TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Harness Bar Fire Extinguisher mount

07SGT5687

So I've recently gotten a Corbeau Harness bar and will soon be installing harnesses. I've already begun installing the Corbeau 5 point harness on the drivers side with the wolf racing anti-submarine bar (another story...).

I've also nearly pulled the trigger on the components necessary for the Brey Krause/Shelby/Safecraft fire extinguisher setup that mounts just in front and below the passenger seat.

That said, I realized that if I want to do a 5 point harness for the passenger seat (without doing full race seats), the anti-submarine bar will interfere with the fire extinguisher mounting.

Additionally, I was thinking that in the event of a fire, the passenger floor might be a difficult place to get the fire extinguisher from... at least in that it's very accessible from the passenger side once you've exited the vehicle, but not very accessible from the drivers side once you've exited the vehicle.

Soooooo... I thought what is a better place to mount that fire extinguisher that that won't interfere with the 5 point harness on the passenger seat AND will be a bit better of a central location from either side of the vehicle. My thought is to mount it ON and BEHIND the Harness bar between the seats. It would be equi-distant from both sides and frankly seems more accessible from anywhere in the cabin. Especially if for some reason you're having trouble getting out of your harness, in which case the passenger floor is going to be way too far away.

All that said... does anyone disagree with my logic or have anything to add? Do you think it's a good idea? If not, why? And I ALREADY KNOW there are strong opinions on the legitimacy of harnesses and harness bars... PLEASE CAN WE NOT RELIVE that conversation?

Looking forward to your thoughts.

PS - pic attached... it would basically just mount to the Harness bar behind and straddling the the Corbeau plaque in the middle of the bar. And I know it's not optimum to run stock seats, but as soon as I find a set of the GT500/Boss Recaros for less than $2500, I'll get that taken care of... ;)

post-29278-0-56914900-1367601262_thumb.jpg

post-29278-0-56914900-1367601262_thumb.jpg

Given that this is TS and we get to go bottom line right away, I see it as fair to say "out loud" that the fire extinguisher in your car (no matter what any governing body says) is not to use on a fire in your car. It is to use on a fire in another guy's car. I say that in terms of the "getting to it if you need it" part of your post. If you are serious about wanting to protect your car and yourself from an on board fire, you need a fire suppression system. With a fire suppression system, you pull the T handle in the cabin and get the heck out of there. On another topic, I see that you have your shoulder harnesses outside the posts of the head rest. You typically see them inside the posts. Given that I am always open to hearing the thoughts of others on everything about our cars, I ask for your thinking on having them outside the posts. Thanks (seats look great by the way).

Jim

Given that this is TS and we get to go bottom line right away, I see it as fair to say "out loud" that the fire extinguisher in your car (no matter what any governing body says) is not to use on a fire in your car. It is to use on a fire in another guy's car. I say that in terms of the "getting to it if you need it" part of your post. If you are serious about wanting to protect your car and yourself from an on board fire, you need a fire suppression system. With a fire suppression system, you pull the T handle in the cabin and get the heck out of there.

Interesting... I hadn't heard the point of view before that it's primary use for other cars, not your own... which honestly, makes sense, in that I find it would be less than advisable to reach into a burning vehicle to get the fire extinguisher However, there are probably also a lot of lesser/minor circumstances where small localized fires in the engine bay or wheel wells, could easily be extinguished on your own vehicle as well... but I do see your point. Which leads me to your next point... while I would like to say I'm serious... I just want to go to the furthest reasonable extent to provide whatever safety measures I can while still understanding that my car is a track day/weekend car, not a racecar... and that I also want to keep it as stock-returnable as possible - if not entirely. I'm not outfitting it to safeguard against catastrophe... more against avoidable minor-moderate "events"... if that makes any sense.

On another topic, I see that you have your shoulder harnesses outside the posts of the head rest. You typically see them inside the posts.

For what it's worth, I had JUST attached the shoulder harnesses and flung them over the seat for that pic, but I DID wonder about that. And your sig pic actually answered that for me before I even read your post! Seeing that you have the stock seats... do you have an anti-sub belt? i would have gone without it had I not found out that NASA doesn't allow 4 point harnesses anymore (I'm told).

Looking forward to your and others further comments/thoughts.

I also want to keep it as stock-returnable as possible - if not entirely. I'm not outfitting it to safeguard against catastrophe... more against avoidable minor-moderate "events"... if that makes any sense.

For what it's worth, I had JUST attached the shoulder harnesses and flung them over the seat for that pic, but I DID wonder about that. And your sig pic actually answered that for me before I even read your post! Seeing that you have the stock seats... do you have an anti-sub belt? i would have gone without it had I not found out that NASA doesn't allow 4 point harnesses anymore (I'm told).

Looking forward to your and others further comments/thoughts.

With my fire suppression system, the only thing that takes away the stock look is the T handle on the dash. The rest is under the hood and in the trunk. I have this fear of fire. That is why I wear a suit on the track. I want as much protection as I can get should things go really wrong. As for my harnesses, yes, they are 5 point. It did not make sense to me to stop with 4 point.

Jim

Clark,

Agreed. The fire extinguisher in your car is for putting someone else out, then their car. If you feel you need something for your car, invest in a suppression system for your car.

On the shoulder harnesses, I have mine on the outside of the headrest for two reasons. First being that the notches for the head rest adjustment are on the inside and they are sharp, meaning that they will cut the harness. Second, I am 6'2" and the harness falls more naturally without being bunched up behind my neck. I have an RPM roll bar and the harness attachment points just have to be angled outward slightly for the harness to go outside the head rest posts.

YMMV.

Archived