TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Running Harnesses AND OEM Seat belts?

07SGT5687

So I KNOW there are some VERY opinionated folks around here when it comes to the use of aftermarket harnesses, harness bars, etc., however I REALLY would like to find a way to run both OEM seat belts (for street use) and 5 point harnesses (for track use only) and NOT have to make modifications to mount them both. I spoke with Corbeau and while they DID give me the company line about them not recommending it... they then went on to say they know MANY people do it and it's still been a widely accepted way to safely do dual use. That last part was said to be strictly off the record, however.

So what I would LIKE to do it be able to mount my harness lap belts to the same points as my existing OEM belts. However in at least the left (outer) side the problem is that after adding a harness bar plate and now the harness lap belt mounting plate, the OEM bolt is not long enough.

Question #1: Does anyone have the technical knowledge to tell me if a longer bolt with some kind of improved grade or strength would allow me to do this within a reasonable margin of safety? I mean, if I have to go 1/2" longer, is there a improved grade or strength of "X" that might "offset" the increased length?

Question #2: Installation of the harness bar mounting plate - as far as I can tell - already adds about 1/4" of depth to the OEM bolt (or with it, the OEM bolt is 1/4" less threaded into the body mount)... Corbeau seems to be okay with that. So if I get a stronger bolt than OEM and go 1/2" longer, and mount the OEM belt, the harness belt and the harness plate... am I any less safe than what Corbeau does to mount the harness bar with OEM belts?

Ultimately, I'd like to know if anyone has done this so far and what the GENERAL concensus is for it's level of sacrifice (if any) on safety.

Thanks, JR

I do exactly what you are contemplating. I do not have my car here at work so I cannot say exactly how close the mounting points for the harnesses are to the OEM seat belts mounting points. I do know that we did not use the same mounting points for both. We never contemplated that because, candidly, it was not that big of a deal to give the harnesses (5 point) their own mounting points. When I track the car, I just buckle the OEM belts behind the seats so the senors do not get excited thinking I am not belted in. My speed shop installed the harnesses and did not mention any particular challenges to getting everything to co-exist in peace and harmony. Good luck with your set up.

Jim

I do exactly what you are contemplating. I do not have my car here at work so I cannot say exactly how close the mounting points for the harnesses are to the OEM seat belts mounting points. I do know that we did not use the same mounting points for both. We never contemplated that because, candidly, it was not that big of a deal to give the harnesses (5 point) their own mounting points. When I track the car, I just buckle the OEM belts behind the seats so the senors do not get excited thinking I am not belted in. My speed shop installed the harnesses and did not mention any particular challenges to getting everything to co-exist in peace and harmony. Good luck with your set up.

Jim

I've actually just been looking through your sig pic album and noticed a couple of very helpful things... First, that you are in fact running a dual setup... but it's sounds like on separate mounts, so I'll have to look at that some more. But also that you do in fact have anti-sub belts... on BOTH sides... WITH the fire extinguisher mounted in front of the passenger seat... Might I has how that works out? Might allow me to disregard my thoughts on the other thread I have going about the fire extinguisher. Did they use an ant-sub bar or just mount the belt directly to something else that allows it to NOT interfere with the fire extinguisher?

I've actually just been looking through your sig pic album and noticed a couple of very helpful things... First, that you are in fact running a dual setup... but it's sounds like on separate mounts, so I'll have to look at that some more. But also that you do in fact have anti-sub belts... on BOTH sides... WITH the fire extinguisher mounted in front of the passenger seat... Might I has how that works out? Might allow me to disregard my thoughts on the other thread I have going about the fire extinguisher. Did they use an ant-sub bar or just mount the belt directly to something else that allows it to NOT interfere with the fire extinguisher?

Before I had my fire suppression system, I had an extinguisher mounted on the passenger seat. I took that out when I put in the suppression system. But the way I had it mounted to the passenger seat, it did not interfere with the anti-submarine belt.

Jim

These nickel plated brackets from CoolTech allow you to use the factory seat bolts to mount your lap belts. I also mount my anti-submarine belts there as well. Now your factory 3 point belt is fully functional and not touched, while you can opt to use the harnesses whenever.

http://www.cooltechllc.com/Boss/Boss_ClipSet1Seat.shtml

These nickel plated brackets from CoolTech allow you to use the factory seat bolts to mount your lap belts. I also mount my anti-submarine belts there as well. Now your factory 3 point belt is fully functional and not touched, while you can opt to use the harnesses whenever.

http://www.cooltechl...pSet1Seat.shtml

Wow interesting. I might have to get those... but they would still require a longer bolt I would assume... being equal to if not thicker than the belt mounting plate itself. And how do you mean you mounted your Anti-sub belt to them as well? Do you mean you got a second set and mounted them under the front seat somewhere that the anti-sub belt connected to? Sorry... not following you there... Might you have pics?

The factory seat bolts are long enough and you re-use them.

The harnesses I use are from CoolTech as well. They're six point harnesses and so the anti sub belt is really two of them and go over the sides of the seat and back to the same two brackets.

See here for the harnesses, you can order them plain or with the Boss logos. http://www.cooltechllc.com/Boss/Boss_Harness2Seat.shtml

My Ford GT has a setup that allows both the OEM seatbelts and racing harnesses to coexist. Now the GT has a place to mount the shoulder harnesses so you'd still need a harness bar for that, but the rest of the package just mounts under the seat somehow. I know several setups are available but I would think the lap belt part of it would work everywhere. I'll try to find it this weekend.

I have had a harness bar with both a six-point harness and the stock seat belts installed in my '99 Mustang Cobra for a many years. No problem whatsoever.

Also have harness bar and a 4 point harness in my '09 GT500KR.

In both cases, the stock bolts or the ones provided with the bars work fine.

Like others have said, remember to connect the seat belts behind the seats when you are using the harness to keep chimes under control. - They do stop after a lap or so if you forget.

Schroth makes a certified 4 point system that works fine if you don't have a racing seat.

Archived