TEAM SHELBY FORUM

1 Month into Ownership, I have questions......

Greetings People,

Let me start by saying, I love this car. Probably more than I had anticipated.....But I do have a couple of questions / comments I am hoping current owners can comment on.....Specifically, shifter and clutch.....

By way of background, the Shelby is my Third current inventory of Mustangs. Also have an 05GT, 08Bullitt, and the 11Cobra.

The 05 has a Vortech Blower, MGW Short Throw, shorties, 4.10's, etc, etc. etc. 8 years of blood sweat and tears.....

The Bullitt is bone stock drivetrain wise.

The Cobra is bone stock. So, here is the comments and questions........

WHAT IS UP WITH THE SHIFTER AND CLUTCH IN THIS CAR???? I know it has a factory short throw, but comparing it to the MGW in the 05 is Apples and Oranges. And, the MGW in the 05 is first generation, beta testing of first batch, not even the newer model.

The clutch in the Cobra engages way to the top of the stroke. This is not terribly unlike the Bullitt, but at times I think I am going to run out of pedal.....The clutch in the 05, even though it is an aftermarket Exedy Mach 500, engages about half an inch from the floor......

What is with the placement of the shift lever in the Cobra? In neutral, it is already tipping toward the dash. In first or third gear, it is so far forward, the top of the shift knob is not readable. I know I can feel the shifter shaft is bent under the boot in the forward position.....Why? Why not straight up, so the shift ball remains readable through the pattern?

When landing in gear, why does it feel like I just bumped up against a sponge? Sometimes if hitting a gear too hard, it feels as though the shifter handle could bend, it is so mushy.....

In the 05 with the MGW, it hits gear and feels rock solid. The Cobra currently feels more like the Bullitt, just without the long rowboat shift.

I guess what I am getting at here, is this typical of what others have found in their 11's? Is the obvious cure of aftermarket shifter the best alternative? And what about the clutch pedal being so far toward the top of the throw...? Car on has 11K miles......has not been beaten......

Any comments or such from current owners are welcomed!!

Thanks,

Mike

Pretty much correct on all counts. The biggest thing for me is switching to the hydraulic clutch. They feel different, there is no doubt but you get used to it. Its probably the fact that you drive your cars back-to-back that gives you a better sense of the differences. Unless you're a real gear-banger, most people are okay with the shifter feel. You can't go wrong with the MGW and shifting with a flick of the wrist. When I'm moving the GT350's around I can't believe how much better that shifter is from my GT500. If not for the fact I have several other areas I want to address first it would have already been upgraded. Its not in your head... you're just working with more information than most new owners. Consider yourself lucky.... you know how to fix it right away.

Its not in your head... you're just working with more information than most new owners. Consider yourself lucky....[/color]]

Jeff, very true, as jumping from one car to the other in my driveway or garage, it drives me nuts..... :shrug::shrug: Good to see that this is a typical perception with the Cobra, and not unusual....Yeah, know how to fix it, just did not want to get into shifter mods just yet.....

Simple solution to the shifter handle location. Get yourself a Hurst shift handle/knob kit, and a roush boot. About a 100 bucks, and you end up with a straight handle(not bent forward) & a much more solid feel(no more mush).....

More good advice. I am going to start looking into what shift handles are available after market. This is a viable alternative that you show....For some reason, I prefer the small opening on the stock boot, so I need to also check if there are after market straight handles available in that mode. If not, nothing at all wrong with the Hurst....by any means.

Thanks for the input gentlemen, appreciate it. Keep em coming folks......

Mike

Stock GT500 shifter is complete junk....inaccurate and numb going between the gears. I'm sure it's just a cost cutting move on the part of Ford...or perhaps noise reduction by using rubber bushings. Go do yourself a big favor and invest in a Barton or MGW shifter...best move I ever made. It raised my appreciation for my '12 GT500 to all new levels. Now I just love running through the gears...whether on the track or driving around town. Best $400 I ever spent!

Simple solution to the shifter handle location. Get yourself a Hurst shift handle/knob kit, and a roush boot. About a 100 bucks, and you end up with a straight handle(not bent forward) & a much more solid feel(no more mush).....

I agree with you. I can't believe how much better the stock shifter feels with this combo. The stock shifter isn't that bad...but the stock lever with that huge rubber bushing is junk!!

Thanks Guys,

I did go ahead and order a replacement handle. It is a Hurst, but is not the same as the one shown. This one will allow me to maintain the factory boot, which I will eventually replace with a leather boot with stripes. Also ordered the GT500 shift ball from Shelby, black with white stripes, which I was going to do anyway......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&vxp=mtr&item=281104306090

Mike