TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Laguna Seca Burning Oil

mherman2

Fellas,

On the Shelby Bash a couple cars behind me said they say some blue smoke when at speed and in gear and coming off the throttle. Upon my return from the Bash I brought the car into a Ford Dealer here in SD. ford started an official oil consumption test on the car. It has 10k miles, 2012 Boss 302 LS. I started reading up and found quite a few more earlier 2012's that people had issues with burning oil.

In any event, after 800 miles the car burned 3.5 quarts of oil. Ford has been great on the phone with the dealership working through it as the car is under warranty. Yesterday it passed the compression test and leak down test. The head engine mechanic working with Ford is guessing Rings or Valve guides. I love the car I hope the issue can be resolved but Ford has been great thus far working with us. Will keep you posted.

Any guesses out there? I will give the answer when I get it. Car was meticulously maintained to the point of the issue arising.

I know of a Boss owner that traded his in recently because it burned too much oil. And my buddy's 2011 5.0 is down 3+ quarts (8 quart capacity) every time the oil is changed. Something is not right with those engines.

Edit: I hope you get your car repaired properly. Please let us know the cause if you can.

It is widely known that early B302 motors had this issue. Ford changed the ring design and that solved the oil consumption problem. I personally know 4 people who suffered the extreme of this issue - blown motors. Ford did step up and replace all 4, no questions asked.

My 2013 Boss 302 DOES NOT burn any oil at all. I have 5,000 miles on it and change the oil about every 1,000 miles. I would say about 3,000 miles is on the road course and it never has used oil at all. I know that 2012 Boss's had issues with oil consumption and blown motors but have not heard of this issue on 2013 Boss's.

Glad I waited so Ford could get the bugs worked out and I also didn't have to pay the 2012 Boss Admins.

Most likely a ring issue.

Roger

That's what the tech thinks too. He can see cylinder wall damage with the bore scope. I'm just doing everything Ford asks. On simple highway miles during the Shelby Bash before we ever put it on the track it was burning oil and blowing smoke when off the gas at highway speed.

Ford is sending an engineer our from Michigan to look at the engine. They have been great through this process, could be happier with their support and trying to find the problem.

OK, good luck, it would be interesting to find out what it is. And, yes, I think we all could be happier with the way Ford handles things sometimes.

Anyone install a catch can to see if it's getting sucked out the breather?

YES I have a JLT one and does catch oil but never has it filled the can. I would assume 1/2 inch in the can during 3 hours on the track would be normal.

OK, good luck, it would be interesting to find out what it is. And, yes, I think we all could be happier with the way Ford handles things sometimes.

I actually meant "Couldn't be happier" with the way they are handling this. They have been very responsive and supportive.

That's what the tech thinks too. He can see cylinder wall damage with the bore scope. I'm just doing everything Ford asks. On simple highway miles during the Shelby Bash before we ever put it on the track it was burning oil and blowing smoke when off the gas at highway speed.

Known to do this at cold start up also. Good luck with the issue and good to see you are happy with the progress and handling of the process.

Roger

It will be interesting to see what they finally learn. I would guess from what I see in the racing world, is that most of the oil is being sucked through the intake from the cam covers. These cars pump an amazing amount of oil on the valve train. Under extreme use of the Boss race cars, I've seen a lot of oil in the catch cans from the cam covers. I've seen the Ford engineers at the races working to solve this also with different cam covers, etc. They should put a couple oil catch cans/filters in line of the breather tubes and see what they get on your car. Maybe you can suggest that.

If it passed the compression and leak down tests it sounds like the rings and valves are good. Kind of curious why the tech would say possibly rings after running and passing these tests. Guides sound more likely letting the oil pass and into the combustion chamber. Hopefully you get things straightened out soon.

Archived