TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT350 Front End Mask Survey

Attention GT350 owners!

Gary Disney, president of Designer Auto Accessories which manufactures Shelby car covers and bras, said his company will manufacture a front end mask for the GT350's if there is an order for 10 masks. His company is located in SoCal and he would need a GT350 to use to layout patterns. I did not ask about cost but assume it would be comparably priced to the GT500's. So, if you are interested in getting a mask please respond to this posting.

As a GT350 owner, I can tell you first hand that it is extremely upsetting getting rock chips in the beautiful painted stripes. Filling and matching the Shelby proprietary metallic paint (thanks Jer!) is proving impossible after one week of extensive repair efforts.

I'm planning to get the 3M clear bra installed but also want to get a mask which will add the benefit of providing protection to the intercooler which is directly exposed to debris and bugs. It will also protect the grille and radiator from debris and bugs.

Thanks, Tom

Tom,

When you say a front end mask, are you referring to a standard type of bra, or a clear bra? Did he give you any idea on cost?

Thanks,

John

Fabric bra (not 3M clear bra). $199.

I know of at least one more rock chip I picked up while driving to the Shelby Tribute. The front got splattered with bugs at night on the return trip and I haven't washed the car yet but won't be surprised if there is more damage. I'm beginning to think painted stripes were a mistake...

At $199, it would be foolish not to buy one and at least have it as an accessory. I'm sure we could get them customized with CSM #'s, GT350 Logo, Shelby Foundation logo, etc.

" I'm beginning to think painted stripes were a mistake..."

I've had both and I still think the painted stripes are far superior. I'm just having a difficult time thinking of strapping on a bra. I've had friends who've had some bad results with them.....tough one.

John

John,

I felt the same way about using a fabric bra and even a clear bra. Chips, scratches, etc are expected if one is going to drive their vehicle. I live in NorCal in a semi-rural area with farms and rough roads. Ironically, all the chips have occurred on the freeways like I-5.

One thought with the fabric bra is too place clear tear off material under the leading edges of the bra where chaffing may occur. Run the bra on long portions of a trip and remove for local driving. The tear off material comes in various width rolls and is inexpensive. I'm still considering the 3m clear too.

Short of bubble wrapping the car and putting it in a hermetically sealed conditioned vault never to be driven, not sure what other options are doable. I've heard there is a temporary spray that can be applied for protection. Any ideas?

Tom

Tom,

The bubble wrap might be the best answer!

I've read of several different types of protective wraps, films, etc. on this and other sites. They all seem to have up- and down-sides to them, not to mention that most are pretty expensive. I've almost resigned myself to drive the car until it gets dinged up too badly and then just have the front repainted and start over. I've been pretty lucky so far with the touch up paint so I'm hoping it'll be a while before I need to do anything drastic.

But no, no magic bullet yet!

John

Other than the hood isn't the GTS nose the same? Perhaps you could check in that section to see if anyone there might join in to get greater number and ask for the alternate hood option. I run Colgan bra's on my cars for long trips and remove for local driving. There is no noticeable wear after many years of use.

Archived