threaded at 10mm x 1.25.

The adapter you noted above, says this.....

Use this shifter ball adapter kit to covert our 12MM x 1.25 threads to a Hurst shifter

I believe the above adapter is meant to be used on a 2007 to 2009 shift ball. I think.

When I did mine, I bought the new Shelby shift ball at the same time, which came with all the necessary adapters to use on the Hurst 12mm x 1.25 handle....

http://www.shelbystore.com/Shelby-GT500-Shift-Knob-p/s7m-7213-c.htm

Again, maybe I am just mis-understanding......But would hate for you to buy the adapter listed and not have it work.....

Mike

Archived